PDA

View Full Version : Cost of upgrading rods and fitting.

T5REU
Friday 6th September 2013, 23:32
Anyone have an idea how much it cost to install a set of forged rods? Parts needed? Rods, head gaskets, head bolts? Oil? Want to fit my 19t but not sure if I dare until rods upgraded as mine is the 01 t5 . Anyone installed a 19t on the old v70 prior to 03 when engine swapped over. Any issues with bent rods?

t5 pete
Friday 6th September 2013, 23:58
If ur doing it ur self about 800 in parts

Jamest5r
Saturday 7th September 2013, 00:16
Done mine for about 1500 quid, rebore and rods pistons gaskets belts and timed up.

MoleT-5R
Saturday 7th September 2013, 07:14
Anyone have an idea how much it cost to install a set of forged rods? Parts needed? Rods, head gaskets, head bolts? Oil? Want to fit my 19t but not sure if I dare until rods upgraded as mine is the 01 t5 . Anyone installed a 19t on the old v70 prior to 03 when engine swapped over. Any issues with bent rods?

my mrs's V70R awd P1 phase3 comes as standard with a 19t turbo and green injectors, so I wouldn't worry to much unless your going to run a mbc instead of the tcv, ask frankie, as he should be able to tell you at what point the rods bend as he has bent probably more rods than anyone on here ....lol

T5REU
Saturday 7th September 2013, 09:43
I can get the facelift t5 engine, gear box and turbo for £300 but got to remove it myself which is a pain. The forge rods along will cost me £300 the need head gaskets kit. I'm tempted just bolt the 19t on and see what happens as I've always got the back up engine I can I stall if all goes wrong. The 19t R owners must have mapped their cars above 320bhp.woukd live to know what the max bhp they got out of a 19t with standard internals

T5frankie
Saturday 7th September 2013, 09:44
as adrian says its the mbc that will bend rods, i just find the boost comes in so late using the standard bcs its boring because it gradually builds and builds rather than all at once, which i love

you will be fine with the standard bcs and mapping

T5frankie
Saturday 7th September 2013, 09:45
I can get the facelift t5 engine, gear box and turbo for £300 but got to remove it myself which is a pain. The forge rods along will cost me £300 the need head gaskets kit. I'm tempted just bolt the 19t on and see what happens as I've always got the back up engine I can I stall if all goes wrong. The 19t R owners must have mapped their cars above 320bhp.woukd live to know what the max bhp they got out of a 19t with standard internals

a standard 19t will get you 320bhp, a modified one will reach up to 370bhp

T5REU
Saturday 7th September 2013, 09:57
Thanks mate. I have a standard 19t . When u say modified u mean a clipped compressor wheel or that and other stuff. My car has a stage 2 shark map on it at the minute. So was going to stick on the 19t and see how it copes with the stage 2 16t map.
What's the mbc and bcs? Lol only just learning stuff about these cars lol

T5REU
Saturday 7th September 2013, 10:03
I have a fmic fitted, full bsr exhaust, decat r down pipe, vxr injectors, facelift p2 facelift cold air induction upgrade and a water injection kit still to fit with boost control.

T5frankie
Saturday 7th September 2013, 10:05
Thanks mate. I have a standard 19t . When u say modified u mean a clipped compressor wheel or that and other stuff. My car has a stage 2 shark map on it at the minute. So was going to stick on the 19t and see how it copes with the stage 2 16t map.
What's the mbc and bcs? Lol only just learning stuff about these cars lol

my 19t has been clipped etc for more boost, volvo maps are designed to bring in boost late to protect the rods, a bcs is a boost control solenoid and is the standard part, an mbc is a manual boost controller and is fited instead of a bcs, an mbc though will bring in as much boost as you set it at but all in one go instead of gradually, hence will bend rods at around 18 psi or more

T5REU
Saturday 7th September 2013, 10:11
I'd rather have the boost feel like u get on a turbo diesel car, where it comes on really low down and puts u in the back of ur seat. Is that what u mean? And it's that that will bend my rods? I could do with finding a step by step guide to stripping down the engine, fitting rods and then building back up with all settings. The timing I don't want to ££££ up. I do have Al the tools as all work is done at mates garage and he has everything for most general mechanics.

T5REU
Saturday 7th September 2013, 10:12
For £300 I can get a facelift t5 engine gear box and turbo all in one lump. Would it be worth me getting that and installing the engine bottom end on mine and the kk turbo on to mine?

p fandango
Saturday 7th September 2013, 10:15
For £300 I can get a facelift t5 engine gear box and turbo all in one lump. Would it be worth me getting that and installing the engine bottom end on mine and the kk turbo on to mine?
2002- have a lighter crank in the engine & do have stronger rods, they won't be as strong as forged rods tho. I wouldn't touch a KKK turbo, stick to a 19t alot more reliable

T5REU
Saturday 7th September 2013, 10:15
So if I backed off the boost would it stay backed off all the way through the rev range or just Lower down and build up from what I set it to.?

T5frankie
Saturday 7th September 2013, 10:16
I'd rather have the boost feel like u get on a turbo diesel car, where it comes on really low down and puts u in the back of ur seat. Is that what u mean? And it's that that will bend my rods? I could do with finding a step by step guide to stripping down the engine, fitting rods and then building back up with all settings. The timing I don't want to ££££ up. I do have Al the tools as all work is done at mates garage and he has everything for most general mechanics.

when you fit an mbc to a 19t'd car the boost will all come in around the 3k mark at will light up the wheels in the 1st 3 gears just by pushing the peddle down, i have just bent a rod when i was last out in it at santa pod, i will be fitting rods now as i have done 4 or 5 engines in now using the same mbc lol,

yours is an me7 car anyway so you wont be able to use an mbc mate as the cars computer won't like it, but you will be able to get it mapped how you want if you change the rods

T5REU
Saturday 7th September 2013, 10:22
Right this is making far more sense now. Was told the kkk are like chocolate lol. Ok so if I get my 19t compressor wheel or turbine? Clip? (where would I get that done), and install either forge rods, or facelift rods and crank I could have a turbo setup of a potential 375bhp?that is a massive gain from 250! Not chasing figures but do want a car that people think god that's quick and puts a simple on my face. Done loads to car already so want to get max out of her really. Just to see what can be achieved with these cars

T5frankie
Saturday 7th September 2013, 10:57
Right this is making far more sense now. Was told the kkk are like chocolate lol. Ok so if I get my 19t compressor wheel or turbine? Clip? (where would I get that done), and install either forge rods, or facelift rods and crank I could have a turbo setup of a potential 375bhp?that is a massive gain from 250! Not chasing figures but do want a car that people think god that's quick and puts a simple on my face. Done loads to car already so want to get max out of her really. Just to see what can be achieved with these cars
it takes more than just a clip to get those figures may get 340 ish bhp, i had a whole new core fitted to my 19t and clipped for an extra 50 quid, total cost was £440 iirc from turbo technics

T5REU
Saturday 7th September 2013, 16:51
What bhp would I get if I swap out the engine and turbo and install the 05 t5 and kk24 which I've just got? Would u swap over the 05 bottom end and turbo on to mine or would u install the 19t and upgrade the rods if u had all the parts already which I have now lol.

p fandango
Saturday 7th September 2013, 17:34
I'd still go with a 19t. Invest in a ARD impeller & exhaust wheel which is said to be good for 400bhp if you want more power