PDA

View Full Version : CV Boot, how difficult is it to replace?

Nick0
Saturday 17th August 2013, 12:01
Hello all,

I have a leaky front driver's side outer CV boot, how difficult is it to replace?

Thanks in advance,
Nick0

graemewelch
Saturday 17th August 2013, 12:30
its a easy job to do but its very messy and your going to need a proper tool to sercure the cv boot. cable ties are usless. its a very messy job. theyll be grease everywear. if need be ill write you a miny how to

T5RatherAmusin
Saturday 17th August 2013, 14:05
tis quite easy matey, id undo the lower ball joint for easier movabilty of the hub.knock the joint out the hub.cut clips off and boot.
wap new boot over a cone(you can get these with a new boot) inside out stretch it all the way over it so you can get it oveth the cv...grease up...new clips over endsclose them up as tight as can by had then use snips to close the bevel bit of the clip tighter....fit it all back up...

graemewelch
Saturday 17th August 2013, 14:13
im not a big fan of the universal boots. if it was me doing it to my car id remove the cv joint fron shaft. degrease the shaft and clean the splines. completly degrease the cv joint and regrease with cv grease. once a cv boot is split youve exposed the cv to all sorts of road grit which will wreck your driveshaft.

T5RatherAmusin
Saturday 17th August 2013, 14:16
nothing wrong with the uni boots bud. but yes, regrease the cv

graemewelch
Saturday 17th August 2013, 14:19
nothing wrong with the uni boots bud. but yes, regrease the cv

anything universal is made to fit all. wouldnt have one on my car. id get the one thats suposed to be fitted to my car. do it right do it once

T5RatherAmusin
Saturday 17th August 2013, 14:23
but theres no doing it wrong lol
cv joint come in very common sizes...

merc85
Saturday 17th August 2013, 16:50
anything universal is made to fit all. wouldnt have one on my car. id get the one thats suposed to be fitted to my car. do it right do it once

The HUB nut can be a right TW@@ to undo, im with graeme on this one to, Ive tried a universal boot on my t5s and they last wks. Better off getting either a Genuine Boot from Volvo, or a Good quality Direct fit aftermarkt boot like i did. The last one i bought is over a Year ago and made by GKN which tbf is probably the same make as the Volvo boots. Shaftec to last ok.

ShadeTek
Sunday 18th August 2013, 11:38
I've been using stretchy boots for 10 years and I've had no problems. I've still got some on and running since then. DON'T buy a universal one, get the exact boot for your car. Bailcast will supply you the correct size. Don't tie-wrap them on as they are not tight enough and will let water in and the grease out. Use the Oetiker clamp provided or obtain them on-line, it's worth having few spare. The boots are softer than standard gaitors and can damage a bit easier, but can save a lot of assault and battery your shafts.

P.S. Avoid the boots that glue together in two halves. I have heard they last a week or two.

stribo
Sunday 18th August 2013, 12:41
The HUB nut can be a right TW@@ to undo, im with graeme on this one to, Ive tried a universal boot on my t5s and they last wks. Better off getting either a Genuine Boot from Volvo, or a Good quality Direct fit aftermarkt boot like i did. The last one i bought is over a Year ago and made by GKN which tbf is probably the same make as the Volvo boots. Shaftec to last ok.

Later cars just have a bolt in the end of the driveshaft, a lot easier to undo than that bloody hub nut.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 18th August 2013, 21:40

P2 doesn't use a hub nut (only the 850s & pre-1998 70 series) - they use 1 usage stretch bolts which you should not re-use.

graemewelch
Sunday 18th August 2013, 21:45
i changed my bolts for 12.9 bolts. no more problems. id recomend every one else dose the same.