PDA

View Full Version : 940 problem, dropping off boost?

wiganer31
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 03:18
hi started haveing a few little issues with my b230fk 940 over the last few days, im terrible at describing things like this but will have a go.
firstly the car has been decated and silencer removed, cone filter and mbc (plus gauge), its running 12 psi, was running 10 to start with then moved up to 12psi and its been like that and running fine for weeks but the last few days the its been playing up, if you put your foot down in first it goes to 12psi but dosent stay there and drops to about 8psi straight away, similar in 2nd, in 3rd or 4th the gauge show's slightly more than 12/13psi, also tonight i put my foot down and the car went then there was a sorta not a bang but like a bad judder and a bump and the power died off and slowed the car down to the poing it threw me forwards and i had to let off and then get back on the revs, it did that in first or second but also did it a few days ago on the motorway in 3rd or 4th, anyone any ideas? ive been thinkind alsorts but i have no idea what det and ping is like.

before doing the exhaust and mbc its had new plugs and oil/water change and filter, there is slight play in the turbo and it smokes abit but seem's to run ok, i cannot find any boost leaks so im stuck now. ive tryed to do things proper ie servicing the car before doing anything but now haveing this problem, it seems to still run ok apart from what i say but have i done any damage to my engine?

cheers

smithy
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 09:52
Turn the boost down to 10 psi again and see what happens .also check for splits in the boost pipes and icv pipe too.normally when you decat and put an exhaust on the car produces more boost .put the boost pipe straight to manifold better reading mate because its sounds like you hit boost cut/ fuel cut.

wiganer31
Tuesday 6th August 2013, 13:52
cheers smity, im going to try and have a look later, will turn the mbc back abit and see how it is.

cheers

wiganer31
Sunday 11th August 2013, 02:07
not had much chance to look at the car, pretty sure its fule cut so turned boost down, but the emissions light has now come on, any ideas anyone?

cheers

smithy
Sunday 11th August 2013, 09:35
not had much chance to look at the car, pretty sure its fule cut so turned boost down, but the emissions light has now come on, any ideas anyone?

cheers
Disconnect the battery leave for an hr and reconnect it normally resets its self mate.is the car running alright now

wiganer31
Sunday 11th August 2013, 20:15
will try it mate, seems to be ok abpar from getting abit hot but need to change the stat and flush the cooling system, also smells abit of oil/fule but will sort things out

wiganer31
Wednesday 14th August 2013, 03:17
ok so going to do a few bits to the volvo to get it running mint, one thing i want to change is the dizzy cap and rotor arm, what make shall i go for or is it bosh all the way? im on a buget atm so were can i get one as cheap as possible?

cheers

smithy
Wednesday 14th August 2013, 06:28
Gsf mate

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 14th August 2013, 10:06
GSF have gone expensive (as well as Eurocarparts) try www.carparts4less.co.uk its basically eurocarparts but web prices instead of inflated prices

wiganer31
Saturday 17th August 2013, 23:45
will hve a look about. dammm see what you mean about about euro car parts prices.

how do i get around the fuel cut? i thought you could run 12psi no problem?

cheers

smithy
Sunday 18th August 2013, 00:12
will hve a look about. dammm see what you mean about about euro car parts prices.

how do i get around the fuel cut? i thought you could run 12psi no problem?

cheers

You normally can get around 10 to 12 psi .you have 2 options chip it or fit a 3in maf with bigger injectors .

wiganer31
Sunday 18th August 2013, 00:59
You normally can get around 10 to 12 psi .you have 2 options chip it or fit a 3in maf with bigger injectors .

if i chip it will that sort the fuleing out for when i put a bigger turbo on or would i have to put bigger injectors on aswell? whats the best option? im going to look into chips, need to find out which are best, were o people order them from? i hear theres a guy on turbo bricks if anyones used him?

cheers

smithy
Sunday 18th August 2013, 09:19
if i chip it will that sort the fuleing out for when i put a bigger turbo on or would i have to put bigger injectors on aswell? whats the best option? im going to look into chips, need to find out which are best, were o people order them from? i hear theres a guy on turbo bricks if anyones used him?

