PDA

View Full Version : S60 Traction Control

S60D5
Monday 24th October 2005, 16:44
How good is the traction control on the 2001/2002 S60 for snow & ice?

The TRACS on the 850 is rubbish - is it the same system or somewhat more advanced?

Jod T5
Monday 24th October 2005, 16:52
i have no idea on the s60 but i do agree the 850 is :pants:

jim.covers
Monday 24th October 2005, 17:01
No idea on snow n ice but it kicks in quite quick in the wet, when off my rica'd S60 will spin all the way in 1st n 2nd in the wet.

Oh aye then theres the W button.... not had chance to try that yet either!

TangoDeltaSierra3
Monday 24th October 2005, 17:24
Course its more advanced in wet, but still ££££e!

S60D5
Monday 24th October 2005, 17:28
This is the score - I do a lot of miles in Switzerland/Austria in the winter, and would really like AWD, but I want an S60 D5.. and they haven't done an S60 D5 AWD!

Running costs and purchase price of the S60R would be hectic, so I'd have to make do with traction control, ABS and snow chains on a FWD car!

dave
Monday 24th October 2005, 19:07
This is the score - I do a lot of miles in Switzerland/Austria in the winter, and would really like AWD, but I want an S60 D5.. and they haven't done an S60 D5 AWD!

Running costs and purchase price of the S60R would be hectic, so I'd have to make do with traction control, ABS and snow chains on a FWD car!

i think the s60r will still be crap in the snow even with awd, the tyres are far to wide, the wife used to have a polo with wee thin tyres, it used to go anywhere in the snow season!

im looking forward to trying the bad boy out the snow tho, lol.

dave

MRT5c
Monday 24th October 2005, 19:47
How good is the traction control on the 2001/2002 S60 for snow & ice?

The TRACS on the 850 is rubbish - is it the same system or somewhat more advanced?

my v70 T5 is rubbish in the snow, it couldn`t get out of a parking space last winter, with a slight incline. so we left it there and walked.

S60D5
Monday 24th October 2005, 23:58
i think the s60r will still be crap in the snow even with awd, the tyres are far to wide, the wife used to have a polo with wee thin tyres, it used to go anywhere in the snow season!

At the end of our drive in France, we have a very steep section about 20' long, going straight out onto the main road, in the snow (and subsequent mud/slush) its really tricky to successfully get the T5 out in one go, but in my previous '03 Renault Clio 1.4, it was really easy, no probs. The Clio had 185's. Must be to do with weight too?

TBH, it's not the purchase price of the S60R that puts me off (seen a nice one for £20k on VolvoUsedCars) but its the running costs - specifically insurance!! I know I'm 21, but it's about double the standard S60 T5 quote and nearly quadruple what I pay on my 850 T5 at the moment.

I think it's gonna be D5... I'm going to turn into a tractor driver :slap:

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 25th October 2005, 00:05
I thought there were 2 systems - STC and DSTC - and I assume the latter has the ability to learn or somefink? This is aside the 4C and Haldex on the phase 2 Rs

dave
Tuesday 25th October 2005, 08:35
I thought there were 2 systems - STC and DSTC - and I assume the latter has the ability to learn or somefink? This is aside the 4C and Haldex on the phase 2 Rs

the stc, is like the tracs(only driving wheels), and dstc, is the thing that stops you coming off on a corner, does all 4 wheels, not heard that it learns??dont know

dave

S60D5
Tuesday 25th October 2005, 11:43
the stc, is like the tracs(only driving wheels), and dstc, is the thing that stops you coming off on a corner, does all 4 wheels, not heard that it learns??dont know

dave

Is STC and DSTC usually fitted to a 01/02 model D5?

BrightonBreezy
Tuesday 25th October 2005, 11:52
DSTC is a significantly more advanced system than the old TRACS. Works at all speeds.
It's primary function is to stop you falling off corners though, rather than provide grip when starting up the hill.
It does learn to a certain extent in that it calibrates itself to the individual car. If you change any sensors, for example, you have to take it for a 20 mile drive after resetting the system so that it can re-calibrate itself again. Among the sensors are things like lateral-G so the system can tell how fast you're going round a corner.

DSTC was an option on the early phase 2 cars. The standard was a less advanced version known just as STC.
Its nice that the ex-plod cars all come with the full DSTC.

See http://www.volvocars.co.uk/Showroom/V70/Experience/Safety.htm

S60D5
Tuesday 25th October 2005, 12:09
Hey someone else from Brighton! I'm just about to drive into Brighton for a lecture or two.

Thanks for explaining the DSTC, I'll have a nosey round that website when I get a chance!

dave
Tuesday 25th October 2005, 18:52
Is STC and DSTC usually fitted to a 01/02 model D5?

the dstc started appearing as standard on the 02 models, you know if you have it, cos there will be a button below radio, saying dstc on it

dave

hamish
Tuesday 25th October 2005, 19:59
Hi,

If your 21 years old and you can afford to even consider Skiing holidays in the Alps and S60R's. I would have have thought you need a reality check before you ask the rest of the world how good your car is going to be at geting up the drive to your parents lodge !
If it helps I took my P2 T5 to Chaminox in Jan (Rica'ed etc) and had no problems at all, even getting out of the hotel carpark 45 degree sheet ice slope, and the STC only cut in at the very top ! (secret weapon: Vredestein's Wintrac W(!!) rated tyre.) What I would say is that a round trip to Chaminox is 2000 miles, 2 of which are covered in snow. So next year, as with this year I will not be taking the Land Rover despite it's undisputed ability in adverse conditions.

Regards,
Hamish.
P.S. With all P2 Volvo's you can only fit snow chains to cars with 16" wheels. !

S60D5
Wednesday 26th October 2005, 00:23
Hi,

If your 21 years old and you can afford to even consider Skiing holidays in the Alps and S60R's. I would have have thought you need a reality check before you ask the rest of the world how good your car is going to be at geting up the drive to your parents lodge !

Uh??! Umm.. What??

If it helps I took my P2 T5 to Chaminox in Jan (Rica'ed etc) and had no problems at all, even getting out of the hotel carpark 45 degree sheet ice slope, and the STC only cut in at the very top ! (secret weapon: Vredestein's Wintrac W(!!) rated tyre.)

Yeah, I never use Winter tyres althogh I really really should. Would probably be more of an invenstment than an AWD vehicle - a lot of the cars in Switzerland are 2WD but have no problems on the Winter tyres. Good call, I'll look into a cost of a set + steelies for the S60 if I go down that route.

What I would say is that a round trip to Chaminox is 2000 miles, 2 of which are covered in snow. So next year, as with this year I will not be taking the Land Rover despite it's undisputed ability in adverse conditions.

It's a toss up between easy riding for a few miles (circa 20?) near the resort including two Swiss passes or a comfortable ride for the rest of the journey! Yeah, I'd go with the FWD car too! Haven't really got much option anyway.

P.S. With all P2 Volvo's you can only fit snow chains to cars with 16" wheels. !

Didn't know this, guess the winter tyres + steelies would be 15/16" which could take the chains no probs if they are needed.

dave
Wednesday 26th October 2005, 19:22

Uh??! Umm.. What??

dont worry mate, peeps on here dont like anyone with a wee bit of money!lol

dave