PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing whirring?

Leeds_finest
Thursday 5th September 2013, 08:09
Occasionally get a whirring noise from the front passenger corner but it seems to have gotten worse over the past few weeks.

If i'm driving in a straight line, turning to the right (which is throwing weight/momentum onto the left) seems to make it worse. Likewise, turning to the left throwing the weight onto the right/drivers side makes the noise disappear.

My S60 used to o this and it was just the brake shield touching the disc although it made more of a squeak than a whirring noise.

I'll test for play this weekend, but has anyone else experienced this? Are the wheel bearings or hub sections easy to obtain? Cheap?

Thanks

silverhorse
Thursday 5th September 2013, 08:41
That will be a bearing I reckon mate. If it is a rumbling noise that comes and goes when loaded/unloaded, then that sounds like bearing.

Cheap?

What do you think!!!!

y2blade
Thursday 5th September 2013, 08:55
Yep bearing.
iirc mine on the S60 were around £50 per side for the whole hub.....pretty easy to fit too...just bolt on bolt off

Leeds_finest
Thursday 5th September 2013, 09:36
Lol nothing's ever cheap on these cars :)

Ok so you bought a whole hub assembly for £50? Was this second hand?

Thanks

silverhorse
Thursday 5th September 2013, 09:41

Thanks
Ed, i admire your optimism, but I reckon that was definitely second hand!!!

y2blade
Thursday 5th September 2013, 09:58
Lol nothing's ever cheap on these cars :)

Thanks

Nope it was brand new...mail ordered.

Ed, i admire your optimism, but I reckon that was definitely second hand!!!

It wasn't a lot of money.....I'm sure it was around £50 per side.

y2blade
Thursday 5th September 2013, 09:59
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Wheel-Bearing-Hub-Volvo-S60-S80-V70-XC70-/190854518891?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AVolvo%7CModel%3AS60&hash=item2c6fd0d86b

For example

stribo
Thursday 5th September 2013, 10:08
I had a front wheel bearing go on the C70, it got noisier going around roundabouts, so I assumed it was the nearside one ( neither front wheel had any play), but it was the offside. Don't be fooled by this bolt off bolt on malarky either, if P2s are the same as P1s, then they're held on with star headed bolts which are made of chocolate. Two of mine rounded off, and in the end the car went into the garage to be done

Leeds_finest
Thursday 5th September 2013, 10:08
Ahhh I see, I thought it would be more as I think of a hub as the entire assembly but that is literally just the bearing section in the middle - perfect!

Is there any messing about with ABS?

Thanks

Leeds_finest
Thursday 5th September 2013, 10:11
I had a front wheel bearing go on the C70, it got noisier going around roundabouts, so I assumed it was the nearside one ( neither front wheel had any play), but it was the offside. Don't be fooled by this bolt off bolt on malarky either, if P2s are the same as P1s, then they're held on with star headed bolts which are made of chocolate. Two of mine rounded off, and in the end the car went into the garage to be done

This doesn't sound like a fantastic experience.

Ill investigate and if it is a wheel bearing ill try and replace myself and if not it'll go to the garage.

silverhorse
Thursday 5th September 2013, 15:12
Nope it was brand new...mail ordered.

Blimey, BARGAIN!!!

Al115
Friday 6th September 2013, 08:22
My only thought here - I fitted a pattern wheel bearing once and it lasted 10k. I'd only fit gen Volvo again - just to avoid the expense of doing the job twice! Pattern parts work for some stuff but my experience was not good in this case.

Good luck.

y2blade
Friday 6th September 2013, 09:05
My only thought here - I fitted a pattern wheel bearing once and it lasted 10k. I'd only fit gen Volvo again - just to avoid the expense of doing the job twice! Pattern parts work for some stuff but my experience was not good in this case.

Good luck.

The ones we put on the S60 have done about 20k since and are still silent.

Food for thought: The pattern bearings we fitted had the same markings as OEM........................