PDA

View Full Version : uh-oh...

M-R-P
Monday 12th August 2013, 15:38
Driving to my mum's earlier and suddenly... No power, "reduced engine performance" on the screen and full limp mode.
I pulled over, didn't have my phone so had to install torque on the wifes phone. Got the code p1651 intermittent ecu fault.
Cleared the code and the cars been fine since. This doesn't look good as a new ecu ain't cheap and the wife will just want me to break the car :(
I'm hoping all the faffing about I did yesterday has disturbed something. Is this likely? I'll pull it all apart later and look.

I hope this isn't the beginning of the end for the Sweed.

graemewelch
Monday 12th August 2013, 15:46
if it is the end for your ecu, shark performance have the software so you can fit a used one. so even if the worse happens the big sweed lives to see another day

M-R-P
Monday 12th August 2013, 15:51
if it is the end for your ecu, shark performance have the software so you can fit a used one. so even if the worse happens the big sweed lives to see another day

I'm still looking at a minimum of 600 quid to replace an ecu. I haven't got that sort of cash and considering we have another.car to use, the wife will just want rid.

Obviously, ill do what I can to save the old boat but if it comes to it, there's a fair few quid in parts sat outside.

graemewelch
Monday 12th August 2013, 16:17
600 sounds a lot. i take it youve already spoke to shark.

JUDGENINJA
Monday 12th August 2013, 16:18
....And what would you replace it with? Any other T5 would cost just as much to run....or are you off to the Starlet forum for good?

Harvey
Monday 12th August 2013, 16:21
Are the earth points ok on the wings and on the engine.

M-R-P
Monday 12th August 2013, 16:23
600 sounds a lot. i take it youve already spoke to shark.
I won't go for a reprogrammed second hand one and risk it happening again so it'll be a new one. And I have a pretty good idea what they cost.

....And what would you replace it with? Any other T5 would cost just as much to run....or are you off to the Starlet forum for good?

it may be a daily for a while.
This is merely speculation for now. I'll have to wait and see if it happens again. It could just be a "blip" - I hope.

M-R-P
Monday 12th August 2013, 16:24

I upgraded the earths a while ago but ill check later.

p fandango
Monday 12th August 2013, 17:34
& you want me to keep my P2, not likely lol

MIKESC70T5
Monday 12th August 2013, 17:39

Has he got an aeroplane now? :redface:

V70 Graham
Monday 12th August 2013, 17:51
Just seen this mate, I really hope it's not the ECU, keep us informed with any developments.

stribo
Monday 12th August 2013, 17:59
Fingers crossed it's only a blip.

graemewelch
Monday 12th August 2013, 18:14
see what happens when ford stick there nose in lol

stribo
Monday 12th August 2013, 18:17
Ford make their own ECUs, Volvo use Motronic perhaps they should have stuck their nose in. :P

M-R-P
Monday 12th August 2013, 18:20
Well the drive home went without a hitch, even though I was giving it some grief.

A bit more googling showed that a mismatch in signals can throw this code. Got me back to thinking I upset something while I was screwing about with it yesterday.

graemewelch
Monday 12th August 2013, 18:46
that good news. i look forward to reading about the next mod

iancho
Monday 12th August 2013, 18:50
Fingers crossed for you mate.as you must be well stressed at the mo

Biff
Monday 12th August 2013, 19:09
Hope that's it mate, the old girl prob felt like throwing a strop, they all do from time to time!

oblark
Monday 12th August 2013, 19:16
Haven`t you learnt yet, if it ain`t broken don`t fix it :)

Hopefully it was just a blip :)

merc85
Monday 12th August 2013, 19:52
Hope shes all good mate, Although ive broken a few now lol

M-R-P
Monday 12th August 2013, 20:14
Another trip out and all still good.

The wife's taking little M-R-P to legoland on friday, then it's Grahams bbq on Saturday. Hope the Sweed behaves.

M-R-P
Thursday 15th August 2013, 00:08
Another 2 days of flawless driving...

Hoping it was just a one-off as the wife's already eying-up a lexus!

FFS:(

silverhorse
Thursday 15th August 2013, 08:11
Another 2 days of flawless driving...

Hoping it was just a one-off as the wife's already eying-up a lexus!

FFS:(

Stop talking about it. You know what will happen if you keep talking about it!!!!

V70 Graham
Thursday 15th August 2013, 08:26
Big test/mileage coming up Sat, I'm sure all will be fine.

M-R-P
Thursday 15th August 2013, 08:40
Legoland tomorrow too.

y2blade
Thursday 15th August 2013, 09:31
Lexus do make bloody fantastic cars Martin.

:eclipsee_

:bud:

V70 Graham
Thursday 15th August 2013, 09:35
Legoland tomorrow too.

You should have looked into a cheap Travelodge, might have been cheaper, Legoland is not too far from us.

stribo
Thursday 15th August 2013, 10:06
Legoland tomorrow too.

Are you taking the ££££let home? ;)

JamesT5
Thursday 15th August 2013, 10:16
Driving to my mum's earlier and suddenly... No power, "reduced engine performance" on the screen and full limp mode.
I pulled over, didn't have my phone so had to install torque on the wifes phone. Got the code p1651 intermittent ecu fault.
Cleared the code and the cars been fine since. This doesn't look good as a new ecu ain't cheap and the wife will just want me to break the car :(
I'm hoping all the faffing about I did yesterday has disturbed something. Is this likely? I'll pull it all apart later and look.

I hope this isn't the beginning of the end for the Sweed.

Oh no, what is it with these ruddy cars and their electronic computer controlled devices! :mad:

They seem to cause no end of faults, holes in our pockets and often without any warning whatsoever. Martin, take out AA Garage cover because after advice from people on here I did to cover myself. You'll have a £35 excess to pay but the AA will cover the rest up to £500 - a big chunk of the cost for a reconditioned ECU or even a new one. :B_thumb:

ExternalError
Thursday 15th August 2013, 10:47
Are you taking the ££££let home? ;)

He's part exing it for one of those lego cars, an upgrade if you ask me

M-R-P
Thursday 15th August 2013, 11:34
Lexus do make bloody fantastic cars Martin.

:eclipsee_

:bud:

Not a RX300 with 165k on it lol.

JamesT5
Thursday 15th August 2013, 13:31
Put the ECU from the Starlet in there and give it a run. Failing that, take the ME7 out of the Sweed, put it in the Starlet, put a loud exhaust on it, big stereo and give it a chav type respray with a few rattle cans making sure you get that uneven look to it, and then go race around Poole like a tit. ;) :hilarious

M-R-P
Wednesday 4th September 2013, 23:52
The bitch did it again!

Coming back from the pistonheads meet, same situation as before - going uphill with the cruise control on doing 70 (ish) mph.

No code stored this time ???

:(

Stopped the car, engine off, engine on roared away in a cloud of tyre smoke. Car working perfectly again.

Bloody thing.

jdavis
Thursday 5th September 2013, 07:11
Very worrying Martin. Do you have vida? That will point you in a better direction to trace the fault
Fingers crossed it's something simple

y2blade
Thursday 5th September 2013, 07:19
Good old Ford :(

silverhorse
Thursday 5th September 2013, 08:30
Hmmmmm. worrying. Is it one of those things that when it happens it can be a bit dangerous? ie you come to a halt in the fast lane of the motorway? Not good if the wife and sprogs are on board:frown:

Hope it is something simple mate. £600 for an ECU change!!!!!:yikes:

M-R-P
Thursday 5th September 2013, 08:44
Actually, it drifts down slowly with no loss of brakes or steering etc, very safe, just annoying.

I have a theory which I'll be investigating.

y2blade
Thursday 5th September 2013, 08:53
Intermittent issues are a bloody nightmare Martin :(

oblark
Thursday 5th September 2013, 09:12
The bitch did it again!

Coming back from the pistonheads meet, same situation as before - going uphill with the cruise control on doing 70 (ish) mph.

No code stored this time ???

:(

Stopped the car, engine off, engine on roared away in a cloud of tyre smoke. Car working perfectly again.

Bloody thing.

So thats why you did catch up with me on the way back,

T5frankie
Thursday 5th September 2013, 09:27
Sounds to me martin has a slight itch for a new car

stribo
Thursday 5th September 2013, 10:17
Good old Ford :(

You mean Volvo. :P

y2blade
Thursday 5th September 2013, 11:26
You mean Volvo. :P

You say tomato, I say tomato.

Either way.........

V70 Graham
Thursday 5th September 2013, 16:50
Actually, it drifts down slowly with no loss of brakes or steering etc, very safe, just annoying.

I have a theory which I'll be investigating.

I hope it's what your thinking, nice easy cheap fix.

silverhorse
Thursday 5th September 2013, 16:56
What are you going to do? Steal one the same as yours!!!

M-R-P
Sunday 15th September 2013, 16:16
right!

bloody thing crapped out on the motorway today... twice!

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/Snapbucket/DSC_0079_zps536f9760.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/Snapbucket/Screenshot_2013-09-15-15-42-33_zps4e983595.png

2 common factors every time it happens are...

1. car is in cruise at motorway speeds.

2. car is going uphill and building boost (around 5psi)

any ideas chaps?

ROZER
Sunday 15th September 2013, 16:36
map sensor dude take it out and give it a clean .

M-R-P
Sunday 15th September 2013, 16:40
map sensor dude take it out and give it a clean .

where shouts is it mate?

T5RatherAmusin
Sunday 15th September 2013, 16:41
where shouts is it mate?

thats the sensor on the ic outlet to tb

ROZER
Sunday 15th September 2013, 16:42
where shouts is it mate?

on the right when you open bonnet on the intercooler its a bugger to remove but like mine it will be dripping with oil my seals have gone on turbo .

M-R-P
Sunday 15th September 2013, 16:42
seen the map sensor thing on a few forums but didn't think I had one...?

M-R-P
Sunday 15th September 2013, 16:43
thats the sensor on the ic outlet to tb

not where you'd expect it to be, being a manifold absolute pressure sensor lol.

thanks guys, I'll have a butcher's and get back to you.

ROZER
Sunday 15th September 2013, 16:44
you do dude same year as mine trust me.

T5RatherAmusin
Sunday 15th September 2013, 16:49
seen the map sensor thing on a few forums but didn't think I had one...?

some people also call them bps (boost pressure sensor).....

V70 Graham
Sunday 15th September 2013, 17:00
Hope an M-R-P clean sorts it out, will be a result if that's all it is.

Kingsford G
Sunday 15th September 2013, 17:12
Just seen this Martin,hope it never happens again,would be a shame to see her go after all that hard work.

AndysR
Sunday 15th September 2013, 17:33
Oh no! Hope you can sort it relatively easily, was only praising your car earlier today as well :(

Harvey
Sunday 15th September 2013, 17:44
right!

bloody thing crapped out on the motorway today... twice!

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/Snapbucket/DSC_0079_zps536f9760.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/Snapbucket/Screenshot_2013-09-15-15-42-33_zps4e983595.png

2 common factors every time it happens are...

1. car is in cruise at motorway speeds.

2. car is going uphill and building boost (around 5psi)

any ideas chaps?

The code listed here.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25110&sid=40a9f5cb1f6e126a2daf1c1c3e602b34

Kingsford G
Sunday 15th September 2013, 17:52
Martin,your fault code stands for this:
P1651 PSP Switch Input Malfunction
so don`t panic and get that investigated

M-R-P
Sunday 15th September 2013, 17:57
Martin,your fault code stands for this:
so don`t panic and get that investigated
that's a generic reading mate.
doesn't apply to P2.

T5RatherAmusin
Sunday 15th September 2013, 17:59
also means power steering pressure so....

what i thnik the volvo code is fuel pump tho

M-R-P
Sunday 15th September 2013, 17:59
The code listed here.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25110&sid=40a9f5cb1f6e126a2daf1c1c3e602b34

max torque exceeded? that's one I've not seen before. Can't see it being likely as it wasn't under hard acceleration. unless there's an acceleration sensor playing up?

M-R-P
Sunday 15th September 2013, 18:00
also means power steering pressure so....

again - not a Volvo specific code.

oblark
Sunday 15th September 2013, 18:01
Acoording to Harvey`s post it`s

[P1651]
Maximum Torque Exceeded Fuel Cut-Off Triggered

Kingsford G
Sunday 15th September 2013, 18:03
that's a generic reading mate.
doesn't apply to P2.
Look up here
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=42231

T5RatherAmusin
Sunday 15th September 2013, 18:03
again - not a Volvo specific code.

ye i no bud was just saying its kinda irrellevant to ur issues lol

also edited my comment. i think its fuel pump code

Harvey
Sunday 15th September 2013, 18:09
max torque exceeded? that's one I've not seen before. Can't see it being likely as it wasn't under hard acceleration. unless there's an acceleration sensor playing up?

As you say car cuts out and stops.

M-R-P
Sunday 15th September 2013, 18:15
Look up here
on the P2. lists I've seen, it's come up as a sensor mismatch or intermittent ecu fault (see original post.

As you say car cuts out and stops.

doesn't cut out or stop mate - goes into limp mode. turn it off and restart, all is fine.

T5RatherAmusin
Sunday 15th September 2013, 18:18
anyhoooo.....try that map sensor only a few seconds to remove it....
see what happens lol

V70 Graham
Sunday 15th September 2013, 18:39
Look up here

I had a PSP once.....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/graham1326/not-just-the-ps3-sonys-psp-sales-stink-too-sne_zps0388a558.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/graham1326/media/not-just-the-ps3-sonys-psp-sales-stink-too-sne_zps0388a558.jpg.html)

T5RatherAmusin
Sunday 15th September 2013, 18:49

I had a PSP once.....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/graham1326/not-just-the-ps3-sonys-psp-sales-stink-too-sne_zps0388a558.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/graham1326/media/not-just-the-ps3-sonys-psp-sales-stink-too-sne_zps0388a558.jpg.html)

thort marbles wouldv been more your era :rotfl: ;)

AndysR
Sunday 15th September 2013, 18:57
thort marbles wouldv been more your era :rotfl: ;)

I was thinking poo sticks or conkers and string if there wasn't water nearby...

Kingsford G
Sunday 15th September 2013, 19:13

I had a PSP once.....

That PSP if for P1 u have there Graham.

M-R-P
Tuesday 24th September 2013, 23:22
Took the map sensor out tonight. It had a bit of oil on it but didn't look too bad. I put it in the ultrasonic bath for a while and stuck it back in. Time will tell I suppose, if the car still plays up, I'll chuck a new one in there.

If it still plays up... I dunno... anybody want some tasty P2 bits?

Fubar1977
Tuesday 24th September 2013, 23:43
Are you REALLY thinking of breaking it?
New ecu is pricey but only 1/2 of what you spent on the clutch.

Just seems a shame to mate...
Unless you're just bored and looking for a new project.

Maybe a T5 engined Starlet :dgrin:

M-R-P
Tuesday 24th September 2013, 23:51
Lol, T5 starlet!

New ECU is about 800 quid. But what if I do the ECU and it turns out to be something in the loom (you seen the loom on a P2?) or another sensor elsewhere that can't be tracked down.

Obviously, I'll do whatever I can to keep the old boat alive but I have to draw the line somewhere. There's £2000 in parts minimum in that thing so if getting it going is gonna cost more than a grand...

The missus just wants me to break it and buy her dad's lexus RX300 :( I want a P3 T6 ex plod :D

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 24th September 2013, 23:57
I want a P3 T6 ex plod :D
:D :D :D ..........that is all

Fubar1977
Wednesday 25th September 2013, 01:46
Fair enough Martin, you've got to draw the line somewhere.

That lines a distant memory for me now :slap:

iancho
Wednesday 25th September 2013, 05:26
Will be sorry to see it go mate after everything you have done, its the most famous ex plod on here and it has been great watching you make the Swede shine :cry:

M-R-P
Wednesday 25th September 2013, 23:19
interesting...

I took the sweed for a quick blast tonight. I didn't get on a position to see if the car was gonna cut out but I noticed something else.

the throttle seems much more "connected" . usually I know what happens when my right foot is in a particular position - I get a predicted power delivery that tails off to the speed I expect. now, I the engine seems to level off, as if it's gone "that's where the pedal is, that's what I'm running to" basically, the throttle position depicts the level of power delivery. it doesn't feel wrong and if I floor it, it's not any slower and if anything, the torque is more progressive.
I'm guessing that this little map sensor has a far bigger part to play in the running of the engine than I initially thought.

can anybody shed any light on this theory?

