PDA

View Full Version : Lining up cams without the marks..

Tomcat
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 17:09
Asking this for a guy I know. Is there a way of timing the cams up (changing timing belt I presume) without using the notches on the cam pulleys?.. Apparently some moron has cut more notches into the pulleys and he's not sure it's timed up properly. I suggested he examing the marks as you should be able to tell the factory marks from something someones added however he says he cant.

Volvostorm
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 22:46
If he hasn't all ready removed the belt, just make his own marks up, as long as everything lines up, it will be fine.

graemewelch
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 22:50
guessing he hasnt got vvt. it cant be that hard to find tdc and go from there

Tomcat
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 22:57
I dont think he's changing the belt, he just wants to make sure the cams are timed up right.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 23:09
Cam locking tool is the only way forward - assuming this is a Volvo engine.

Tomcat
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 23:18
Yeah it's a T5 engine Dave. Is there no way to visually check he's on the right timing marks??

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 23:41
You could try to see if the cam notches at the other end line up. On a HT lead car - you'd need to remove the dizzy on the inlet cam & the cam position sensor on the exhaust side.

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 11th September 2013, 10:01
Like Wobbly says he could check the dizzy end.

Some images on this page
http://www.tracystruesoaps.com/tutorials/850hg/p6.html

graemewelch
Wednesday 11th September 2013, 10:44
what symptoms dose the car have. must be sumit up for him to suspect its a timing issue. if timing was wrong it would run like a bag of nails

Tomcat
Wednesday 11th September 2013, 12:13
I've no idea Graeme, but I'll pass on all the above info. Cheers guys.

graemewelch
Wednesday 11th September 2013, 13:38
tc get him to join. then he can ask as many questions as he needs to rather than it end up being chinese wispors