PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a 2.4 engine to a S60R.

stribo
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:02
Had the car in to the garage today to have the thermostat changed because it's overheating, to be told it'sn got a cracked liner. (Awaits the "I told you so" posts) The plan now is to fit a 2.4 lump, but have a couple of questions.

1. Does the 2.4 engine have VVT on both cams, or will the heads have to be swapped over?
2. Is the turbo oil return in the same place as on the R?

merc85
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:09
I dont ever laugh at anyones miss fortune, dont to others that you wouldnt like done to yourself, thats how i live anyway.

In response to the engines i thought the vvt was just on the exhaust cam tbh well the solenoid anyway, and id had thought the turbo return is in the same spot on both lumps, but im not that well up on the later engines.

Hope you get it sorted out mate.

By the looks of this > http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=235818&ukey_make=865&ukey_model=12011&modelYear=2007&ukey_category=7072&ukey_driveLine=483&ukey_trimLevel=24667

The vvt is on both cams

graemewelch
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:15
vvt on both cams. if you want my number so can i compare both engines. if need any info give me a shout

M-R-P
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:24
All the 2.4 t5 engines have the vvt on both cams mate.

Can't you get the liner fixed and have it all shimmed? Must be cheaper than a replacement engine, less effort too.

Jamest5r
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:26
So you didn't escape the pod unscathed :)

oblark
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:31
Had the car in to the garage today to have the thermostat changed because it's overheating, to be told it'sn got a cracked liner. (Awaits the "I told you so" posts) The plan now is to fit a 2.4 lump, but have a couple of questions.

1. Does the 2.4 engine have VVT on both cams, or will the heads have to be swapped over?

The oil return pipe is the same on ALL 5 cylinder blocks.

I`ve fitted a K24 to a 2.3 block with no mods to the return pipe :)

Santa
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:32
Sorry to hear that mate :(

stribo
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:33
So you didn't escape the pod unscathed :)

Escaped Pod, but possibly not Shakespeare Raceway. ;)

stribo
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:34
All the 2.4 t5 engines have the vvt on both cams mate.

Can't you get the liner fixed and have it all shimmed? Must be cheaper than a replacement engine, less effort too.

Apparently liners can't be fixed once split, and shimming now wouldn't be guaranteed to sort the problem.

claymore
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:34
Just fix the liner mate, it's not difficult, it's worked on mine.

claymore
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:36
Apparently liners can't be fixed once split, and shimming now wouldn't be guaranteed to sort the problem.
Rubish, whoever told you that don't know what they're talking about, if you need a 2.4 block, I've got one that's been repaired and shimmed by Tim Williams.

S70T5Chris
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:36

They can be. I'd have a word with Tim Williams. He's done a fair few 2.5's that have split their liners now.

stribo
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:37
Just fix the liner mate, it's not difficult, it's worked on mine.

How is the liner fixed, any idea who could do it around here?

stribo
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:38
They can be. I'd have a word with Tim Williams. He's done a fair few 2.5's that have split their liners now.

Have you got a contact number for him?

M-R-P
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:38
As above mate, it can be done.

Gutted for you tho mate, so soon after the remap too.

(this is where I'd add a link to my first post on your remap thread but I'm not THAT mean)

claymore
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:40
do it yourself, just shim it with stainless steel, it will be hard th get the shim in on the damaged liner, and use jbweld to seal it all.

stribo
As above mate, it can be done.

Gutted for you tho mate, so soon after the remap too.

(this is where I'd add a link to my first post on your remap thread but I'm not THAT mean)

I know, I know, maybe I shouldn't have had the rev limiter raised. ;)

oblark
How is the liner fixed, any idea who could do it around here?

My understanding is if you stop the split from opening by shimming the block you sort the problem.

stribo
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:42
do it yourself, just shim it with stainless steel, it will be hard th get the shim in on the damaged liner, and use jbweld to seal it all.