cheers
The guy on tbricks is the one you want .tloa chips and yes if you going bigger turbo then bigger maf and bigger injectors .3in maf and Vxr injectors with no chips will do you fine .vxr470 injectors are 470cc and me7 injectors are 397cc at 3.8 bar but if you put a 4 bar fpr in the fuel rail then they will run happy at 420cc.these are high resistor injectors so you have to do the resistor mod witch is very easy to do and the car gets better mpg too.

wiganer31
Sunday 18th August 2013, 15:05
will get intouch with him then. i do plan on going for a bigger turbo but might be a while yet so would it be ok to get a set of chips for now to get the best out the car as it is? and then when i go for a bigger turbo do the 3"maf and bigger injectors as well as the chips that will already be in?
hmm might have to look into the resistor mod for those injectors, do you need to mod the vxr 470 ones or just the me7?

i swore i wasnt going to do much to this car but thats starting to look unlikely lol

smithy
Sunday 18th August 2013, 16:15
will get intouch with him then. i do plan on going for a bigger turbo but might be a while yet so would it be ok to get a set of chips for now to get the best out the car as it is? and then when i go for a bigger turbo do the 3"maf and bigger injectors as well as the chips that will already be in?
hmm might have to look into the resistor mod for those injectors, do you need to mod the vxr 470 ones or just the me7?

i swore i wasnt going to do much to this car but thats starting to look unlikely lol

They are both high res injectors and yes you can run the chips as is mate .what exhaust are you running and filter etc

wiganer31
Sunday 18th August 2013, 18:37
will the chips work with the bigger injectors and bigger maf when i put them on or would the chips have to be removed?
currently running standard down pipe with a 2.5" de cat to the over axle bend with standard back box, when i change the turbo im thinking of making a 3" down pipe, and haveing the rest of the system as 2.5" because i already had the pipe from another project? got a cheap cone filter on atm what someone gave me, either gonna get a decent cone filter or get a panel filter in the standard airbox with the air mod

smithy
Sunday 18th August 2013, 19:25
will the chips work with the bigger injectors and bigger maf when i put them on or would the chips have to be removed?
currently running standard down pipe with a 2.5" de cat to the over axle bend with standard back box, when i change the turbo im thinking of making a 3" down pipe, and haveing the rest of the system as 2.5" because i already had the pipe from another project? got a cheap cone filter on atm what someone gave me, either gonna get a decent cone filter or get a panel filter in the standard airbox with the air mod
The standard back box is rubbish mate best stick a straight threw box and that will help it breath too .chips will run on bigger maf and injectors no probs .

wiganer31
Monday 19th August 2013, 01:53
The standard back box is rubbish mate best stick a straight threw box and that will help it breath too .chips will run on bigger maf and injectors no probs .

yea and not sure there is much inside my backbox now lol, i think i will pay out for a decent backbox because i dont want it stupidly loud.
sweet sounds good cheers for your help mate, gonna rite the guy on tb a pm now and see what he suggests chip wise

wiganer31
Tuesday 20th August 2013, 19:12
im going to order a set of chips for my 940, my ezk box is black and i heard they wasnt chippable but tloa says some of them are but its hit and miss, so just abit confused, could someone confirm it? if its not chippable i do have the sliver/gold one on my 360 that i could steal, would it just swap over and work ok? and would i need the ecu off my 360 aswell? has anyone ordered off tloa? is he ok with posting to the uk?

cheers

smithy
Tuesday 20th August 2013, 20:58
im going to order a set of chips for my 940, my ezk box is black and i heard they wasnt chippable but tloa says some of them are but its hit and miss, so just abit confused, could someone confirm it? if its not chippable i do have the sliver/gold one on my 360 that i could steal, would it just swap over and work ok? and would i need the ecu off my 360 aswell? has anyone ordered off tloa? is he ok with posting to the uk?

cheers
The black is not chipable mate you have to get a gold ezk unit of the sport edition and some other models from n reg models

wiganer31
Wednesday 21st August 2013, 03:02
The black is not chipable mate you have to get a gold ezk unit of the sport edition and some other models from n reg models

i thought so but he claims some of them are and that the only way to tell is to open it up, so that confused me. like i say i have a 360 thats got a this engine conversion and has the gold ezk i know because i built it, the engine came out of a n reg 940, so can i just take that ezk out and put it in my 940? im pretty much done with the 360 now anyways as ive had enough of all the work with it as its just a track car. sorry for all the questions, i just want to make sure i order the correct chips for my car while there comeing from so far, wouldnt want to have to send them back, cheers for your help smithy

smithy
Wednesday 21st August 2013, 04:39
Ask as many questions as you like mate this forum is there to help as much as we can .

