PDA

View Full Version : Long time user first time poster

fox88
Friday 16th August 2013, 23:15
Just wanted to say a quick hello, as in the title I'm a long time user but first time poster.

To bring you up to date with my Volvo history and current situation.

When I was 18 I decided to leave my 1.2 fiesta along with its boy racer image, and opted for something that none of my mates could get anywhere near, so i bought something that not many 18yr olds would have thought of, as i like to have something a bit different any way so went for a '98 S40 T4. Although I had left the boy racer image with the fiesta it was always in my blood to start tweaking the S40, so months after owning it she had a custom built 3" catless downpipe and 2.5" cat back system and other than that just a bleed valve, forge twin piston DV and a BCM panel filter. She was great fun and always had people confused!

But I had a moment with a roundabout in icy conditions and had a running with rather large metal box on the roadside that happened to control all the street lights for 8miles of dual carriage way. Anway to cut the story short I stripped all the useable bits (most of which I still have...but ill get to that later if anyone needs anything particular) and scrapped what was left of a twisted chassis and re-arranged front end!

Not being put of Volvo's at all I went straight out and got myself my trusty S60 2.0T (as i couldn't insure a T5) which is still my daily 4yrs on, and in true form.... not standard

Wanting to have a bit of fun and missing the feeling and the way the T4 delivers its power I had an absolute steal on ebay 12months ago and managed to pick up another 98 T4 for £300! Nothing wrong with it! Anyway a year on she is currently up on axle stand on my driveway with me finally finishing off what i started! its not massively modified by any means but its getting there and I cant wait to get her back on 4 wheels and on the track.

I have some questions and I'm looking for some advice too.

I have bought some shiney new (original) Volvo Discs but after looking and reading just about every forum and thread about peoples brake set-ups I am just confused. At the moment from what I've read it seems that alot use the Ferodo DS2500's but I am quite tempted by some Carbotech's too if I can stump up the courage to fork out £180 for some pads. Any other ideas?

I will follow up this post with some pics of all the motors listed.

Thanks in advance!

Adam

M-R-P
Saturday 17th August 2013, 00:36
Welcome! Nice writeup. Got some pictures?

jdavis
Saturday 17th August 2013, 00:47
Welcome.
I have heard good reviews about the DS2500's in the past.

LiamT4
Saturday 17th August 2013, 01:02
Carbotech make great pads, but if your not going to track it, then i'd save the money and go else where.

ROZER
Saturday 17th August 2013, 01:09
Welcome.
I have heard good reviews about the DS2500's in the past.

I fitted brembo max discs with DS2500, 2 weeks ago pads are not cheap got mine for £166 but there's a reason why they are expensive they are good cold and very good hot . I have used lots of different pads over the years I think there the best combination from fast road and track not many can do both .

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 17th August 2013, 06:54
^^^^ this is what I had on both my 850 and V40. This survived many track days and road abuse!!! Currently got Mintex on the V40 as this was the only thing I could get when I killed my pads during a track day at Cadwell Park.

Good to see you got the Volvo bug early. There seem to be a few 40 series owners coming out of the woodwork, which is nice!!

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 17th August 2013, 06:55
I believe Carbotech pads are worth their money too.

Biff
Saturday 17th August 2013, 08:22
Welcome along mate, you've come to the right place!
Most of us have had "offs" (without killing 8 miles of traffic lights out) but hope the new t4 hits the spot. :)

V70 Graham
Saturday 17th August 2013, 08:28
Welcome to the forum, as Martin said pic's when you can please.
I don't go fast enough to use brakes, so my Volvo discs and pads work fine, Wobbly Dave has DA2500's and rates them highly.

theflyingbrick
Saturday 17th August 2013, 11:54
welcome along :)

stribo
Saturday 17th August 2013, 11:58
Welcome to the forum.

The Flying Moose
Saturday 17th August 2013, 13:15
Having had both the Ferrodo DS2500's and Carbotech XP8's I think I can form a fair opinion of them.

Ferrodo's, slightly cheaper, very good all round performer in both cold and hot conditions, still require a little more effort though when cold than your genuine pads.

XP8's, bloody expensive, stop the car dead when hot, not so great for the first few miles and unless you use the brakes alot they dont half squeal. Certainlyt not quiet by any stretch.

Both last similar, I think I got around 15k miles. For mixed use it would be DS2500's, if its mainly track use though the XP8's have a lot less brake fade when used hard.