That's a bit beyond my capabilities I'm afraid. I have noticed on another forum that some people say the shim should be the same level as the top of the block, and some say it should be below, any ideas?

oblark
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:46
Just below

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u433/oblark/volvo%20850%20t5/Engine%20rebuild%20project/IMAG0882.jpg (http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/oblark/media/volvo%20850%20t5/Engine%20rebuild%20project/IMAG0882.jpg.html)

stribo
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:49
Just below

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u433/oblark/volvo%20850%20t5/Engine%20rebuild%20project/IMAG0882.jpg (http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/oblark/media/volvo%20850%20t5/Engine%20rebuild%20project/IMAG0882.jpg.html)

What holds the shim in place? Just the head?

stephenevans99
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:50
Sorry to hear the bad news..... could it be a result of the recent remap at DNA Tuning or just totally coincidental? But a split liner just a few short weeks after a remap sounds suspicious.

stribo
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:52
Sorry to hear the bad news..... could it be a result of the recent remap at DNA Tuning or just totally coincidental?

Possibly the result of the remap, but not DNAs fault, just an inherent problem with the 2.5s.

stephenevans99
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:54
I believe so.....it's like a plague on the ST Owners Club. But those boys tend to go for the aggressive maps..

oblark
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 18:58
What holds the shim in place? Just the head?

The shimming is a push fit in the block, so as the engine gets hot it grips the shimming :)

volvokid
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 19:00
Was there any running signs when this happened

graemewelch
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 19:01
Possibly the result of the remap, but not DNAs fault, just an inherent problem with the 2.5s.

it dosnt just happen on mapped cars. lots of standard ones crack to. id says its being going for quiet acwhile

stribo
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 19:09
Was there any running signs when this happened

It's recently started overheating, but I believe water loss is a typical sign, which we haven't had.

daza-b
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 19:10

That sucks mate sorry to hear it :(

Biff
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 19:12
Trust me mate, its not that hard. Bad times its got to come apart, time consuming but its possible.
Good luck with it, its just the labour that's expensive the job itself is sound really. As Colin said some stainless will do & I'd be tempted to do them all & enjoy the raised rev limit a bit more!

graemewelch
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 19:17
if you did do the job your self the hardest bit will be stting the vvc when the belt is refited, whats the milage on your car

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 19:23
Hmmm, interesting, might do this to my 2.4 engine which is waiting completion.

Don't get how shimming would fix a cracked liner though, wouldn't the sheer forces involved still find a way through? And what about the reason why the slit is there in the first place?

volvokid
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 19:24
Im having mine shimmed I hope next year from tim

Dream3r
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 19:24
I take it they've has a scope down it? All the others I've read about monstered coolant, or at least sipped it.

Dream3r
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 19:26
Im having mine shimmed I hope next year from tim

Best thing you can do mate. You'll be able to hit the train to Tim's and back as well, East Coast with one switch.

oblark
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 19:31

Don't get how shimming would fix a cracked liner though, wouldn't the sheer forces involved still find a way through? And what about the reason why the slit is there in the first place?

When the engine is cold the crack closes rigth up but when the engine is at normal running temp the crack opens up,

So shimming the block stops the crack from opening up.

volvokid
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 19:33
Best thing you can do mate. You'll be able to hit the train to Tim's and back as well, East Coast with one switch.

Yeah I know. I think its inevitable that all r engines will fail like this at some point

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 19:35
Some info on the Passionford

http://passionford.com/forum/ford-focus-st/445728-focus-st-block-mod-info-inc-secret-block-mod.html

Apologies Stribo, if I have steered this thread further off topic (ish)

And another on VS
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/159452-liner-shimming/

GregE102
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 19:42

Shimming the liners does not fix a crack, but it will stop them splitting in the future.
I believe the splitting is caused by the flexing in gap between the liners this small amount of flexing allows the liners to spit over time, and If I am not mistaken others have also called it trumpeting in the past as well, which is a result of to much pressure in the cylinder at the point where everything ignites and again the pressure has to go some where!
Shimming your block will help with both of these!

GregE102
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 19:45

The days of people fitting the 2.4 due to liners is over!
Loads of people on T5D5 have had their 2.5 blocks shimmed for a long time with heavy modification and no problems!
I would stick with the 2.5 as there is no replacement for displacement as they say!

Harvey
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 19:49
Sorry to here the bad news,just how much did you have the red line raised ?.
When I read this even more than happy to leave it stock,engine that.
Do hope you can get it back on the road soon.

graemewelch
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 19:54

i dont think it makes that much difference. its a common fault standard or remaped it can still happen.

Harvey
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 19:57
i dont think it makes that much difference. its a common fault standard or remaped it can still happen.

