PDA

View Full Version : Q: Fitting a MAF backwards..

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 7th September 2013, 10:22
I've done this for convenience rather than any performance modification. As the MAF is a plate reading sensor rather than a more accurate pito-probe, I can't see an issue and So far I haven't had any codes thrown up

but does any of the experts think the car will throw a wobbly eventually?

theflyingbrick
Saturday 7th September 2013, 12:11
Im surprised it runs tbh on my 850 t5 I accidently put the maf in the wrong way and it popped and banged and plumes of black smoke pouring out the exhaust! !

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 7th September 2013, 12:28
Might just be me then.. I can put it back quite easily though

Jamest5r
Saturday 7th September 2013, 13:19
Haha done that last week while fitting a bsr to the Mrs car would only run for a few secs and stank of fuel

claymore
Saturday 7th September 2013, 13:41
plus, isn't the grill there to even out the air flow?

jamesy12345
Saturday 7th September 2013, 14:04
plus, isn't the grill there to even out the air flow?

From a volvo 480 turbo expert (not me :D):

The MAF is to be blamed for the greatest loss. The two wire screens at both ends of the
MAF alone cause more than twice the loss of the airfilter, not just by their surface but also by the
turbulence they cause

claymore
Saturday 7th September 2013, 15:12
From a volvo 480 turbo expert (not me :D):

The MAF is to be blamed for the greatest loss. The two wire screens at both ends of the
MAF alone cause more than twice the loss of the airfilter, not just by their surface but also by the
turbulence they cause
It's fine to remove the wire screens, but you should NOT remove or cut out the plastic air straightener.

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 7th September 2013, 17:19
It's fine to remove the wire screens, but you should NOT remove or cut out the plastic air straightener.

Too late for that, but the rear has a airflow guide, which is now at the front...