PDA

View Full Version : Air con smells of P15S

silverhorse
Wednesday 4th September 2013, 08:23
Hi,

as title. Had it on for an hour. Turned car off when got to work. Got back in 7 hours later when it was cool outside and could smell it coming through vents (A/C off)
I know this can be common so not too worried. Obviously don't want to have car smelling of wee!

I am sure there is an A/C expert on the forum somewhere, but I can't remember who, so if you have got your ears on, what do I do??

Thought I would get a bomb and recirc it. Where is recirc intake on 2005 V70?

Cheers guys

stephenevans99
Wednesday 4th September 2013, 08:28
Remove the pollen filter from behind glovebox before deploying the 'whiff' bomb. May as well refit a new one whilst you're in there.

You could perhaps remove the plastic scuttle panel under the wiper arms and give all the channels below a good disinfecting.

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 4th September 2013, 08:28
By reading a few threads most of us just look for a service centre to have it looked at professionally. Cheapest I've seen it was £29.

M-R-P
Wednesday 4th September 2013, 08:31
Mr Evans is the man you're after.

The intake is in the passenger footwell mate. First, check the pollen filter and change if needed, they can get damp if the AC is on for a while and stink when the ac is off.

It's also worth running the fans for a few minutes with the AC off to help clear the condensation after it's been on for a while.

The bomb things do work too - I used one a while ago and in the instructions, they pictured it being used in a S60 :D

M-R-P
Wednesday 4th September 2013, 08:31
Too late :(

V70 Graham
Wednesday 4th September 2013, 08:39
Stephen Evans is the resident air con expert.....oh hold on

stephenevans99
Wednesday 4th September 2013, 08:39
If you find a garage or bodyshop who has a Wurth account, ask them to get order some Wurth A/C Disinfectant Spray:

http://www.wurth.co.uk/product/aircondisinfectantspray

Awesome stuff just to squirt down your vents once or twice a year....one tin will treat 30-40 cars. Potent stuff !!

silverhorse
Wednesday 4th September 2013, 08:40
By reading a few threads most of us just look for a service centre to have it looked at professionally. Cheapest I've seen it was £29.

That's fair enough I spose

stephenevans99
Wednesday 4th September 2013, 08:42
Stephen Evans is the resident air con expert.....oh hold on

By far from expert status....lol I just like AC :) and earn a few quid in the Summer. But I'm flattered nonetheless. pmsl

silverhorse
Wednesday 4th September 2013, 08:46
By far from expert status....lol I just like AC :) and earn a few quid in the Summer. But I'm flattered nonetheless. pmsl

I thought it was you, but did not want to put your name up in case I was wrong!!
That Wurth stuff does not list the price. I assume it is not £1.99 a tin?;)

Cheers for help guys. I will get on the case.

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 4th September 2013, 08:56
hello paul, if it is as bad as you say, it might need some disinfectant spraying directly on the the evaporator core as this is where the bacteria that cause the smell actually live. if u use the bomb and it does not fully sure it, this will be necessary. i have seen them sometimes where loads of green **** comes off if it is really bad so you want some paper floor mats on the carpet to protect it !

also, it might be your a/c drain is blocked and the water is pooling inside the heater box- do you see any water dropping under the bulkhead area onto the floor, having used the a/c for a journey?

jamie

silverhorse
Wednesday 4th September 2013, 16:33
Hi Jamie,
to be honest I did not check underneath for evap dripping. I think I may just do as JUDGENINJA says and get a service for £30 if I can. It's the first time it has happened, but also I have not used the A/C for ages as it makes the wife sneeze!!!???!!! Dumbarse

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 4th September 2013, 17:08
if she is sneezing, that could be just dust in the section of the pipework near the a/c that hasnt been moved by airflow.

there's always the bus..... but i'll let u suggest that one.

merc85
Wednesday 4th September 2013, 17:11
I sell what they call in the trade a Aircon bomb. you put the a/c on recirc shut the doors and windows and let the ac bomb off inside it will spray a disinfectant out for about 10 mins and it will get drawn through ac system and kill all the bacteria works really well.

silverhorse
Wednesday 4th September 2013, 18:02
if she is sneezing, that could be just dust in the section of the pipework near the a/c that hasnt been moved by airflow.

there's always the bus..... but i'll let u suggest that one.

LOL. No, she is just a dumbarse. We can walk into tesco with their aircon on and she sneezes. I did suggest a bus instead of buying her C70 T5. Much cheaper. Didn't go down too well!!

silverhorse
Wednesday 4th September 2013, 18:03
I sell what they call in the trade a Aircon bomb. you put the a/c on recirc shut the doors and windows and let the ac bomb off inside it will spray a disinfectant out for about 10 mins and it will get drawn through ac system and kill all the bacteria works really well.

Seen them on internet. Might be worth a try. they are quite cheap and if they work, happy days.