What I have seen on the web almost all liners have cracked when a remap has been done and driven hard.

stribo
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 20:04
I take it they've has a scope down it? All the others I've read about monstered coolant, or at least sipped it.
Not that I know of, just changed the thermostat, and as it continued overheating said it was either cracked liner, or head gasket, but head gasket is rare.

stribo
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 20:05

It's been raised to 6700.

graemewelch
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 20:06
What I have seen on the web almost all liners have cracked when a remap has been done and driven hard.

remaping will slightly increase the odds on it failing but it dosnt mean it wont happen when its remapped. its a daft mistake by volvo. they tried to make the R better by making it 100cc bigger but instead made it weaker. to behonest im tempted to shim my liners and ive got the 2.4. if i do ill kill two birds with one stone and polish and remove cast marks on the head

claymore
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 20:08
When you shim the cracked liner you must use jbweld as well, to help seal the crack, so you might as well use jbleld on all the shims, here is one that Tim repaired with 2 cracked liners:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/20130308_161207-2.jpg (http://s170.photobucket.com/user/claymore2k/media/20130308_161207-2.jpg.html)
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/20130308_161222.jpg (http://s170.photobucket.com/user/claymore2k/media/20130308_161222.jpg.html)

graemewelch
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 20:08
Not that I know of, just changed the thermostat, and as it continued overheating said it was either cracked liner, or head gasket, but head gasket is rare.

have they done a compression test. for all they know the propeller on the water pump could be loose. i know im obcessed with compression tests but they can get so much info about whats going on

Volvo_Mad
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 20:09
why change a 2.5 turbo with 300 brake for a 2.4 with less power?

graemewelch
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 20:09
When you shim the cracked liner you must use jbweld as well, to help seal the crack, so you might as well use jbleld on all the shims, here is one that Tim repaired with 2 cracked liners:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/20130308_161207-2.jpg (http://s170.photobucket.com/user/claymore2k/media/20130308_161207-2.jpg.html)
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/20130308_161222.jpg (http://s170.photobucket.com/user/claymore2k/media/20130308_161222.jpg.html)

are the liners removed befor jibwelded. are the liners alloy or steel

S70T5Chris
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 20:11
why change a 2.5 turbo with 300 brake for a 2.4 with less power?

The engine makes no difference, near as dammit. A 2.4 T5 is 260bhp, and a standard S60R is generally 280bhp despite the book figures. The difference in power is purely down to software. Apart from the tiny increase in engine size, the hardware is exactly the same.

claymore
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 20:12
are the liners removed befor jibwelded. are the liners alloy or steel

You just squeeze some jbweld in the slot and then push the shims in

Dream3r
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 20:15
The engine makes no difference, near as dammit. A 2.4 T5 is 260bhp, and a standard S60R is generally 280bhp despite the book figures. The difference in power is purely down to software. Apart from the tiny increase in engine size, the hardware is exactly the same.

^ This. The 2.4 software is just a seriously detuned R file.

Don't write the block off without confirming. The liner 'fix' doesn't work 100% but does work in a lot of cases.

If it was me and I had blown liners I'd try it, the man's a magician!

BTW, my redline is 7600RPM, and yes I drove it bouncing off the rev limiter at Combe all morning lol.

JT
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 20:27
gutted for you mate, now we both have loads to do before trax!:B_steerin

Nealevo
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 20:33
Sorry to hear about your woes, hope its sorted for TRAX

GregE102
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 20:41

I love it when you talk dirty Chris!

And your right the Engine makes no Difference, I have always found a Tim is what makes the difference between an engine going FUBAR and not!!
And we have both been down that road, but since using a Tim its not happened!
It speaks for its self!

stribo
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 21:13
I'll be bending Tim's ear tomorrrow. ;)

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 21:32
I dunno, my 2.4 lpt headgasket has gone twice, and my dads needs doing now as well.

Are those shims flush with the top of the block? Was reading one of the threads with a debate whether or not to have them flush or a couple of mm below.

stribo
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 21:49
I dunno, my 2.4 lpt headgasket has gone twice, and my dads needs doing now as well.

Are those shims flush with the top of the block? Was reading one of the threads with a debate whether or not to have them flush or a couple of mm below.

