PDA

View Full Version : blown head gasket?

5seaterT5x2
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 22:56
just stumbled across this product. any thoughts? to good to be true?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STEEL-SEAL-HEAD-GASKET-REPAIR-BRAND-NEW-IN-STOCK-/160540669398

abdul
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 23:15
Too good to be true

AAnickmac
Wednesday 11th September 2013, 11:57
Have seen many products over the years. All a load of rubbish. At work ( roadside breakdown patrol) we use a thing called K seal. It also is meant to cure and repair head gaskets. Its fantastic on leaks externally but never found it to work on any thing else.

Gold 'N' Brown
Wednesday 11th September 2013, 12:17
It depends entirely on the location and the severity of the leak. But you also have to consider whether you want to put ££££e in your coolant system that <could> clog up waterways (think of cholesterol in your arteries).

If you feel you've nothing to lose, it can be a quick fix, and worth trying before going down the expensive repair route.

Does it work? I had a severe leak on my 205 GTI with Mi16 engine (1.9 16v alloy block). Coolant was literally pissing down the front of the block from one of the head bolts. THis had become evident on a journey from LOndon to Scotland (I was living in London at the time) and I was having to refill the expansion tank every few miles. When I got to Scotland I was advised my a fellow forum member (mechanic/engineer) to try using Holts Radweld as an emergency fix. I had to get the car back to London so had no option really.

The Radweld worked immediately, got my back home, and lasted for weeks/months until I had the head whipped off. And this was a severe leak. I cannot emphasise that enough. The reason for the leak was that both the head and the block had been previously skimmed and neither were true, so the gasket eventually failed around one of the head bolts.

I've heard similar good things about the miracle fixes that Kseal can do.

So as I said at the outset, if you aren't concerned with the downsides of these products, and just need a cheap quick fix, you may as well give it a go. If it's a very minor leak, I'm sure that all of these products will work.