PDA

View Full Version : E brake repair complete thanks to support from this forum

Thunderbox
Sunday 18th August 2013, 18:37
I found that my new to me 2006 V70R had a catastrophic parking brake shoe failure on the passenger side (right for us folks in the colonies). This is a pic of what I was working with.

It had eaten up the shoe hold back block attached to the knuckle, the back plate was shredded of mounting points for the shoe springs and the actuating hardware attached to the cable was gone. Estimates put the repair at a dealer of around 1200 US.

My research pointed to a company in Sweden that sold a repair kit but would not ship to the US. I introduced myself on this forum and asked for help in getting the small part forward shipped to me. I immediately had several offers for help. V70 Graham ordered the part for me (without upfront funds) and let me know he would ship it out to me. Paypal funds were sent and the part arrived quickly.

On to the repair. I sourced a used back plate from a part out on a R here in the states. Found a used adjusting hardware bit at a junk yard off of S80 and ordered new shoes and hardware.

I had to file down the remaining block before mounting the repair kit.

Here is the repair kit.

Had to remove the broken bolt in the top hole

And now the finished project.

Adjusted the e brake in the cabin and good to go. Thanks for the help and warm welcomes. I will come back to share my Volvo adventures from across the pond.
ps super props to Graham for the help. Just proves car guys can always be counted on to help.

V70 Graham
Sunday 18th August 2013, 20:38
You were very welcome Kevin, and I will be happy to accept your offer of a 3 week all expenses paid trip to Ohio to visit you as a 'thank you' :redface:

But seriously, I'm glad to have been able to help, hopefully your write up is helpful to someone else in the future, glad it all worked out for you.

LiamT4
Sunday 18th August 2013, 20:48
Good guy that graham........i never did believe those stories about him ;-)

Glad to see that its fixed.

stephenevans99
Sunday 18th August 2013, 21:29
Good to see you got it sorted Kevin & well done Graham for doing his bit for International Relations !!

Job well done :B_thumb: