PDA

View Full Version : recirc questions

Cam
Thursday 8th August 2013, 12:09
hi all new to the forum and mods to turbos so bear with me if i ask questions which you have all seen before ,i have tried the search but not been able to find the answer i need .i have a 2000/01 v70t5 auto which is standard apart from a small mod i was told about from a swedish volvo tech who worked on design and research stuff ,so i want a bit more sound from the car i had a 850 2.5 10v which with a filter sounded sweet ,the t5 is quiet so i know an exhaust is 1 answer but i also fancy induction/turbo noise/chatter.i have been told to forget the dumpvalve way but poss go blanking plate on the recirc or m.r.p s mod ,but i have just read about poss damage to the turbo with just blanking it off ,is this the case or not ,filter kits which is best any diy mods to the box

M-R-P
Thursday 8th August 2013, 12:40
The whole Will it/won't it damage the turbo is an ongoing debate mate and best left alone lol.
An easy one is to get a big cone filter from Ebay for about a fiver, take the lid off the airbox, remove the maf from the lid, fit the filter to the maf and rest it in the bottom half of the airbox. You'll get some nice wooshy noises, especially if you remove the soundproofing from the bonnet (5 minute job)

Watch from about 1:30...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Ql35OZEfs

ExternalError
Thursday 8th August 2013, 12:47
Beware though your fuel economy will drop serverly due to you revving it more to get the whoosh hish sound, but as a wise person once said to me forget about Miles per gallon, its all about the smiles per gallon.

Biff
Thursday 8th August 2013, 12:47
I'm not sure on the blanking plate stalling your turbo tbh, can't see Martin putting one on his t5 if it was gonna screw it up. I'm pretty sure his is the original & has seen over 200k. Blanking plates are cheap enough & me personally would recomend forge Motorsport.
As for the noises, an induction kit will make your chatter louder when your plate is fitted but I have drilled my air box & removed the sound deadening under the bonnet with a plate.
For the box I can't help I'm afraid.
Sure someone in the know will be along soon though. Lol

M-R-P
Thursday 8th August 2013, 12:55
Yep - mine has 203k and the original turbo. I fitted a series of valves to lock the waste gate closed but I had it switched off most of the time in case it caused undue wear.

Biff
Thursday 8th August 2013, 13:03
Sorry mate, by time I'd started replying you'd replied.
From what I'm led to believe mine isn't affected by it but I looked into it before I bought a plate.

M-R-P
Thursday 8th August 2013, 13:10
Like I said, the debate is still ongoing as to weather or not it's harmful to the turbo but there's also the stress to the rest of the system to consider - Intercoolers can split, pipes can pop off or split. Running standard boost pressure should be ok but I'm running an MBC and occasionally hit 16-18 psi.

Cam
Thursday 8th August 2013, 17:04
So running standard boost with a blanking plate should be ok or just running a filter will produce a nice noise

M-R-P
Thursday 8th August 2013, 17:08
If you're on a budget, do the cone filter thing first and I can show you how to make the rig to lock the waste gate shut if you want.

Cam
Thursday 8th August 2013, 22:38
Will do thanks

Nutternick
Thursday 15th August 2013, 12:42
I just have a cone filter on this and standard dump valve

http://youtu.be/fYP4WtFTkF0

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 15th August 2013, 12:49
Tuning for a reason or modding just to make noises? LOL all seems a bit pointless.

M-R-P
Thursday 15th August 2013, 13:17
Just like changing wheels or tinting Windows or even detailing. It serves no purpose to performance but we do it to enjoy the car more. Hardly pointless.

Biff
Thursday 15th August 2013, 13:42
Just like changing wheels or tinting Windows or even detailing. It serves no purpose to performance but we do it to enjoy the car more. Hardly pointless.
Agreed, surely the whole point of modifying or customising is to stand out or break from the humdrum of everyday cars.
It's not all about flat out & max power for me. I think it's great people turn they're heads as I'm chattering away. Lol

M-R-P
Thursday 15th August 2013, 15:53
That reminds me, I must get a video of the new "bark" I get from the recirc when I dump the throttle at 6psi ;)

Nutternick
Thursday 15th August 2013, 16:03
I was surpised mine was as loud as it is with just the filter changed

M-R-P
Thursday 15th August 2013, 16:05
Says the video is private...?

Nutternick
Thursday 15th August 2013, 16:29
Try viewing now should be working

M-R-P
Thursday 15th August 2013, 17:08
That's better :)

I'll try getting one of mine in a bit :)

oblark
Thursday 15th August 2013, 17:15
That reminds me, I must get a video of the new "bark" I get from the recirc when I dump the throttle at 6psi ;)

"bark" if you want something that "barks" get a 850 run it to 1/2 a bar in second and let go of the throttle :)

Biff
Thursday 15th August 2013, 19:56
Mine is definitely the loudest in second. The security guards in work always tell me to give it a bit. Lol
They're fans of the old girl purely on sound. Lol

p fandango
Thursday 15th August 2013, 20:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmNucK8712M

Biff
Thursday 15th August 2013, 20:54
I just have a cone filter on this and standard dump valve

http://youtu.be/fYP4WtFTkF0
I need an induction kit to add to my shed full of parts to be fitted for my "stage 1". Lol

M-R-P
Friday 16th August 2013, 00:29
Here we go...
Sadly, the video is marred by the sound of the camer rattling about in it's holder but there's some good noises in there :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sighWdTgVIs

960kg
Friday 16th August 2013, 13:16
Tuning for a reason or modding just to make noises? LOL all seems a bit pointless.