wiganer31
Thursday 22nd August 2013, 00:21
cheers mate, i think i got most of the info i need apart from if the ezc off the 360 will work on my 940, untill it comes to fitting the chips anyways lol. the 360 is the same lump and management and both b230fk so the ezk should just swap over shouldnt it?

cheers

smithy
Thursday 22nd August 2013, 01:42
cheers mate, i think i got most of the info i need apart from if the ezc off the 360 will work on my 940, untill it comes to fitting the chips anyways lol. the 360 is the same lump and management and both b230fk so the ezk should just swap over shouldnt it?

cheers

I think the numbers are 219 manual 217 auto ezk unit .these are the gold chippable boxs mate .

wiganer31
Friday 23rd August 2013, 01:40
a little somthing like this?
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af211/wiganer31/my%20360/IMG_00000225_zpsc68de1e8.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/wiganer31/media/my%20360/IMG_00000225_zpsc68de1e8.jpg.html)

took it out my other volvo today, can i just swap the ezk over or do i need to swap the ecu over aswell,
just to confirm, the ecu's in the pic are chippable yea?
what rev limiter should i go for? im thinking just go for 7k? are the maps all the same appart from the rev limit? just tell tloa what engine and management it is and he will know what i need?

cheers

smithy
Friday 23rd August 2013, 02:51
a little somthing like this?
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af211/wiganer31/my%20360/IMG_00000225_zpsc68de1e8.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/wiganer31/media/my%20360/IMG_00000225_zpsc68de1e8.jpg.html)

took it out my other volvo today, can i just swap the ezk over or do i need to swap the ecu over aswell,
just to confirm, the ecu's in the pic are chippable yea?
what rev limiter should i go for? im thinking just go for 7k? are the maps all the same appart from the rev limit? just tell tloa what engine and management it is and he will know what i need?

cheers

All the ecus are chippable mate just fit the ezk unit and then chip both ezk and Ecu .i would go for higher rev limit chips for future mods .

wiganer31
Friday 23rd August 2013, 12:43
sweet, sorted then, yea thats what i was thinking and why not go for the higher revs. the guys not got back to me after i asked about postage to the uk, anyone ordered off him over here?

smithy
Friday 23rd August 2013, 14:12
Yes I have ordered them before he is pretty good and sending chips mate .

wiganer31
Friday 23rd August 2013, 15:45
will fire him another pm then, are all the maps the same on his chips? well apart from the rev limeter, interested to see what there like on the car

smithy
Friday 23rd August 2013, 19:12
will fire him another pm then, are all the maps the same on his chips? well apart from the rev limeter, interested to see what there like on the car

The lh2.4 is a learning system but the chips have alot wider parameters than the standard chips .

wiganer31
Saturday 24th August 2013, 20:49
sweet, just pm'ed tloa about ordering a set of chips, then i can get the boost turned back up while i look into turbos

wiganer31
Sunday 25th August 2013, 03:42
ok so tloa sent me this:
There is one EZK chip that works in all chip able EZK boxes.

Fuel ECU chip wise I have a 56x 6500rpm chip and then for the 9xx ECU's (92+ turbo cars) I have 6500/6800/7000rpm chips to choose between:

what dose the 9xx mean? what e

smithy
Sunday 25th August 2013, 06:42
ok so tloa sent me this:
There is one EZK chip that works in all chip able EZK boxes.

Fuel ECU chip wise I have a 56x 6500rpm chip and then for the 9xx ECU's (92+ turbo cars) I have 6500/6800/7000rpm chips to choose between:

what dose the 9xx mean? what e

It's the prefix for the later Ecu and they have better circuitry and work faster than the early ones .

wiganer31
Sunday 25th August 2013, 18:46
It's the prefix for the later Ecu and they have better circuitry and work faster than the early ones .

ahh dont suppose you know what type mine is? what exactly am i asking for when i order off him for my car?
just dont want to order the wrong thing and have to mess about returning them with him being so far away

smithy
Sunday 25th August 2013, 19:25
You use the ezk gold box and you have the 9xx Ecu because yours is a later one .