PDA

View Full Version : Speedo dead and driving me nuts

mattyattitude
Wednesday 21st August 2013, 00:05
Before anyone says use search i have and im not following so thought best to just ask.

I got my 1996/7 Volvo V70 yesterday and straight away problem number 1, speedo doesnt work at all.

my odometer works fine and the information at the bottom seems to be getting some sort of signal as its saying im doing 23.7 mpg but the speedo needle isnt moving at all, even tried tapping it as the garage surgested it and still nothing.

my traction control turns on and off no problem and ive never had it flash up on me.

checked the fuses in both boxs.

still nothing.

any idea where to go from here? the last mot said it needed both front cv boots so is it possible they could have left the abs ring off and then just removed the break fault bulb? the abs light goes on during stage 2 but the break warning light doesnt light up.

M-R-P
Wednesday 21st August 2013, 07:05
Hi everybody, I'm...... I have a ...... (did they make a V70 in 1996?) I've got a few issues that I'm hoping you can help me with...

We're not Wikipedia mate, we're big, cuddly (mainly) friendly people who like to help ;) but require a little introduction :smlove2:

mattyattitude
Wednesday 21st August 2013, 07:56
Yea sorry was going to do that tonight after I took some pictures.

But in the mean time..... Hello my name is Matty and I'm addicted to nice cars. I've just got myself a Volvo v70 2.5t with the Winter package on a P reg. It's been well looked after and only had 1 previous owner.

M-R-P
Wednesday 21st August 2013, 08:00
That's better :) We like pictures too (Shhh... some of them can't read :shhh: so when you can lol)

As for your speedo thing, I'm not sure if the speed pulse comes off the gearbox on your model, somebody with more know-how on the older car will be along shortly...

Welcome aboard :beer:

stephenevans99
Wednesday 21st August 2013, 08:15
Hi & Welcome to VPC :)

Speedo Cable popped off ? that's as far as my expertise will stretch lol

p fandango
Wednesday 21st August 2013, 08:39
The speedo will be fed from the abs, I've seen a few 850's with dead speedo's due an internal gear failure

mattyattitude
Wednesday 21st August 2013, 09:04
If it was the gear would the average mph still work? Mine just reads zero

V70 Graham
Wednesday 21st August 2013, 10:02
Welcome to the club.

I have the greatest mechanical knowledge on the forum, and I'm also the fastest driver on the forum......oh, and the biggest fibber !

Sorry cant help with your problem.

stribo
Wednesday 21st August 2013, 10:10

I think Pedro means the internal gear in the instrument cluster, so the computer gets all the info, but the speedo can't display the speed. Welcome to the forum BTW.

p fandango
Wednesday 21st August 2013, 10:12
i'm guessing it would still work as the trip computer is all digital so would still be getting the correct information from the ABS/ECU so still be able to show your correct average

mattyattitude
Wednesday 21st August 2013, 13:40
I'll try the sensor then. What's the best place to get them as cheapest I've found so far is eBay

Biff
Wednesday 21st August 2013, 13:48
When I first got mine the speedo didn't work, as didn't the petrol gauge. Turned out to be my clocks which sounds a big job but really it isn't to change them. They weren't the cars original clocks that failed & I've seen plenty of v70r's with standard clocks so it seems its a problem on the ph1 v70's.
for the cost of a replacement set off fleabay I'd do that first. Wish I had.

M-R-P
Wednesday 21st August 2013, 13:54
When I first got mine the speedo didn't work, as didn't the petrol gauge. Turned out to be my clocks which sounds a big job but really it isn't to change them. They weren't the cars original clocks that failed & I've seen plenty of v70r's with standard clocks so it seems its a problem on the ph1 v70's.
for the cost of a replacement set off fleabay I'd do that first. Wish I had.

It's not just the P1 clocks that fail lol. £732.50 :( 2 years now and I'm still pissy about it grrrrrr...

Dan H
Wednesday 21st August 2013, 14:33
I told you it will just be a sensor lol..

Martin, As for the pictures, I'll Take some of His volvo and mine when he cleans his properly.

Just need to to get yourself a decent headunit and change the interior colour and it'll be 100x better ;) x

mattyattitude
Wednesday 21st August 2013, 21:33
Well fitted a boost gauge.....dash out cluster out..... Moved a cruise control bulb to the break fault bulb space while it was all out ...... Speedo now works fully lol

partsforvolvos.com
Thursday 22nd August 2013, 13:45
It's not just the P1 clocks that fail lol. £732.50 :( 2 years now and I'm still pissy about it grrrrrr...

leave it ........

M-R-P
Thursday 22nd August 2013, 14:01
Well fitted a boost gauge.....dash out cluster out..... Moved a cruise control bulb to the break fault bulb space while it was all out ...... Speedo now works fully lol
Result!

leave it ........

No, I can't do it... bloody... grrrr....

sod it! if only I had a video I could post to express my annoyance......?

M-R-P
Thursday 22nd August 2013, 15:14
Aaaah... here's one ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_7ZrfqB3zs