PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 940 Estate lowering springs- Anyone in the UK have them in stock? Urgent!

Stav
Tuesday 13th August 2013, 14:30
As title really- Anyone know of a company who may have some?

Taking the 940 V8 Turbo to RetroRides, and we decided we should lower it first, but we only have a few days to go!

Any ideas welcomed.

TBH a used set if anyone had any would be ok, but I doubt anyone has?

Cheers

M-R-P
Tuesday 13th August 2013, 14:36
Jubilee clips on the OE springs? :)

Biff
Tuesday 13th August 2013, 14:52

Dear lord....
Oxygen/accetallyne on the springs...? ;)

Tomcat
Tuesday 13th August 2013, 14:58
Jubilee clips????.... Christ I'm working with amateurs.... Lmfao... Why not just chop a couple of coils off each spring, that'll get it nice and low until you can get some proper ones.

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 13th August 2013, 15:02
Partforvolvo do some, was gonna get some for my 940 before I gave it to my sister in law

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_160_1082&products_id=7428

Jamest5r
Tuesday 13th August 2013, 15:12
Come and see us at retro rides, small stand with a few Volvo's :)

Stav
Tuesday 13th August 2013, 15:55
James- Hopefully will be in RetroParking (or going up the strip), as haven't got a club stand space. You won't miss it though, it makes enough nose lol.

Partforvolvo do some, was gonna get some for my 940 before I gave it to my sister in law

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_160_1082&products_id=7428

Hopefully they have some in stock, I'll go and collect if need be!

t5 pete
Tuesday 13th August 2013, 16:00

Oh dear

M-R-P
Tuesday 13th August 2013, 16:02
Oh dear

At least it's easy to put back if you don't like it. Not like cutting coils off and ruining the rebound :D

t5 pete
Tuesday 13th August 2013, 16:10
At least it's easy to put back if you don't like it. Not like cutting coils off and ruining the rebound :D

The fact that as soon as the car hits a dip in the road and the suspension compresses even more will rip the clips straight off with the rebound.
A word of warning to any one regarding suspension, brakes etc if your not gunner do it right dont do it at all

M-R-P
Tuesday 13th August 2013, 16:15
The fact that as soon as the car hits a dip in the road and the suspension compresses even more will rip the clips straight off with the rebound.
A word of warning to any one regarding suspension, brakes etc if your not gunner do it right dont do it at all

Loads of jubilee clips :D

Easy big guy, I'm just messin' jubilee clips or cutting coils off are dumb ways of doing it and should be only attempted by chavs.

Stav
Tuesday 13th August 2013, 16:18
Screw using jubilee clips. They'd snap in seconds the way we drive.
Cut springs are a last resort but are useable. Only thing I'd use the jubilees for is to stop the cut spring popping out when there's no load on the springs!

Anyhow, I finally got through to PartsForVolvoOnline, and they haven't any in stock and the makers in Sweden are on back order too.

I get the feeling there's none in the UK at all.

Biff
Tuesday 13th August 2013, 16:25
Dude I was joking about the cutting. I know someone who does it on every car & said car has been featured in many magazines.
If your big girl has nivomat suspension you can drop the rear with fooler bolts.

Tomcat
Tuesday 13th August 2013, 16:32
Loads of jubilee clips :D

Easy big guy, I'm just messin' jubilee clips or cutting coils off are dumb ways of doing it and should be only attempted by chavs.
Steady!!. I had chopped coils on my 960, ran perfectly fine, I wouldn't do it every time but when tuning parts are scarse or none existant...

M-R-P
Tuesday 13th August 2013, 16:37
Steady!!. I had chopped coils on my 960, ran perfectly fine, I wouldn't do it every time but when tuning parts are scarse or none existant...

When deeds must ;)

But it completely screws the spring rate when compared to proper lowering springs. That's why lowering springs usually have the same number of coils as the OE ones.

Tomcat
Tuesday 13th August 2013, 18:31
Yeah I totally agree but as a short term Temporary thing... Or as you say.. If need must.

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 13th August 2013, 18:37
Ebay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-940-MK1-2-3-Lesjofors-Full-Lowering-Coil-Springs-Kit-Upgrade-Suspension-/330817395121

Jamest5r
Tuesday 13th August 2013, 19:12
James- Hopefully will be in RetroParking (or going up the strip), as haven't got a club stand space. You won't miss it though, it makes enough nose lol.

Hopefully they have some in stock, I'll go and collect if need be!

If you ask "Claymore" nicely he might give you a space on the Volvo stand, a 940 has dropped out a couple of weeks ago.

Stav
Tuesday 13th August 2013, 22:53
Ebay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-940-MK1-2-3-Lesjofors-Full-Lowering-Coil-Springs-Kit-Upgrade-Suspension-/330817395121

Delivery is a long time away, after Retro Rides is long over. Which suggests they don't actually have stock. Shame, as they're the first things we spotted.

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 13th August 2013, 22:55
Delivery is a long time away, after Retro Rides is long over. Which suggests they don't actually have stock. Shame, as they're the first things we spotted.
Ah, missed that bit. Just saw 'fast dispatch', sorry bud.

Have you tried these guys?
http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=2650931

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 13th August 2013, 22:59
Or these guys are saying by Friday
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APEX-250-1000-Lowering-Spring-Kit-40mm-Volvo-740-760-940-1984-Onwards-/300941205691?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AVolvo|Model%3A940&hash=item46117e60bb

rockheadrumble
Thursday 15th August 2013, 21:46
I cut the springs on my last 940 and it was fine. The front one are especially fine to cut because their not ended in any particular way so when they are cut they have the same shape. The back ones still sit fine but as suggested need holding down to the stop them popping out. I used extra thick stainless locking wire. It will pass an mot like this.

I have Killen 40mm lowering springs on my new 940 now and the back sits ok but the front is still to high so im going to cut off a coil. front and back is still really soft though to say there lowering springs.

Cutting of coils makes the car stiffer not softer so its all good.

Stav
Saturday 17th August 2013, 18:52
Cut them in the end!