PDA

View Full Version : Rear lights assembly/wiring on a 2001 V70 - I think I have broken it :-(

Daniel B
Sunday 15th September 2013, 19:43
Hello all,

I'm going to blame this on a 4 week old baby and lack of sleep......

Had a warning message on "Position bulb failure" I think it was, had it half a dozen times before, and a light thump on the rear light cluster has until now been bringing it back into life.
Not this time though, so thought I would change the bulb....

Pulled out what I thought was the bulb, and turned out instead to be this little black plastic box, which also appears to have partially broken - notice only one plastic tab left in one of the holes, and then there was some clattering behind, and I extracted the 2 bits in the last picture - the nut may have just been there for some time I guess.

The end result is now that where I had 1 positioning light working before on the drivers side, I now have none :slap:

So my question is, should I just take it to the garage, and say "Here are the bits, here is the problem, can you please fix it?"

Or is there a possibility I can retrieve the situation and fix it myself?
I don't really understand what the little black plastic box does, as it doesn't appear to have any connectors, but then the other bulb is definitely no longer working, so it must be connected to that in some manner.
Wish I had just left it for the time being, or taken more time over it, hindsight and all that - thought it would be a quick job.
Not sure how easy it is to get to that top bulb anyway, as I think it is a way above the pull out cover in the rear, and also would be a way below the speaker cover (I think it's a speaker cover?) further up - I did not take it off to try at the time, thought I would probably break that too.

I'm guessing that it's probably going to be a bit too involved now to resolve myself, but thought it worth asking in case someone had replaced something similar, or knew a good place to get a spare part - assuming I need one.

I'm guessing I would need to take the whole rear light cluster off if I am going to fix it?

AndysR
Sunday 15th September 2013, 21:02
Looks like a wiring connector which plugs into the bulb holder/lamp cluster to me, can you not see where it connected to and refit it?

jdavis
Monday 16th September 2013, 06:54
The upper position light is on an extended braket for easy access. I don't remember seeing anything like that on mine

M-R-P
Monday 16th September 2013, 08:18
The upper position light is on an extended braket for easy access. I don't remember seeing anything like that on mine

Nor me. Weird.

Not an ex-plod is it?

Daniel B
Monday 16th September 2013, 08:24
Thanks for the replies gents,

it's deffo not ex plod, by gf's Dad bought it about 9 years ago from a private seller with 34k on the clock, and of course it's not white either :-)

I have decided to have a look at it the end of this week, luckily no night times required for the time being, so it's not quite as dire as I first thought.

I reckon I might need to get the light enclosure off from the outside so I can see the internals properly - any tips on how to achieve this?

Cheers

Dan

M-R-P
Monday 16th September 2013, 08:29
3 tiny little nuts hold the upper cluster on. You need 12" long fingers to get at them tho. Take the rear speaker grille off and have a feel about inside (a torch may help too)

Cam
Tuesday 17th September 2013, 21:38
the grey bit is the connector male side the black bit i think should be attatched to the cluster which makes it the female side . i think if you look in side the light unit you will see the terminals prob best to remove the light unit and try to stick the black bit back on