PDA

View Full Version : Insurance made easy

HODDY
Wednesday 26th October 2005, 10:04
Don't know if you are all aware but there is a insurance search web-site that you may be aware of but it saved me £210.

http://www.confused.com

well worth it, just fill in all your details and it lists all the insurance providers in price order.

stuAWD
Wednesday 26th October 2005, 12:12
Nice one.

siamblue
Wednesday 26th October 2005, 13:57
cheers mate mine is due in Jan this year it was £700 fully comp, so i will see,

HODDY
Wednesday 26th October 2005, 14:08
no probs glad I could help, I had quotes from £311 to £768. The search brought back about 40 insurance quotes.

siamblue
Thursday 27th October 2005, 01:19
Hi Hoddy did a search for mine and it beat it by £155, £545 fully comp or £388 FP,

Quote me happy for sure.

Andrew
Monday 31st October 2005, 09:57
The problem with confused, the aa etc is they work with a select number of main insurers. Try a few out. Mine was 650 a year. Went to admiral and it halfed... not sure why.... but I was happy enough :D

Kent Canary
Monday 31st October 2005, 20:21
£426 this year, through Elephant. Oddly Admiral were £10 cheaper, and Elephant are owned by.. Admiral! The Elephant qoute was a biut higher before I rang them to tell them about the lower quote and they dropped the price down..!

S60D5
Tuesday 1st November 2005, 00:33
£426 this year, through Elephant. Oddly Admiral were £10 cheaper, and Elephant are owned by.. Admiral! The Elephant qoute was a biut higher before I rang them to tell them about the lower quote and they dropped the price down..!

Yeah.. Admiral were cheaper for me too by £10 or so!

I paid £504.

I tried Confused and the cheapest quote was in the region of £1,630.

C70T5auto
Tuesday 1st November 2005, 17:56
Another site that I have used is

http://www.insuresupermarket.com/motor/

Found these really good for quotes.

lance
Tuesday 1st November 2005, 18:30
Anyone wants to try adrianflux Pm me and I will give you a special number which means I get a tiny bit of commision!
Confused . com and the like are good though, although First alternative gave me a great price on the V70 . My Mrs 854 T5 is with diamond for ladies only but for some reason it was £20 cheaper with me on there as a named driver even though im under 30!

arbee
Sunday 27th November 2005, 00:12
I tried confused and got a reasonable price, with them recommending Norwich Union. Out of interest I did the quote directly on norwich unions website. the quote came back over £100 cheaper, all the same details, excess etc etc! Its worth checking confused's prices directly with insurer/brokers!

V70Man
Monday 28th November 2005, 23:15
OK, dragging this up again..

I am with Elephant, and have been for 7 years. They have been the cheapest by far for me with all sorts of cars, from cheap rust buckets, to Lancias to my T5.

I am very happy with them, but my renewal is due and they will not insure a RICA'd car. Mine is standard at the mo, but am looking at upgrading it in the future, and I don't want to go down the "Just don't declare it" route.

And so.. Does anyone have any recommendations of car insurers that are mod friendly, without having to phone a Max Power Hotline if you get my drift?

I currently pay £400 fully comp. If this is going to rise to say, over £600, then I will keep it standard .

wrighty
Tuesday 29th November 2005, 22:20
I too can vouch for Confused.com. My business partners mother in law has a volvo and had been insured through volvo since she bought it new. Last year she was paying £430 fully comp and this year (after no claims, points or anything!) in went up to £760.00.

We went on confused and managed to get her down to £153.00 a year fully comp... When we looked at the quotation that volvo ins. had done for her they still had the value price at £14000. The same as it was when it was new!

Just remember that cars depreciate in value as they well know... There's no chance on earth that they would have forked out £14000 is she had claimed!

£153.00 was quoted when we dropped the value to around £5000.

V70Man
Wednesday 30th November 2005, 06:59
I too can vouch for Confused.com. My business partners mother in law has a volvo and had been insured through volvo since she bought it new. Last year she was paying £430 fully comp and this year (after no claims, points or anything!) in went up to £760.00.

We went on confused and managed to get her down to £153.00 a year fully comp... When we looked at the quotation that volvo ins. had done for her they still had the value price at £14000. The same as it was when it was new!

Just remember that cars depreciate in value as they well know... There's no chance on earth that they would have forked out £14000 is she had claimed!

£153.00 was quoted when we dropped the value to around £5000.

Yeah I always wondered what the point of the "car value" was. Like you say they look up in their price tables and pay accordingly on a claim.

NugentS
Wednesday 30th November 2005, 13:31
Yeah I always wondered what the point of the "car value" was. Like you say they look up in their price tables and pay accordingly on a claim.

With my insurance - if I pay a few quid extra (don't remember exactly how much) I get a garuanteed payout at a value that I set (and they accept).

Sean

markt4
Sunday 11th December 2005, 16:27
our lass is paying £600 tpft for the t4 done a quote on confused and it will drop to £300 tpft when here insurance is up woohooo (but she has hit 30 years old and another 1 yr ncb which will be 4yrs)

:B_thumb:

siamblue
Sunday 11th December 2005, 17:23
I found my insurance has come right down now i have 4 yrs NCB, and i live in London. So for once it is reasonable.

RPM
Friday 17th February 2006, 21:51
admiral for me

350 fully comp, protected no claims!!!!

phil
Tuesday 28th March 2006, 11:40
I tried confused and not a single company will offer a qoute

for my ricad car

so Ill have to stay where i am

Ive over 10 yrs no claims and 3 points

S60D5
Tuesday 28th March 2006, 11:49
Confused is CRAP

I put in all my details, and the cheapest quote they could give me was £1,017.00 on my S60 D5. That was with Norwich Union.

