PDA

View Full Version : wastegate flutter

M-R-P
Friday 6th September 2013, 22:41
a turbo noise I've not encountered before.. q

so I fit New vac lines and a new genuine tcv to Grahams car. we go for a test drive and the induction growl is breathtaking, the power delivery is smooth but savage on WOT everything you'd expect from a well kept T5 with. RICA 310.

here's the thing... when floored, you can hear the turbo spool and in comes the torque. as the boost builds to the point where the wastegate starts to cut, in there's a fluttering noise as if you can hear the actuator reacting to the fast pulse from the tcv. the flutter lasts less than a second and there's no loss of power and it's still smooth all the way through the rev range.
I appreciate that it now has a rather loud and free flowing intake and the New tcv will be having an effect on the power delivery when compared to the 15 year old one it replaced but can anybody shed any light on this phenomenon? ive double checked all pipes and connections and everything is as it should be

Dangerous Dave
Friday 6th September 2013, 23:05
Graham has a REMAP!?!?!?!?!

M-R-P
Friday 6th September 2013, 23:13
Graham has a REMAP!?!?!?!?!

oh yes (picky bugger is on his second lol)

smithy
Friday 6th September 2013, 23:26
It could be the recirculion valve on the turbo

Dangerous Dave
Friday 6th September 2013, 23:29
Possibly the ecu needs to adjust to the quicker reaction of the new TCV as it had adjusted to the characteristics of the old one. May just need a few more miles and it will lose the flutter sound as the ecu smooths the output.

Jamest5r
Saturday 7th September 2013, 00:20
Doesn't really matter as Graham won't hit wot again :)

V70 Graham
Saturday 7th September 2013, 09:08
Doesn't really matter as Graham won't hit wot again :)

But if I ever do :redface: I take it it's nothing to worry about ?

Kingsford G
Saturday 7th September 2013, 09:37
But if I ever do :redface: I take it it's nothing to worry about ?

If that happens tell Ann keep flooring,it`s fine.

V70 Graham
Saturday 7th September 2013, 09:39
If that happens tell Ann keep flooring,it`s fine.

Any idea what it is though mate ?

Kingsford G
Saturday 7th September 2013, 09:46
Any idea what it is though mate ?

It sounds like a RV from the description.As said above just give it a bit ob beens and let the ECU to adapt.If doesn`t work I`d check the RV.

T5frankie
Saturday 7th September 2013, 09:49
oh yes (picky bugger is on his second lol)

has he re-dyno'd it again yet?

V70 Graham
Saturday 7th September 2013, 09:51
has he re-dyno'd it again yet?

Not yet, but after yesterday, I feel it's pushing out more than the 257bhp it did last time.

T5frankie
Saturday 7th September 2013, 09:52
Not yet, but after yesterday, I feel it's pushing out more than the 257bhp it did last time.
it should be mate you can get 280 out of a 16t, who mapped it?

V70 Graham
Saturday 7th September 2013, 09:53
it should be mate you can get 280 out of a 16t, who mapped it?

Chad at GRN with a RICA 310

stribo
Saturday 7th September 2013, 10:03
You still won't get in the 14s :P

T5frankie
Saturday 7th September 2013, 10:06
Chad at GRN with a RICA 310

did he use his chip from his old ecu from his saffy? you know a 310 is an 18t map right? not that it will make any difference, but he was pushing over 300bhp with an 18t

V70 Graham
Saturday 7th September 2013, 10:10
did he use his chip from his old ecu from his saffy? you know a 310 is an 18t map right? not that it will make any difference, but he was pushing over 300bhp with an 18t

Not as far as I know mate.

T5frankie
Saturday 7th September 2013, 10:17
Not as far as I know mate.

either way you have an 18t map so best get yourself a bigger turbo lol

stribo
Saturday 7th September 2013, 10:20
either way you have an 18t map so best get yourself a bigger turbo lol
What's the point, his turbo never spools up anyway. ;)

T5frankie
Saturday 7th September 2013, 10:21

he may as well have a 2.0 10valve then lol

stribo
Saturday 7th September 2013, 10:27
or a diesel. :P

V70 Graham
Saturday 7th September 2013, 10:56

Like I say girls, one day this car will not just be a pretty face lol, mint 18t's are like rocking horse do do to find though

V70 Graham
Saturday 7th September 2013, 10:57
or a diesel. :P

I do have a diesel lol the VAG

stribo
Saturday 7th September 2013, 11:12
Proves my point then. ;)

LiamT4
Saturday 7th September 2013, 13:23
Graham, I managed a 15.1@95mph 1/4mile out of my s70r auto which had 218whp, so i would have thought that with your mods, and with it being a manual, you should manage mid to late 14s........when you get the hang of it ;-)

V70 Graham
Saturday 7th September 2013, 13:29
Graham, I managed a 15.1@95mph 1/4mile out of my s70r auto which had 218whp, so i would have thought that with your mods, and with it being a manual, you should manage mid to late 14s........when you get the hang of it ;-)

Cheers Liam, I have only done 3/4's of a mile worth of 1/4 miles lol

jamesy12345
Saturday 7th September 2013, 14:01

sounds about right, same engine as mine. I'm sure I could get my time down a bit though (everyone says that :D)

Kingsford G
Saturday 7th September 2013, 14:07
with it being a manual, you should manage mid to late 14s........when you get the hang of it ;-)

The car is capable of doing 14`s not Graham.No idea what mine can do and won`t try it either lol

V70 Graham
Saturday 7th September 2013, 15:55
Pulled the battery for a couple of hours this afternoon, maybe it will help the ECU learn again.....we will see.

LiamT4
Saturday 7th September 2013, 17:12
sounds about right, same engine as mine. I'm sure I could get my time down a bit though (everyone says that :D)

That was my best time on the map the car came with, i then got another off hlm but on the last run of the season it was rained off so i didn't get to see if it was quicker. Then at the start of the next season i fitted an mbc for a while but was only managing 15.7s, then found that the actuator was shagged. Got another actuator but was still only managing mid 15s, then found out that although the mbc was bringing in the boost a lot earlier (very, very early) it couldn't hold the boost, which would drop off quickly after 4.5k. I got rid of the mbc and fitted a brand new actuator and got it to hold a decent boost level (13-14psi), but by that time the season had ended...........then sold it before i raced again lol

Rudeyboy18
Saturday 7th September 2013, 21:11
I have pre ME7 car and I want to change my TCV. Or is it the BCS on my car??? Also where the hell can I get them ..... apart from Volvo dealer as im sure they are monster money as is IPDusa

stribo
Saturday 7th September 2013, 21:25
The're only about £40 from Volvo.

Rudeyboy18
Saturday 7th September 2013, 21:28
Ah that's not bad, I thought they were like 130 or something like that.
I will give MRG a call on monday

The're only about £40 from Volvo.

V70 Graham
Sunday 8th September 2013, 00:51
Give Rufe a call at FRF Volvo and quote C3 for the forum discount.

volvokid
Sunday 8th September 2013, 06:59
Mrg give good discount too Graham, its good to get two quotes at times.

Rudeyboy18
Sunday 8th September 2013, 16:42
Mrg give good discount too Graham, its good to get two quotes at times.

Do MRG give discount to VPCUK members though? I thought it was just t5d5. Mrg is 1.9miles from my work and 13miles from home so its ideal

partsforvolvos.com
Monday 9th September 2013, 13:48
i reackon it could be the rubber recirc valve causing that noise martin. - take it out (ha,ha a great job ) and see if it is splitting or deformed.
if so, could be time for an upgrade - forge or ipd .
the standard spring could be fluttering until the boost jamms it up shut and seals.

M-R-P
Monday 9th September 2013, 13:52
i reackon it could be the rubber recirc valve causing that noise martin. - take it out (ha,ha a great job ) and see if it is splitting or deformed.
if so, could be time for an upgrade - forge or ipd .
the standard spring could be fluttering until the boost jamms it up shut and seals.

Funnily enough Jamie, me and Graham were chatting about this earlier and the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking it's the recirc farting. (well done to the others who said to check the recirc) I replaced the recirc pipe and the new one appears to have a slightly smaller I/D than the old one so it could be struggling to hold the valve shut under boost. I doubt it's split as the flutter stops when the W/G starts controlling the boost.

Yes, doing a recirc job is a bloody pain lol.

V70 Graham
Monday 9th September 2013, 13:56
.....yes, doing a recirc job is a bloody pain lol.

But after the great job you did with the MAF to turbo pipe surely you want to finish the job properly lol.....I bet your glad I'm away on holiday next week, still it's something for you to look forward to when I get back.

M-R-P
Monday 9th September 2013, 14:21
But after the great job you did with the MAF to turbo pipe surely you want to finish the job properly lol.....I bet your glad I'm away on holiday next week, still it's something for you to look forward to when I get back.

All that shiny stuff will be coming off when I fit the recirc mate lol. Bring polishing cloths hahahah