PDA

View Full Version : ac removal

mzafeer76
Friday 16th August 2013, 22:24
Right been thinking about removing the ac from the 850t5 as it dont work anyway.Anyone got any ideas or pics as to what needs to be taken off.

JamesT5
Friday 16th August 2013, 22:26
WHAT! How can anyone remove A/C from a car, some would give their right arm for it and I wouldn't be without it. :yikes:

t5 pete
Friday 16th August 2013, 22:31
Right been thinking about removing the ac from the 850t5 as it dont work anyway.Anyone got any ideas or pics as to what needs to be taken off.

Fairly easy look on the bulk head in the engine bay and you will see the two air con pipes, from them every thing can be removed from the engine bay all you will need to buy is a non ac serpentine belt for when you remove the pump

stephenevans99
Friday 16th August 2013, 22:38
Just be wary when you undo your first connection :saint:

Maybe wise to give the service port valve a little prod to see if there's any refrigerant in there.....just because it's not working, doesn't mean the systems not charged.

mzafeer76
Friday 16th August 2013, 22:46
cheers for that Pete.i did have a look but wasnt quiet sure what to take off..will have a pop at it over the next few days..thank once again.

mzafeer76
Friday 16th August 2013, 22:47
I'm defo going to cautious..have read about the gases that are in there and the pressure.

stephenevans99
Friday 16th August 2013, 22:47
Remember - frost bite is a bitch. Be Careful

mzafeer76
Friday 16th August 2013, 22:51
Niceone for the pre warning...am gona defo suit n glove myself up before i do anything..got my hazmat suit lol.

Cam
Friday 16th August 2013, 22:52
just to let you know if you are caught releasing ac gas into the atmosphere delibratley its a £40,000 fine and poss 5 years in clink, you also run the risk of freezing parts of your body which can then fall off and its stored in the system at around 4-5 bar

stephenevans99
Friday 16th August 2013, 22:56
Niceone for the pre warning...am gona defo suit n glove myself up before i do anything..got my hazmat suit lol.

lol....don't wear normal rubber/pvc garden variety gloves - these WILL shrink wrap to your hand when they come into contact with refrigerant.

just to let you know if you are caught releasing ac gas into the atmosphere delibratley its a £40,000 fine and poss 5 years in clink, you also run the risk of freezing parts of your body which can then fall off and its stored in the system at around 4-5 bar

It's true....you could get prosecuted for knowingly releasing the gas into the atmosphere - but I won't tell ;)

mzafeer76
Friday 16th August 2013, 23:24
What the hell..now having second thoughts on doing it..wow them fines and jail time dnt sound too good.lol how they gona prove tht gases were released?

stephenevans99
Friday 16th August 2013, 23:27
Polar Ice Cap will melt....it'd be your fault too ;)

mzafeer76
Friday 16th August 2013, 23:42
Oh crap thats gona cause major flooding..best not then lol.so do i take the whole front off??and that radiator that sits behind the bumperis that a/c rad?

p fandango
Saturday 17th August 2013, 06:51
Oh crap thats gona cause major flooding..best not then lol.so do i take the whole front off??and that radiator that sits behind the bumperis that a/c rad?
if the system is empty then yes you might as well remove the evaporate in front of the rad, & also get the shorter aux belt & remove the compressor

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 17th August 2013, 07:04
...yeah but we'll have nice warm summers!!!
If you wanted to stay legal I'm sure a A/C service centre would degas it for a couple of quid??

Biff
Saturday 17th August 2013, 08:15
I'll be removing mine, I never use it as it has a split pipe under the car. It's very empty given the amount of condensate that comes out of the pipe.
As for the fine, I worked in a incineration plant back when the recession hit me, the environmental health were shockingly out of touch so I won't lose any sleep over some aircon gas. Lol

mzafeer76
Saturday 17th August 2013, 10:02
o.k now i kind off know what to remove..the compressor n the reciever dryer but does tht big radiator need to come out too?

stephenevans99
Saturday 17th August 2013, 10:26
You can leave the condensor in situ if you want......but if you're removing everything else, you may as well remove this as well. Removing the ac condensor WILL improve airflow to the intercooler and radiator too. Better airflow to the intercooler must be a good thing :B_thumb:

mzafeer76
Saturday 17th August 2013, 11:08
yeh i'm going to get rd off it since everythings coming out..wont have use for it anyway plus like you say more airflow to the intercooler is a good thing..thanks for the info mate.

theflyingbrick
Saturday 17th August 2013, 12:02
in case your in any doubt....100% remove the air con mate,ive done it on EVERY car I had with ac never saw much difference with non turbo motors but on my 850 it just felt like the boost held a little better in the heat!! but like its been said just be carefull ;)

Redbrick
Saturday 17th August 2013, 12:36
We re-fitted aircon back into my 850 after it was butchered out with bolt cutters. :cool:

EddyP
Sunday 18th August 2013, 09:46
If you're binning it all can I acquire the two hoses from the compressor please? Don't need the actual hose, it can be cut off just after the metal sections on the compressor :)

Thanks

mzafeer76
Sunday 18th August 2013, 16:15
Okie dokes will save them for you.hoping to have a crack at it tmrw..by the sounds of it shouldnt be too hard.will message you as soon as its done.

mzafeer76
Monday 19th August 2013, 18:34
Rite the ac is all ripped out just need to part the ac rad frm the radiator n intercooler..damn two bolts to the compressor are a nightmare to get off..scrapped my knuckles but well chuffed its out n joke is it was dry as a bone..no gases lol