PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Volvo 850 Repairing Broken Dashboard Mounting Tabs (Video Tutorial)

ProStreetDriver
Saturday 24th August 2013, 04:33
Video tutorial on how to repair the broken mounting tabs under the dash of a Volvo 850. This does appear to be a fairly common problem within the Volvo community so I've decided to provide on informative video on how I repair mine. When I created this video, the tabs had already been epoxied for a month with no issues whatsoever.

Procedure:
-ensure that the area in need of repair is clean of any dirt or grease
-make sure you do wear latex gloves and have a wet cloth handy to reduce a mess with the glue or epoxy
-using the Super Glue, generously apply it to the damaged area and hold it in place until the glue sets up and holds it's shape
-allowing for the Super Flue to fully dry, you can now move onto the epoxy
-you can tape off the surround area if you choose to ensure the epoxy doesn't spread where it shouldn't
-I used Permatex General Purpose 5min Setup epoxy for this application, which is compatible with plastic
-squeeze out the required amount of epoxy need
-this is a 2 part epoxy, mix thoroughly to ensure the compounds will react with each other well
-wearing a latex glove, apply some of the epoxy to your finger and apply to the damaged area
-I applied 3 coats of the epoxy to ensure for a strong and durable repair
-wait anywhere from 15 minutes to 30 minutes for the epoxy to setup and harden
-allow 24hrs to 48hrs for the epoxy to full harden and reinstall the dash panel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGcdjy0bKgc