Guess what? I went to the Norwich Union website and filled out their form, and the quote (which included an identical excess etc) was £688.00

What the hell?

I tried it again with my Dads details, as his insurance is due in a month or so, and yet again, Confused gave a highish quote which was halved when I went to the insurers website and got a quote direct.

I won't ever bother using Confused again.

arbee
Tuesday 28th March 2006, 21:53
Confused is CRAP

I put in all my details, and the cheapest quote they could give me was £1,017.00 on my S60 D5. That was with Norwich Union.

Guess what? I went to the Norwich Union website and filled out their form, and the quote (which included an identical excess etc) was £688.00

What the hell?

I tried it again with my Dads details, as his insurance is due in a month or so, and yet again, Confused gave a highish quote which was halved when I went to the insurers website and got a quote direct.

I won't ever bother using Confused again.

eactly the same experience, still it did show NU as cheapest, and it was - only even cheaper!

Engineer
Tuesday 28th March 2006, 22:06
Punters insurance? :slap: God bless the traders policy lol. :wink:

Baj
Sunday 2nd April 2006, 12:04
I had the opposite. Admiral, via confused was £540. I tried Admiral direct and it was a shade over £700.

My current car is insured with Bell (part of Admiral) so I asked what it would cost to get it changed over. £1010!

I swear they have a random number generator

fast-t5
Saturday 8th April 2006, 22:19
well mine is with adrian flux im 23 declared all mods wheels, brakes, suspension graphics etc with 6pts on lince 9pts for insurance £518 tpft aint bad for my age and points. the points i would like to add,
3pts for 34 mph in a 30 ok my fault
6pts (now this took the p*s) for taking a car to a pre booked mot with no mot tax or insurance so i got done for no insurance i didnt even no you could insure a car just to take it for an mot

Tomcat
Saturday 8th April 2006, 22:41
After some exstensive searching for cheaper insurance, I finally went with my current insurer. I'm 36, no points, 4 years no claims, parked on the street at night( at the moment), k&n filter, strut brace, performance exhaust, body mods, wheels etc... Prices ranged from " Sorry wont insure you", to £690 fully comp, finally down to £500 fully comp with my current insurer Adrian Flux. The cheapest other quote I got was with Chris Knott for around £570 fully comp.

It pays to shop around, but sometimes its better to stay put!!.

Baj
Sunday 9th April 2006, 21:11
We should point out that by far the largest factor on quotes is your location.
I had one company tell me that no-one they dealt with would insure me due to my postcode despite having a car broken into 3 times at my last address and none here (touch wood).

JackT5
Monday 10th April 2006, 06:33
Being a bit of a numpty:slap: i didn't realise that age/value of the car had such an impact on insurance until i came to insure the new motor. 02 plate S80 D5 and the insurance is £60 more than my T5, yes i did a search too, Quote me happy for an example wanted an extra £200 so staying where i am.

Vikingxl
Monday 10th April 2006, 07:44
A lot of it is down to postcode living in Birmingham i get hammered every year

T5ER
Thursday 13th April 2006, 23:09
just checked out insurance for mine £330 full comp full ncb protected 30 years old and garaged with the rac through confused i am with rac at the mo and they are the same price so good for me

gtiteen
Saturday 15th April 2006, 13:01
The problem with confused is that it doesnt cater for all the questions that the different insureres ask. I found that if you get a quote from confused always go to the insurers website and redo it through their system and it usually come out cheaper.
I've found Admiral and Elephant to be the best.
Oh yeah and another tip if your young like me put your parents on as named drivers, for some reason i found this takes the quote down!
Dave

monkey_boy
Monday 19th June 2006, 16:27
Just be careful of these online insurance searches. I obtained an online quote from Sainsbury's and Admiral. I was already insured with Sainsbury's and thought i would just transfer the car over. Admiral quoted £577 online and Sainsbury's £720. I rang sainsbury's to arrange the cover and they didnt even ask about a price just told me my premium was £520. So be warned. Online isnt necessarily the cheapest. However Confused is pretty good. I got my Triumph Speed triple insured through them at 120% cheaper than i found phoning around!

T-5ones
Monday 19th June 2006, 17:23
I agree, it is a good money and time saving site and is how I got my insurance through Admiral - around £300 for the V70 T-5 (living in the sticks does have an advantage!)

But I got a cheaper quote via Admiral's own web site than the admiral quote on confused.com

Adge
Monday 19th June 2006, 18:12
probably teaching grandmothers to suck eggsbut beware cheap insurance.
My initial quotes seemed attractive until I compared like-with -like.
Once you add in extras for such things as foreign cover, free hire car in event of accident, legal expenses cover, similar voluntary excess etc.etc. The cheaper firms suddenly became more expensive!

Adge
Monday 19th June 2006, 19:17
Forgot to add . £249 fuly comp with above all includedf. £350 total excess. Through Chris. Knott with Highway.

adriancole
Monday 19th June 2006, 19:27
Im with Admiral, living central London, off street parking, not the greatest area, aged 35, 8years NCB and fully comp quoted £540,......then addded girlfriend, who is 6 months older than me, only had a full licence for two years...quote went down to £490!! Was very amused at that...thought it would be much higher :)

T-5ones
Wednesday 21st June 2006, 09:41
Oops, yes I forgot to mention that the reason the premium went down was as a result of having Kirsty on the policy.

Anyone with a renewal due, try including a female driver on the policy for a quote, if you ave not already.

Is it just me, or is anyone else uncomfortable with the thought of someone else (no matter how much you love them) driving your car?:worried: