PDA

View Full Version : how come its so hard finding a decent/right one

p fandango
Sunday 11th August 2013, 22:40
although i've not been looking full-time for Bonny's replacement, i am surprised how hard it is to find a decent car in the right spec. Most diesels seem to be 2.0D's & not D5's, & then not many are R-design or manuals. Been to look at 2 local V50's & both had been mistreated (which is something coming from me lol). The first being on a main dealer forecourt was an absolute nail, don't think there was any panels without a scratch & the leather looked like it had stripe of fake tan or similiar sprayed over it. Todays one had a big chip in the windscreen (& 12months MOT hmm) & screw driver marks where they'd tried to prise off the alloy trim on the floating centre console

JamesT5
Sunday 11th August 2013, 22:59
If you want a perfect car then buy a new one, second hand cars are seldom if ever perfect.

p fandango
Sunday 11th August 2013, 23:08
If you want a perfect car then buy a new one, second hand cars are seldom if ever perfect.
i'm not expecting a perfect car, but certainly not expecting a 5year old car to have screw driver marks into the dash

& inless i win the lottery i'd never buy new, too many issues even from new & lose too much money

graemewelch
Sunday 11th August 2013, 23:29
theres loads of cars of the age your looking at that will be mint. i agree id never buy new and at other end of scale id never buy high milage cars unless its a run about that gets scraped when im finished with it. one of my mates has just bought a s40 2005. its like new. he did come across i lot of rough ones befor finding a good one

MoleT-5R
Monday 12th August 2013, 02:29

I'm not lucky in live normally, but thank god and touch something swedish, I've been lucky with all my 7 volvo's, but you can't even guarantee that a new one will not give you any trouble, you fall for what you like and live with it, oh isn't that called marriage.....lol

M-R-P
Monday 12th August 2013, 08:26
Unless you find another S60 D5, I recon you'll struggle to find anything you like mate. Your dislike of the blue oval probably means you psychologically will be looking for any little problem with the newer 40/50 series cars and we all realise, in one way or another, that cars under 10 years old are normally built down to a budget (look at the new focus) and have a life expectancy of 5 years or 100k miles so there's already a level of suspicion there before you even look at the thing.

Spend your budget on getting Bonny right and getting an MOT on that noisy garden ornament of yours. You'll feel better about it :)

stephenevans99
Monday 12th August 2013, 08:38
I think Kerry's looking at a replacement for his S60 D5 at the moment - maybe worth contacting him. His friend also has a gorgeous 2006 S60 T5 SE LUX - 80K - Manual in Sapphire Black. STUNNING looking car £4300

graemewelch
Monday 12th August 2013, 11:31
the black one sounds a very good buy. i looked at the v50's and felt the built quality wasnt the same. the dash looked boring and the seats looked like they lacked padding. stick with the s60 or newer v70

y2blade
Monday 12th August 2013, 12:32
although i've not been looking full-time for Bonny's replacement, i am surprised how hard it is to find a decent car in the right spec. Most diesels seem to be 2.0D's & not D5's, & then not many are R-design or manuals. Been to look at 2 local V50's & both had been mistreated (which is something coming from me lol). The first being on a main dealer forecourt was an absolute nail, don't think there was any panels without a scratch & the leather looked like it had stripe of fake tan or similiar sprayed over it. Todays one had a big chip in the windscreen (& 12months MOT hmm) & screw driver marks where they'd tried to prise off the alloy trim on the floating centre console

The irony is strong in this one. :uglyhamme

BIG G
Monday 12th August 2013, 14:18
Got a 2004 xc90 d5 if interested?

graemewelch
Monday 12th August 2013, 14:24
Got a 2004 xc90 d5 if interested?

ill swap ya for a t5 and a curly wurly

BIG G
Monday 12th August 2013, 14:27
ill swap ya for a t5 and a curly wurly

2 curly wurlys and some wheat crunches lol

graemewelch
Monday 12th August 2013, 14:49
2 curly wurlys and some wheat crunches lol

that seems a bit steap, a curly wurly and a fredo is about the best i can offer

BIG G
Monday 12th August 2013, 14:50
that seems a bit steap, a curly wurly and a fredo is about the best i can offer

Ha ha:funkybana

p fandango
Monday 12th August 2013, 17:22
theres loads of cars of the age your looking at that will be mint
there are, but not many even in the spec i want (D5 manual either V50 or possibly C30)

p fandango
Monday 12th August 2013, 17:24
I'm not lucky in live normally, but thank god and touch something swedish, I've been lucky with all my 7 volvo's, but you can't even guarantee that a new one will not give you any trouble, you fall for what you like and live with it, oh isn't that called marriage.....lol
when i bought my 850 T-5 i didn't even get to take her for a test drive as it was thrown at the back of the showroom behind 10 other cars, but as you say it was a lucky one

p fandango
Monday 12th August 2013, 17:27
Unless you find another S60 D5, I recon you'll struggle to find anything you like mate. Your dislike of the blue oval probably means you psychologically will be looking for any little problem with the newer 40/50 series cars and we all realise, in one way or another, that cars under 10 years old are normally built down to a budget (look at the new focus) and have a life expectancy of 5 years or 100k miles so there's already a level of suspicion there before you even look at the thing.

Spend your budget on getting Bonny right and getting an MOT on that noisy garden ornament of yours. You'll feel better about it :)
nope, i don't change cars often so when i do i'm certainly not buying the same car. As for keeping Bonny, again not an option. Its only going to take the clutch to go & i've got to spend more than the value of the car to get it road-worthy. The V50's do look quite nice inside, yet to have a test-drive yet tho

graemewelch
Monday 12th August 2013, 17:34
there are, but not many even in the spec i want (D5 manual either V50 or possibly C30)

i fully understand what you mean there. when i look for sumit different to the s60 i have now. i find it almost everything i see cant match mine for spec and condition

p fandango
Monday 12th August 2013, 17:54
i fully understand what you mean there. when i look for sumit different to the s60 i have now. i find it almost everything i see cant match mine for spec and condition
my bro sent me a link to this one, looked perfect, manual box, nice leather interior. Then clocked its only a 2.0D :(

http://pictures2.autotrader.co.uk/imgser-uk/servlet/media?id=265826611&width=1024&height=768

nottsgreent5
Saturday 17th August 2013, 11:00
2.0ds are pretty punchy and are a nice drive if you find a decent one last one i had ago in was a bit of a wheel spin machine lol

The Flying Moose
Saturday 17th August 2013, 13:10
The 2.0D is quite punchy I have to agree, I can only go off the V70 with the 2.0D engine as I had one for a while and that was raunchy enough, returned about 43 to the gallon and you have to bear in mind that was a much heavier car than the V50 or S40. I think they map up to a reasonable figure too for little money.

Blackdog
Sunday 18th August 2013, 14:17
Might be of interest

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201308178367559