More than a bit pointless........If more power generates more noise then then it has to be, but the blanking plate must be used with a dump valve otherwise it does strain the turbo because it cannot get rid of the boost it no longer wants and upon re-throttling the turbo wants to reverse rotation and therefore there is more lag.

The standard set up gives best performance and less lag.

I have the Forge Recirculating Valve on my turbo with a yellow spring and that is as far as i will go and the noise that makes is very irritating when lifting off, but it makes no effect to more or less performance just keeps the valve shut for a shade longer.....but then the boost keeps it shut via the vac. hose so who is a fool for shedding out £140 and 3 hours of agro fitting it??

I still have the standard one which is going back in but time is not on my side!

I am glad i have already had my second child hood!

Cam
Friday 16th August 2013, 22:48
the majority of things we do in life for fun or as an interest are prob pointless but the fact its fun is the reason we do them ,as the saying goes "if i never tried it what else would i do".at some point you felt the need to fit your valve and if you really didnt like it time would be made to remove it ,does everything in life need a point to it

960kg
Saturday 17th August 2013, 09:44
Everything in life HAS to have a point otherwise we would not learn anything!...perhaps that is where you are going wrong?

Perhaps i got the wrong end of the stick again i thought the point of trying things on a performance motor and reporting on a performance forum was to have the car go faster and not slower!

The valve i fitted neither made it slow or faster but just held the boost for longer with no leak and having a bad back and over 65yrs it will have to wait to be removed. If you have replaced one then and only then will you know what i mean.

But then each to his own...

M-R-P
Saturday 17th August 2013, 10:07
They are indeed a pain to change, bad back or not lol.

There's loads of modifications we make to our cars that make no performance gains whatsoever. The classic case is induction kits and performance air filters. It's been proven time after time that the performance gains from fitting these things makes as close to no extra power as makes no difference, yet we still fit them for the look and the noise. Then we post pictures and tell everybody how good it is.
Perhaps you have got the wrong end of the stick as there's more to posting on a performance forum than simply making a car go faster. I've painted my wheels sparkly black. I don't think I go any faster as a result but I like it. I'm also rather fond of the collection of noises I get from my recirc valve (which has a 2p spring mod in it) again I don't go any faster :D

Biff
Saturday 17th August 2013, 10:33
They are indeed a pain to change, bad back or not lol.

There's loads of modifications we make to our cars that make no performance gains whatsoever. The classic case is induction kits and performance air filters. It's been proven time after time that the performance gains from fitting these things makes as close to no extra power as makes no difference, yet we still fit them for the look and the noise. Then we post pictures and tell everybody how good it is.
Perhaps you have got the wrong end of the stick as there's more to posting on a performance forum than simply making a car go faster. I've painted my wheels sparkly black. I don't think I go any faster as a result but I like it. I'm also rather fond of the collection of noises I get from my recirc valve (which has a 2p spring mod in it) again I don't go any faster :D

I agree Martin, the sound was one of the reasons was a mates 855 t5r. The noise of it was unreal. Mines getting there now the exhaust has coked up. In reality there aren't that many places I can use the full performance. I want as much grip & handling as I can get before I think about tuning it properly.
I want it looking well & sounding well otherwise I find it gets regarded as "just a Volvo". Jo public doesn't get the Volvo estate thing I find. It's good to open they're eyes a bit I think. I'm no boy racer anymore granted but my car is far from loud.

Cam
Thursday 22nd August 2013, 22:47
filter fitted noise achieved .did i know it would sound different yes which is why i did it ,i dont think im going wrong anywhere sometime just do stuff for fun and enjoy

kyboy
Friday 23rd August 2013, 10:43
My R's got a forge blank plate a bsr induction kit and a turbo back stainless exhaust, you can't beat the sound of a 5 banger popping and banging on snapping off throttle,the constant grin factor is priceless plus it puts new stuff in its place!! Iam and always will be an old boy racer and were not alone!!!

t5cookie
Monday 2nd September 2013, 09:11
Merc85 has a blanking plate on his 18t and all has been ok for a while i do believe. if you have a good turbo thats not on its way out or getting weak then i don't think you will experience any problems.

misterstiggy
Saturday 14th September 2013, 17:17
some interesting noises i have to say all very nice! think i may go the stealth route in terms of noise.
not a hater at all maybe its an age thing for me and been there with older cars owned!
still love good induction and well tuned baffled noises!

Cam
Tuesday 17th September 2013, 22:34
normalish driving its still fairly quiet ,when you boot it then you get the full intake roar