Speaking to my mechanic today, he said even when he'd done head gaskets at the dealer he worked at, they never held, but he hadn't had to do that many as they're not that common.

t5 pete
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 23:11
Speaking to my mechanic today, he said even when he'd done head gaskets at the dealer he worked at, they never held, but he hadn't had to do that many as they're not that common.

Theres must be a reason for the failing head gaskets after being replaced weve never had one fail so some thing must have been a mistake

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 23:35
Theres must be a reason for the failing head gaskets after being replaced weve never had one fail so some thing must have been a mistake
Yeah, me and my remapping skills and thrashing the engine LOL

My last HG replacement lasted a week, though I think it's something more serious than that, will find out when I rip out the engine

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 00:28
Oh ££££££... Are you going to done by TRAX??

stribo
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 00:58
Oh ££££££... Are you going to done by TRAX??

Hopefully.

V70 Graham
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 02:34
Just read through this.....sorry to hear you bad news Steve, hopefully you will have her back on the road soon with not too much expense.

As you know I recently purchased from Halfords a 'professional' socket set, I also own a hacksaw (I think the blades blunt though) and a bit of sandpaper, if I can be of any use to you whatsoever don't hesitate to give me a shout, I'll be only too willing to help, how hard can it be ?

stephenevans99
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 08:17
lol Graham....go to bed.

M-R-P
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 08:23
It's been raised to 6700.

????

P2 T5s have a 7250rpm limiter, is it lower on the R?

V70 Graham
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 09:08
????

He forgot a zero, he had it raised to 67,000......there's a lot to be said for not going above 3000 rpm :redface:

graemewelch
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 09:21
He forgot a zero, he had it raised to 67,000......there's a lot to be said for not going above 3000 rpm :redface:

sure is graham, it gets you know wear fast

stribo
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 10:04
????

John who did the remap said as standard it's 6250.

M-R-P
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 10:11
Must be an R thing then.

I got nowhere near the limiter on this video (filmed in a private driveway)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDDh-IbW8Ps

volvokid
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 10:15
John who did the remap said as standard it's 6250.

I've never hit my limiter but its higher than that

V70 Graham
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 10:48
Maybe you were just very unlucky.

stribo
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 17:52
Spoke to Tim today, what a genuinely nice, and helpful bloke. We'll be taking the R to him to have it shimmed, which will hopefully sort the problem, if not then we'll be going down the 2.4 route.

I've never hit my limiter but its higher than that

Your car's been remapped though hasn't it Martyn? The limiter was probably raised when they did that.

graemewelch
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 17:56
Spoke to Tim today, what a genuinely nice, and helpful bloke. We'll be taking the R to him to have it shimmed, which will hopefully sort the problem, if not then we'll be going down the 2.4 route.

Your car's been remapped though hasn't it Martyn? The limiter was probably raised when they did that.

good to hear your taking to one of the best around. least you know itll be sorted on way or another.i just hope he can save your 2.5 lump. if not ill have to take the mick and call your car half a R half T5. hope dosnt hit your pocket to hard and you get it sorted very soon.

stribo
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 18:02
good to hear your taking to one of the best around. least you know itll be sorted on way or another.i just hope he can save your 2.5 lump. if not ill have to take the mick and call your car half a R half T5. hope dosnt hit your pocket to hard and you get it sorted very soon.

Nothing less than I'd expect hop along. ;)

S70T5Chris
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 18:06
Good news that Tim is sorting you out mate. Once you start using him, there'll be no turning back!

stribo
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 18:18
Good news that Tim is sorting you out mate. Once you start using him, there'll be no turning back!

Thanks for letting me have his number mate, I can see why you (and others) rate him so highly now.

T5frankie
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 19:05
Thanks for letting me have his number mate, I can see why you (and others) rate him so highly now.

ive always said he was the best..............:uglyhamme

V70 Graham
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 19:34
ive always said he was the best..............:uglyhamme

Thought YOU were the best !

T5frankie
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 19:36
Thought YOU were the best !

at breaking engines not fixing them

Dream3r
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 21:49
The MT R limiter is 6500rpm.

But, there are two a hard and soft limit, it's NMAX plus 250rpm so I can see why they thought 6250rpm.

