PDA

View Full Version : C70 front offside caliper carrier bolt issue.

foammanmark
Saturday 21st September 2013, 21:07
Due to a seizing caliper, I tried to change it today, but due to a seized upper caliper carrier bolt I haven't been able to do the job. The bolt appeared to be slightly rounded, and a 15mm socket was too loose, but a 14mm socket too tight. Tried spanners, and managed to get a 9/16" to fit, but it still wouldn't slacken. Thinking now that if I can loosen the lower bolt and swing the carrier to the side, might be my only option.

Tips appreciated please.................

daza-b
Saturday 21st September 2013, 21:23
Get some heat on it with a small blow torch or similar, get a 9/16 socket and hit it on so its tight and some wd40 too sgould come off then

t5 pete
Saturday 21st September 2013, 21:27
Heat its the only thing that will budge it

foammanmark
Saturday 21st September 2013, 21:34
Heat its the only thing that will budge it

Hair dryer?

stribo
Saturday 21st September 2013, 21:38
Plenty of penetrating oil (plus gas or similar) and give it a couple of belts with a big hammer, making sure not to damage the head of the bolt.

foammanmark
Saturday 21st September 2013, 21:45
Plenty of penetrating oil (plus gas or similar) and give it a couple of belts with a big hammer, making sure not to damage the head of the bolt.

Cheers Stribo, but the head of the bolt damage has already happened. I'll sort it...............eventually.

t5 pete
Saturday 21st September 2013, 21:53
Hair dryer?

Yep that will do the trick keep it on for a few days and it should do the job lol
I doubt you will have access to oxy acetylene so just a standard blow torch will do but remember dont warm the bolt warm the housing that the bolt is in as that will expand also be care full not to dry the wheel bearing out so try to deflect heat away from the hub and water to keep cool

foammanmark
Saturday 21st September 2013, 22:18
Yep that will do the trick keep it on for a few days and it should do the job lol
I doubt you will have access to oxy acetylene so just a standard blow torch will do but remember dont warm the bolt warm the housing that the bolt is in as that will expand also be care full not to dry the wheel bearing out so try to deflect heat away from the hub and water to keep cool

Cheers Pete, I will bear all of the above in mind. I love my brake issues...................

Harvey
Saturday 21st September 2013, 22:59
Get some heat on it with a small blow torch or similar, get a 9/16 socket and hit it on so its tight and some wd40 too sgould come off then

Also best to use a 6 sided socket not a 12 sided one.

foammanmark
Saturday 21st September 2013, 23:20
Also best to use a 6 sided socket not a 12 sided one.

Cheers for that. My neighbour kept on saying use a special socket, which I presume was a 6 sided one.