PDA

View Full Version : Tuning advice please. 97 2.3 lpt

Couper
Tuesday 3rd September 2013, 21:19
Hi everyone

I have fitted a gizzmo boost controller but it does not seem able to hold boost. The highest sustained boost I can sustain is 11.4 psi but is mostly about 6 - 9 psi.

Basically I have 2 questions:

1. Why cant I hold boost and how can I fix it?

2. My goals are 200 and 280bhp

Can you tell me the best and least expensive!! way to achieve these figures?

Really need some solid pointers to start my project off correctly.

Thank you

Tomcat
Tuesday 3rd September 2013, 22:31
Your main problem I would have thought would be in the name of the car 2.3 LPT.. That car was around 190hp from the factory even with a boost controller that turbo isn't going to give you enough puff to reach 280. It may just be a case of fitting a bigger turbo, injectors and a reamap but I'll leave our more 'experienced' members to give you the finer details.

Couper
Tuesday 3rd September 2013, 22:49
Happy to change turbos.

Hoping for low boost 200 high boost 260-280

Thanks

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 3rd September 2013, 23:18
Its a 940, so will have 136bhp (unless it has the turbo+ controller fitted, which is a little control box attached to the airbox and a valve next to it, this increases boost at WOT for a set period).

The LPT engine is the same as the HPT engine in the later 900 series, the only difference being the wastegate control was lower making it an LPT. Think the safe limit for increased boost is 12psi, any more and the fuelling and timing will not be enough. You'll need some mods to go further

Smithy is the font of 900 series knowledge on here :)

As regards dropping boost, check your wastegate is adjusted properly, check all the intake and vacuum hoses for leaks, and do a stage 0 tune so everything is running sweet.

Stage 0 link
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?217-Stage-0-Tune-Up

Tomcat
Wednesday 4th September 2013, 07:44
Yah kinda missed the fact it was a 940.