PDA

View Full Version : Sticky switches

Quicksilver
Thursday 15th August 2013, 22:00
Hope I'm posting in the right place, does anybody have a fix for sticky switches ie to the touch not operation.
My drivers window pack works fine but the drivers switch and central locking switch coating is all sticky, can it be cleaned?

volvokid
Thursday 15th August 2013, 22:06
I dont think it can, my v40 heater controls did this, i think if you clean them you will strip them down to a shiny plastic.

Biff
Thursday 15th August 2013, 22:16
Mine have gone the same, as time go's on I don't want to replace them as they all work. My dad reckons its the heat... Makes sense!

volvokid
Thursday 15th August 2013, 22:20
It probably is the heat actually. The P1 leather wheels do the same over time too.

Biff
Thursday 15th August 2013, 22:31
It probably is the heat actually. The P1 leather wheels do the same over time too.

I think mines been chewed on by a dog going off the state of it. Dad said oil gets engrained in the texture & then the heat melts it. I liked that suggestion so I stick with it. Lol

volvokid
Thursday 15th August 2013, 22:42
I bought a new one, when the car went for its mot last year I wraped the wheel in cling film lol manky mechanics weren't touching it

JamesT5
Thursday 15th August 2013, 22:54
Just use some upholstery cleaner on a cloth, should do the trick!

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 15th August 2013, 23:42
Mine are the same, horrible sticky residue. I took apart the drivers switch pack and the mirror adjuster to clean them up. The mirror adjuster looks good now, but getting the stick stuff off the window switches doesn't look the same. I just scraped the sticky stuff off and used household polish to get the last bit off, it's hard work though.

Quicksilver
Monday 19th August 2013, 13:34
Sat down last night with the drivers window pack, mirror switch and head unit and started to give the sticky bits a clean using and bottle of Sticky Stuff, it's used for cleaning off kids crayons, pen marks etc well it worked quite well, got all the switches feeling clean and un sticky and without taking all the colour off.

Tomcat
Monday 19th August 2013, 13:37
There's a product called Amberclens (Spelling).. I used to use loads of it when I was servicing rental Tv's back in the day, it's fantastic stuff, foams up when sprayed from the aerosol and cleans all kinds of muck and crap off without harming the plastics underneath.