That makes your limiter 6950 rpm.

graemewelch
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 22:08
hows the 20g research going. i was reading a project thread the other day of one fitted to a s60r. im heading up your way one day next week. going for a look around newton hall. that anywear near you

Dream3r
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 22:21
Going ok, think youll be within 30 miles mate. Welcome for a cuppa if I'm not working.

graemewelch
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 22:26
30 mile south or north, think ill be ready for beer never mind cuppa. wedding venue viewing. sounds like wont be much fun for me

Harvey
Wednesday 7th August 2013, 22:27
So when is the head coming off to see what gone on,I do hope it's just a head gasket if your are lucky.

Dream3r
Thursday 8th August 2013, 08:13
30 mile south or north, think ill be ready for beer never mind cuppa. wedding venue viewing. sounds like wont be much fun for me

lol, north mate, prob 40 min drive on the A1.

Sharkey R
Thursday 8th August 2013, 08:44
Mate I've just seen this thread! I'm so sorry to hear that. Got my fingers tightly crossed that it can be saved!

Dream3r
Thursday 8th August 2013, 09:12
Indeed, if it makes you feel better, Tim has been to the ring and back and multiple track days with a block that had been fixed this way by him. That block lasted, I think, until he blew it overboosting to 2.6 bar in his 850.

MoleT-5R
Thursday 8th August 2013, 09:13
sorry to hear of your troubles, hopefully it is just the head gasket, but shimming the block whilst the head is off, regardless of whether it has cracked a liner or not will be worth it in the long run, for the longevity of the block and if not just for the peace of mind, good luck with the repairs

graemewelch
Wednesday 14th August 2013, 22:44
how you getting on with getting the R sorted

stribo
Tuesday 27th August 2013, 10:31
Quick update, I've been unable to get in contact with Tim to arrange a date to get the car up to him, but have been having my doubts it's the liners, as the car's usedf no water since it was diagnosed. I thought I do some of my own investigative work, so took the car in for a sniff test today, and it's come back clear. :D This leads me to think it's the water pump, and has been all along. When I got the car home it was nearly in the red on the temp guage, the top rad hose was really hot (unsurprisingly), but the bottom hose was stone cold. This would point to either water pump, or a blocked rad. I'm assuming as the problem emerged all of a sudden the water pump's gone.

M-R-P
Tuesday 27th August 2013, 10:33
Interesting...

Have you done a compression test at all?

It'll be pretty bloody handy if it's just the pump... providing nothing's been cooked in the meantime.

stribo
Tuesday 27th August 2013, 10:37
Haven't done a compression test, but the sniff test told me what I kind of knew already, as they drink water when they split liners, and ours hasn't used a drop, also the fact the top rad hose is hot and the bottom one is stone cold points to a cooling problem.

Dream3r
Tuesday 27th August 2013, 10:48
Thermostat? Water pumps normally leak when knacked?

V70 Graham
Tuesday 27th August 2013, 10:49
Glad to hear it could be just the pump mate, will you get to try a new one before TRAX ?

V70 Graham
Tuesday 27th August 2013, 10:50

I think he suspected the thermostat first of all, he's had a new one fitted iirc

stribo
Tuesday 27th August 2013, 10:57

It's had a new thermostat, after it was fitted the mechanic said it was liners. The top hose gets hot, so the thermostat's opening, but I'm guessing the water isn't getting pumped round it.

stribo
Tuesday 27th August 2013, 10:57
Glad to hear it could be just the pump mate, will you get to try a new one before TRAX ?

Oh yes, hopefully ready for Trax.

oblark
Tuesday 27th August 2013, 12:09
Quick update, I've been unable to get in contact with Tim to arrange a date to get the car up to him, but have been having my doubts it's the liners, as the car's usedf no water since it was diagnosed. I thought I do some of my own investigative work, so took the car in for a sniff test today, and it's come back clear. :D This leads me to think it's the water pump, and has been all along. When I got the car home it was nearly in the red on the temp guage, the top rad hose was really hot (unsurprisingly), but the bottom hose was stone cold. This would point to either water pump, or a blocked rad. I'm assuming as the problem emerged all of a sudden the water pump's gone.

Didn`t I say at the last southern meet it was the water pump !!!!!!!!

stribo
Tuesday 27th August 2013, 12:20
Didn`t I say at the last southern meet it was the water pump !!!!!!!!
You did mate, which is why I got the sniff test done, to rule out the liners.:D

graemewelch
Tuesday 27th August 2013, 13:03
id also do a compression test if was you.

stribo
Tuesday 27th August 2013, 13:12
id also do a compression test if was you.

