PDA

View Full Version : 940 stalling

artfulflounder
Saturday 7th September 2013, 09:54
When driving at lower speeds intermitently when i take my foot off the accelerator the revs drop to 500rpm and the car stalls.

I've had the fuel pump relay out and checked /resoldered relay and the connector, pulled idle control valve out and cleaned with brake cleaner but still seems to be happening.

Any ideas what other bits i could try. Are fuel filters/pumps an issue??

Did try to find the diagnostics plug under bonnet near strut tower to check for codes but couldn't find it so wonder if mine has newer obd11 plug (1995 950t) ???

Going to clean all intake sensors and bits again over weekend but any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

T5frankie
Saturday 7th September 2013, 10:09
try a different icv mate

smithy
Saturday 7th September 2013, 13:23
Check the tps on the side of the tb and clean icv.also check for air leaks .

BoostWagon
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 11:48
Check the intake pipe from your airfilter/maf to the turbo inlet. They tend to dry out after years of heat and crack/fall apart/disintegrate :p

artfulflounder
Monday 16th September 2013, 13:24
Cheers for the advice guys.....

Managed to pick up another couple of icv's so cleaned them all up and choose best one.

Cleaned maf and checked all vacuum hoses, cleaned throttle body and all attached hoses and take offs.

Tps checked and adjusted.

Doesn't want to stall anymore off the throttle which is great but idles now at about 1400rpm so just need to adjust and its good to go.

artfulflounder
Monday 16th September 2013, 19:56
Dont currently have service manual so found this little excert about setting up idle and tps.....

Adjusting the LH2.4:1.

Adjusting Idle Linkage Rod.Ensure that when the cable drum is pushed off its endstop with a 2.5mm feeler blade, the gap between throttle lever and adjustment screw is from 0.1 and 0.45 mm. (This is the adjustment screw that mounts on the throttle lever, not the adjustment of the larger nut that attaches the lever to the throttle plate shaft). To achieve the above spec, adjust the throttle link rod (ball-socketed connection rod between drum and throttle lever)
2. Checking the Throttle Body (Plate and Throttle Position Switch)Adjustment Connect an accurate tachometer then warm up the engine. Let it idle in Park with a/c off. Pinch off the hose between the air intake and the IAC valve (don't damage the hose with something sharp!) Idle speed should drop below 500 rpm, or the engine may stop: both are normal. If idle speed does not drop, adjust as below.
3. Adjusting the Idle SpeedOn the front side of your throttle body, there is an adjustment screw.Loosen the lock nut. Start the engine and turn the adjustment screw until idle is 480-520 rpm. Switch off the engine and tighten the locknut while holding the adjustment screw so it doesn't turn.
 4. Checking the TPS Adjustment.Check the gap between the adjustment screw and the throttle lever with a feeler gauge. Insert a .45mm feeler gauge. There should be no click from the Throttle Position Switch on the rear side of thethrottle body when the throttle is closed. Then insert a .15mm feelergauge. There should be a click from the TPS when the throttle is closed. If these are incorrect, then adjust as below.
5. Adjusting the TPS.Loosen the TPS adjustment screws holding it to the throttle body.First turn the TPS clockwise (away from the electrical connector) untilit stops. While keeping your finger on the throttle disk so it won'tmove, turn the TPS counter-clockwise (toward the connector) until you hear or feel a click. Continue turning until it stops, then tighten the screws. Go back to step 3 above to check the adjustment.

All working fine for me now.

smithy
Monday 16th September 2013, 20:18
Weldone mate it is fiddley but does work when sorted .