AndysR
Wednesday 25th September 2013, 23:25
Well it's a pressure sensor so if it's partly clogged/dirty it will no doubt affect the pressure readings the ecu receives which will no doubt have an effect on ignition timing and fuelling so chances are you've restored its sensitivity and made the ecu more efficient at knowing and controlling how the engine performs :)

M-R-P
Wednesday 25th September 2013, 23:47
Well it's a pressure sensor so if it's partly clogged/dirty it will no doubt affect the pressure readings the ecu receives which will no doubt have an effect on ignition timing and fuelling so chances are you've restored its sensitivity and made the ecu more efficient at knowing and controlling how the engine performs :)

Yeah, that's the conclusion I'm coming to. I always thought it was on-demand fuel, related to the throttle position and boost was controlled by the bcs which got it's commands from the ecu, which got it's information from... oooh... P1651... sensor mismatch... I'm running higher than expected boost (bleed valve), custom maf to turbo, IPD tcv... Think I may have found the route of the problem...?

Here's the comparison I came up with while drinking Fosters in the shower... The car used to feel analogue - like a cable throttle. Now it feels digital and after turning off the DSTC, I had a kind of controlled fun I'd not had in the car before :)

Let's hope this has cleared the limp mode issue too :)

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 26th September 2013, 11:01
interesting...

I took the sweed for a quick blast tonight. I didn't get on a position to see if the car was gonna cut out but I noticed something else.

the throttle seems much more "connected" . usually I know what happens when my right foot is in a particular position - I get a predicted power delivery that tails off to the speed I expect. now, I the engine seems to level off, as if it's gone "that's where the pedal is, that's what I'm running to" basically, the throttle position depicts the level of power delivery. it doesn't feel wrong and if I floor it, it's not any slower and if anything, the torque is more progressive.
I'm guessing that this little map sensor has a far bigger part to play in the running of the engine than I initially thought.

can anybody shed any light on this theory?
Some info on ME7 (for Audi, but won't be far off) bit complex but you can get some info from it

http://contiman.free.fr/reprog/reprogrammation%20moteur%201.8t.pdf

M-R-P
Thursday 26th September 2013, 13:37
Thanks Dave, I had a quick look but didn't pin down the bit I was looking for. I'll have a read later when it's quiet :)

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 26th September 2013, 14:07
This is better, more Volvo related Page two for the MAP sensors

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/fuel_injection/ME7.0-InputSignals.pdf

T5RatherAmusin
Thursday 26th September 2013, 18:08
will try and make the boost control sytem sound simple ....

ecu- ecu
bps-boost pressure sensor
tcv- turbo control valve
turbo- turbo

as revs gain, turbo will start to develope boost pressure...
ecu read bps. uses that reading to tell tcv which will activate the wastegate and control boost...
this continuly happens in boost. the circle of boost lol

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 26th September 2013, 18:14
the circle of boost lol

And it moves us all
Through despair and tinkering
Through faith and willing
Till we get a remap
and our turbos spooling
In the Circle.............
The Circle of Booooooost

T5RatherAmusin
Thursday 26th September 2013, 18:27
http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a441/Ian_Armstrong/dvhsdv_zpsa6e1a3b1.jpg

M-R-P
Friday 27th September 2013, 07:58
This is better, more Volvo related Page two for the MAP sensors

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/fuel_injection/ME7.0-InputSignals.pdf

In two lines, that's just confirmed the sensor mismatch fault :)

Thing is... where is the 2nd MAP sensor...?

T5RatherAmusin
Friday 27th September 2013, 10:05
there isnt, but it may be refering to the iat sensor next to it (not all model had them there...)

M-R-P
Friday 27th September 2013, 10:09
there isnt, but it may be refering to the iat sensor next to it (not all model had them there...)

