PDA

View Full Version : Found out my Problem

Guilo2k4
Monday 24th October 2005, 15:15
Hi Mates

My m8 at a garage has tested my T5 and it looks like the Alternator isnt charging the battery up.

Any ideas where i can get one at a reasonable price as ive been quoted 235.00 +vat up here in Sunderland

Cheers

Kev

fraz13
Monday 24th October 2005, 15:24
Try Salvo mate

>>>CLICKY<<< (http://www.salvogroup.co.uk/salvosite.htm)

Ask for Mark, say your a member of this forum and get a 10% discount

Guilo2k4
Monday 24th October 2005, 15:25
Cheers Fraz will do m8.

siamblue
Monday 24th October 2005, 15:43
Hi Mates

My m8 at a garage has tested my T5 and it looks like the Alternator isnt charging the battery up.

Any ideas where i can get one at a reasonable price as ive been quoted 235.00 +vat up here in Sunderland

Cheers

Kev

Anyone know what type of alternators are on the T5? As i know Bosch you can change the brushes on them on their own, which will be a few pounds.

yamma1
Monday 24th October 2005, 17:34
Guilo2k4 - have you got an 850 or V70? I've got an alternator you can have for £25 if it will fit. Check your part no. on the alternator as this one is for a v70 but it may fit. I'm just down the road from you and can deliver no probs.

Guilo2k4
Monday 24th October 2005, 21:42
Cheers Yamma1 for that.

I am gonna get my battery tested tomorrow as i done the alternator test , which i think i got right.

Run engine and disconnect battery terminal, if engine keeps running alternator is ok , (is that right).

Cheers
Kev

LeeT5
Friday 11th November 2005, 10:49
Cheers Yamma1 for that.

I am gonna get my battery tested tomorrow as i done the alternator test , which i think i got right.

Run engine and disconnect battery terminal, if engine keeps running alternator is ok , (is that right).

Cheers
Kev

:jaw: If i did it that way i'd be out of a job in no time. You need a multimeter and then do the following:

1. switch meter to volts and check across terminals whilst engine on tickover - you should have between 13.50 > 14.50v.
2. Check output from positive post on alternator to neg post on batt - reading should be the same as No 1. ie 14.12v.
3. Check voltdrop on live post of alternator to live on batt - should have 0.00v reading.
4. Do the same on earth terminal of batt to the chassis of alternator - again reading should be 0.00v

If u get between 0.00 and 0.20v then ignore but anything more ie 0.42v then you have voltdrop or volt loss. Add this reading to the reading from No1 and if total volts fall between 13.5 and 14.5v the the Alternator is good and does not need replacing. ie

1. reading = 13.20v. (insufficient charge rate)
2. reading = 13.90v. (there is evidense of volt loss on either earth or live circuit)
3. reading = 0.70v. ( you have .7v lost on live side of charge circuit)
4. reading = 0.00v. ( No volt loss - good earth connections)

Conclusion. Clean the live connections, starting at the batt terminals, to the alternator. If readings for 3 + 4 are 0.00v and reading for 1 is 12.50v say when engine ticking over then your alternator is duff.

Hope this helps!