To what end?

M-R-P
Tuesday 27th August 2013, 13:15
Just because the sniffer came up negative and there's no loss of water, doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a cracked liner and for the effort involved in a compression test, wouldn't it be worth it to gauge the health of the engine?

Dream3r
Tuesday 27th August 2013, 13:18
Or get a scope down it and look for the tell tale carbon build up at the top of the cylinder...

That's how most garages confirm.

stribo
Tuesday 27th August 2013, 13:23
It's going into a different Volvo specialist in Basingstoke this afternoon, for some investigative work, and hopefully a new water pump, and 3rd cambelt in 18 months.

V70 Graham
Tuesday 27th August 2013, 13:35
It's going into a different Volvo specialist in Basingstoke this afternoon, for some investigative work, and hopefully a new water pump, and 3rd cambelt in 18 months.

Keep us informed mate, I've got my fingers crossed its just the pump.

stribo
Thursday 29th August 2013, 18:51
Heard back from the garage today, engine checks out O.K, but the plastic impeller on the water pump has broken up, so a new water pump is being fitted tomorrow, and the car will be back to full health. :D

merc85
Thursday 29th August 2013, 18:54
Heard back from the garage today, engine checks out O.K, but the plastic impeller on the water pump has broken up, so a new water pump is being fitted tomorrow, and the car will be back to full health. :D

Congrats on the good news mate :)

V70 Graham
Thursday 29th August 2013, 19:03
Like I said earlier mate, I'm really pleased that you've gotten away with a water pump and timing belt.....two cars at TRAX now !

p fandango
Thursday 29th August 2013, 19:06
i thought you could get a water pump with a metal blade?

merc85
Thursday 29th August 2013, 19:22
i thought you could get a water pump with a metal blade?

Id had thought you could

stribo
Thursday 29th August 2013, 19:24
I made a bit of an error with this water pump, an bought a cheap one off eBay, just after we'd bought the car. Lesson learnt the hard way. lol

stribo
Thursday 29th August 2013, 19:26
Like I said earlier mate, I'm really pleased that you've gotten away with a water pump and timing belt.....two cars at TRAX now !

Yep, see you at Cherwell, in just over a week. :D

p fandango
Thursday 29th August 2013, 19:30
Id had thought you could

I made a bit of an error with this water pump, an bought a cheap one off eBay, just after we'd bought the car. Lesson learnt the hard way. lol
this one looks metal, so hopefully it was just the ebay one that was plastic & the Volvo one will be stronger

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/pedro-fandango/Volvo/diagrams%20-%20info/engines%20components/407945_2689250625229_1075359599_32803382_136731081 0_n.jpg

V70 Graham
Thursday 29th August 2013, 19:55
Yep, see you at Cherwell, in just over a week. :D

That reminds me.....I'd better be leaving soon lol

oblark
Thursday 29th August 2013, 20:03

Didnt I say the pump impeller could have come off !!!

stribo
Thursday 29th August 2013, 20:16
Didnt I say the pump impeller could have come off !!!

Technically it didn't come off, it broke up. ;) But yes it was what you said that made me think about the water pump, and get the sniff test done. Cheers Rob. :B_thumb:

graemewelch
Thursday 29th August 2013, 22:36
glad its turned out to be a cheap fix for you.

iancho
Friday 30th August 2013, 04:53
What a relief Steve I'm really pleased for you and I did admire how you handled the whole situation from start to finish, I would of been close to tears!

Will be great to see both your cars at TRAX and to catch up again (and share secrets) ;)

M-R-P
Friday 30th August 2013, 06:35
Technically it didn't come off, it broke up. ;) But yes it was what you said that made me think about the water pump, and get the sniff test done. Cheers Rob. :B_thumb:

So if the pump broke up, where's the bits gone? Hopefully, they'll all come out when the coolant is flushed and not get stuck in the thermostat or heater matrix.

stribo
Friday 30th August 2013, 07:07
So if the pump broke up, where's the bits gone? Hopefully, they'll all come out when the coolant is flushed and not get stuck in the thermostat or heater matrix.
I haven't seen it yet, so don't know if it broke into big bits or little bits. I'm sure the garage won't leave them floating around the engine.