Says it's a pressure sensor that measures temp too but having had all the charge air system off the car, I can't remember seeing another sensor.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 27th September 2013, 11:33
Hmmm, found this pic. Not sure if it is relevant to your model year but number 4 is the pressure sensor, 12 is the temp sensor but check out number 18 which is also a pressure sensor.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/lockheed2266/MAP3.jpg

T5RatherAmusin
Friday 27th September 2013, 11:45
no 18 is where itll be if its not in place4. think it was a facelift change thing but i dunno...
just some models had them on the ic oulet and some had them on the ic-tb pipe

partsforvolvos.com
Friday 27th September 2013, 11:52
the position of the sensors changed between 2002-2003 models.

M-R-P
Friday 27th September 2013, 11:58
No. 4 doesn't exist on mine, and the other one is where the map sensor I cleaned is located.

Hmmm....

Dangerous Dave
Friday 27th September 2013, 12:02
Just getting some more info (waiting on download)

Dangerous Dave
Friday 27th September 2013, 12:16
Component location for 2003 V70

M-R-P
Friday 27th September 2013, 12:33
Thanks Dave that's brilliant.
Is there any more accurate/detailed pics? the "77" looks to point to the inlet manifold. I have a feeling it implies it's on the i/c to throttle pipe - which mine doesn't have.

I'll have a rummage about in the bay later and see what I can find.

T5RatherAmusin
Friday 27th September 2013, 12:40
is this what you mean?
the one right next to the bps

M-R-P
Friday 27th September 2013, 12:45
Yeah, mine doesn't have any sensors on that pipe.

T5RatherAmusin
Friday 27th September 2013, 13:13
ok. could be build into the map or maf sensor then

M-R-P
Friday 27th September 2013, 13:16
Deffo won't be in the maf, and the map is the same as the one in the pic.

I'll have a rummage later.

T5RatherAmusin
Friday 27th September 2013, 13:21
ok mate i dont mean youll see another sensor in the maf. just that it could bi intergrated with like so

M-R-P
Sunday 29th September 2013, 23:44
Well, did the run to Waterlooville and back today without a single hiccup from the Sweed, looks like the map sensor was the problem!

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 29th September 2013, 23:53
Woohoo... Not ready for the scrap heap just yet then..!

M-R-P
Sunday 29th September 2013, 23:59
Hopefully - gonna take a few more clear runs before I get my confidence back but I was even accelerating uphill, at 70 ;) using the + button on the cruise control, in an effort to get it to fail and all was well :)

iancho
Monday 30th September 2013, 04:53
Well that's good to hear Martin, fingers crossed it's sorted mate :)

stribo
Monday 30th September 2013, 07:15
Woohoo... Not ready for the scrap heap just yet then..!

Are you talking abou the car or the driver?

V70 Graham
Monday 30th September 2013, 08:27
So it'll be ok to take me out in it with the new exhaust Friday.....happy days.

y2blade
Monday 30th September 2013, 08:36
Everything crossed here.

Biff
Monday 30th September 2013, 08:41
Good effort dude. Glad it's ok.

M-R-P
Monday 30th September 2013, 08:55
Time will tell I suppose. If it's fine for 3 0r 4 long drives, I'm gonna call it fixed ;)

Graham - it'll be fine for a blast around Poole, I'll try to watch for red lights on the other side of that roundabout next time too :yikes: Good job I got mahoosive brakes eh ;)

V70 Graham
Monday 30th September 2013, 09:25
Time will tell I suppose. If it's fine for 3 0r 4 long drives, I'm gonna call it fixed ;)

Graham - it'll be fine for a blast around Poole, I'll try to watch for red lights on the other side of that roundabout next time too :yikes: Good job I got mahoosive brakes eh ;)

I'll bring a spare pare of undies.....just in case :pants:

Fubar1977
Monday 30th September 2013, 09:43
I`m guessing you`re happy it`s fixed given the exhaust you`ve just put on it.
Happy days!

The Big Swede`ll never die.
It`ll outlast you I reckon.
You`ll be buried in it, Egyptian style.

M-R-P
Monday 30th September 2013, 10:00
The exhaust can be removed, just like all the other bits ;) Maybe quicker than I thought - the missus still hasn't driven it and she might hate the thing lol.