PDA

View Full Version : V70 R update

ChrisB
Monday 16th September 2013, 22:28
Hi Guys,
Solved the fractured OTE pipe problem for now, probably not as original but it works. Cut off the fractured right hand mount, bought a 70mm silicone sleeve from Demon Tweeks, slid it over the resultant hole in the plastic OTE pipe, two stainless jubilee clips, job done for around £7, Volvo wanted £217 for a replacement plastic pipe and a silicone replacement from the states was approx £300 so only time will tell. Next constant "chassis suspension service req'd messages so on investigation both rear shocks were leaking although only just with a slight misting on the offside front so I had no choice but to bite the bullet., so much for 4c active suspension. Volvo wanted £500 per shocker, plus vat, plus fitting so went to Monroe factory shop and found they were £271 each, then found a link to Wanapart in London from someone on here and they supplied them for £638 incl vat for all four. Bought replacement rear discs, pads, replacement handbrake linings and spring kit, and front pads at the same time , the front discs had been replaced last year when I bought the car. Fitting the shockers was fairly straight forward and I also replaced both of the upper and lower strut mounts as a precaution, but getting at the offside wiring plug on the rear took almost an hour and a very black thumbnail! I presume I will have to go to a Volvo indi to re-calibrate the suspension, but so far it works, changes setting like it should, is so much better than previous with no messages so have I been lucky or will the parameters still require re-setting? I have a clunck when selecting drive or reverse and at no other time so got a friend to help and found that the top engine mount was like a piece of lard and the lower gearbox to sub frame small bush was non existent so decided I would use poly bushes despite the poor reports of some members on here. I fitted a strut brace stiffening kit, upper engine mount and rear strut brace bush (Volvo told me there was not a bush in the rear of the strut brace) and both of the lower gearbox to sub frame bushes. I still have the slight clunk when selecting Drive or Reverse, but apart from a slight increase in vibration mainly at low speeds the poly bushes are fine so again only time will tell. I have checked the drive shaft bolts and they are tight