PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help!

gazjacko
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 22:08
Car broke down at the weekend ( just wouldn't start ). Called the AA out as I was stumped.
There is a spark and fuel to the fuel rail but the injectors aren't pulsing. The AA couldn't get it going so I've had to abandon it in darkest Cornwall (nearest Volvo dealer 50 miles - Exeter) unless it's a Massey ferguson / John Dere / Fordson I don't think the local spanner merchants wil be able to cope.
Advice/Ideas/Best guess at what's wrong? Crank sensor?
HELP!!!!

fraz13
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 22:11
Immobiliser or MAF sensor??

spesh
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 22:13
would still start if the maf was faulty

volvotuning
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 22:14
Car would still run with a faulty MAF. Probably immobiliser as fraz says. Any fault codes?

Adam.

fraz13
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 22:17
When ma MAF packet in it wouldnt run at all, unplugged it and it would run, plug it back in and it chucked it

spesh
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 22:19
Thats cause its a scottish MAF so it aint proper so thats why it didnt start!!!

volvotuning
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 22:19
Should still fire though, even with a faulty maf, ie the injectors should still pulse.

Adam.

fraz13
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 22:20
Damn mibees if it watched the sheep gettin rogered it would be better :doh: haha :haha:

spesh
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 22:22
Can we keep on topic fraz, please!!!!!!!!!!
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
Dont know how the standard volvo imobiliers works, aftermarket ones normally cut the fuel pump suppy, but i guess the volvo one is a bit more high tec

fraz13
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 22:24
Sorry mate, ye obviously got a KB at the weekend lol hahahahahahaha

The wee "ring" that goes round the ignition barrel sometimes goes...

gazjacko
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 23:46
No codes shown on OBDII. car running perfectly prior to stopping. Tried to start first couple of turns ( fired then died) but then nothing not a sausage !

Andrew
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 23:50
No codes shown on OBDII. car running perfectly prior to stopping. Tried to start first couple of turns ( fired then died) but then nothing not a sausage !

Does the battery check out ok ? I had something similar happen to my V70 a day after I had it - thought it may be a duff battery but it worked fine after charging and has never happened again...

Of course it could be I left something on and disconnecting the battery for a few hours cleared whatever the problem was...

gezR
Monday 24th October 2005, 00:01
I had the exact same symptoms as you when my 850 broke down a few weeks ago. It turned out to be the fuel pump was at fault even though the AA man who attended mine said exactly the same as you've posted ie that there was fuel at the injector rail but no power at the injectors themselves. Hope this is some use to you.

Gez

EDIT-It even did the firing runing a few seconds and then dying trick you've also mentioned. Deffinatley worth checking the fuel pump.

gazjacko
Tuesday 25th October 2005, 20:16
Cheers for the input fellas, going to collect this weekend and will post the diagnosis when I find out.
PS -Irony - Brake upgrade bits arrived yesterday!!!!

gazjacko
Tuesday 1st November 2005, 20:31
Diagnosis - Fuel pump faulty and burning out relay. therefore fuel geting through but not at high enough pressure

GuyD5
Tuesday 1st November 2005, 23:14
Diagnosis - Fuel pump faulty and burning out relay. therefore fuel geting through but not at high enough pressure

Spot on Gez :)