Harvey
Wednesday 4th September 2013, 19:21
Or if your are feeling really rich,book in to volvo to get the after blow function switched on this runs the cabin fan for about 5 minutes ,1 hour after you lock the car up which drys the evaporator up.

silverhorse
Wednesday 4th September 2013, 21:06
Or if your are feeling really rich,book in to volvo to get the after blow function switched on this runs the cabin fan for about 5 minutes ,1 hour after you lock the car up which drys the evaporator up.

Oooh, that sounds interesting. Is that a software download? But, I'm not feeling rich though!

Harvey
Wednesday 4th September 2013, 21:19
Here's a bit more info.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?105524-This-afterblow-stuff.

Volvo_Mad
Wednesday 4th September 2013, 22:07
bacteria in the system mate, also your car should have an after blower thingy that kicks in after so long to dry out.

stephenevans99
Thursday 5th September 2013, 07:24
I always knock the ac off about a mile away from my journeys end - allowing the evaporator to dry out.

silverhorse
Thursday 5th September 2013, 08:38
I always knock the ac off about a mile away from my journeys end - allowing the evaporator to dry out.

Yeah, if I can't get the afterblow turned on, I will just do this. But the car stinks like a ring and ride bus at the moment so I will give a bomb a go and see what happens.

One thing to note though Stephen. My Air Qual Sensor is ££££ed. Does this mean I have no recirc facility cos the flap is permanently open? In which case a bomb on recirc would not work????? As you are the resident expert, I await your guidance!!!:redface:

jardon
Thursday 5th September 2013, 17:35
Yeah, if I can't get the afterblow turned on, I will just do this. But the car stinks like a ring and ride bus at the moment so I will give a bomb a go and see what happens.

One thing to note though Stephen. My Air Qual Sensor is ££££ed. Does this mean I have no recirc facility cos the flap is permanently open? In which case a bomb on recirc would not work????? As you are the resident expert, I await your guidance!!!:redface:

You can still make it recirc by pressing "manual" - I know because my AQS is faulty too so I took it off to hoover it and tried the manual button a few times to ensure the flap closed. My afterblow is turned off but I would consider getting it switched on again. My car stank when I first got it but after a few days of leaving it in the "auto" position it was fine. Recently been a bit whiffy at start up again so I replaced the multi filter which was very gungy and sprayed some febreze through the system while I had the scuttle panel lifted to access the AQS. I haven't noticed a smell since. Do the aircon bombs leave a residue all over the interior? I have looked for the recirc intake but can't actually find it....

stephenevans99
Thursday 5th September 2013, 18:05
^^^^^^^^^ What Jardon Said...lol

The Air Con bombs do leave residue on the interior - you'll have to give it a wipe over afterwards. No big deal.

I use a Texa Air+ machine which atomises the disinfecting fluid, leaving absolutely no trace or residue whatsoever.

partsforvolvos.com
Friday 6th September 2013, 10:29
texa- is that the one you pour liquid in, and it heats it up to a vapour? - we used to have one of those .

y2blade
Friday 6th September 2013, 10:35
bacteria in the system mate, also your car should have an after blower thingy that kicks in after so long to dry out.

This was my thought, is the after blower thingy kicking in as it should?

silverhorse
Friday 6th September 2013, 10:39
is the after blower thingy kicking in as it should?
No, don't think so. I am going to see if I can turn it on myself, but I suspect that it may be a trip to the dealer for this.

partsforvolvos.com
Friday 6th September 2013, 10:54
i am pretty sure the default for the afterblow was to be on, rather than off because people used to ring up ad say they went out the their car to get something but the interior fan was on and thought it was a fault.

y2blade
Friday 6th September 2013, 10:57
i am pretty sure the default for the afterblow was to be on, rather than off because people used to ring up ad say they went out the their car to get something but the interior fan was on and thought it was a fault.

lol I thought my car was possessed when it first did it!
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=38909

Biff
Friday 6th September 2013, 11:49

Would my ph1 do this? I don't seem to be able to put my blowers on without the aircon turning on. It doesn't work but its baffled me. I can't switch it off & sometimes I have a fan noise in the car. This is one of the reasons I want to rip it out. Lol

stribo
Friday 6th September 2013, 12:44
Would my ph1 do this? I don't seem to be able to put my blowers on without the aircon turning on. It doesn't work but its baffled me. I can't switch it off & sometimes I have a fan noise in the car. This is one of the reasons I want to rip it out. Lol

If you have the airflow set to windscreen, the a/c comes on automatically.

partsforvolvos.com
Friday 6th September 2013, 12:49
and you cant select recirc when it is selected to the windscreen.

partsforvolvos.com
Friday 6th September 2013, 12:49
no - as far as i know ph1 didnt have afterblow.

stephenevans99
Friday 6th September 2013, 16:09
texa- is that the one you pour liquid in, and it heats it up to a vapour? - we used to have one of those .

That's the one....the disinfecting fluid works out about £7 a shot - expensive but works a treat.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/stephenevans99/CoolAirCon/AirPlus.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/stephenevans99/media/CoolAirCon/AirPlus.jpg.html)