PDA

View Full Version : Puff of smoke on start up??

mhill53
Saturday 3rd August 2013, 22:28
My R is now having a little puff of blue smoke on start up, not every time , I suspect stem seals, I've rebuilt the bottom end 5k ago, with new rings and forged rods.
The heads done 190k which us why I suspect the stem seals.

Just wondering if this is common??

merc85
Saturday 3rd August 2013, 22:29
sounds like stem seals, at 160k all mine had gone rock hard, had them all replaced when i ported the head

Tomcat
Saturday 3rd August 2013, 22:33
I spoke to a mechanic at the local indy recently about mine and he said he'd NEVER seen stem seals that needed replacing, it was always the turbo seals... Not disuputing anyone just telling you what he told me, I have no experience of stripping these engines down at all so you all know better than I do.

merc85
Saturday 3rd August 2013, 22:38
My enigne used to use minimal oil, and the oil used to get dirty, once i had the stem seals done, gone was the oil consumption and the oil stays nice and gold between changes, the stem seals are a right a** to get off

Tomcat
Saturday 3rd August 2013, 22:40
Mmm think I may invest in a replacement engine at some point to fiddle with...

t5 pete
Saturday 3rd August 2013, 22:50
One of three things- turbo seals, valve seals, or leaking ring/s before I rebuilt my engine I fitted a new turbo and it still smoked so that ruled out the turbo.
On stripping down the engine the valve seals didn't look too bad engine had done 145k I should have done a compression test but didn't as for the rings they looked fine but number 2 clyinder did have a little movement.
One thing tho if your did the bottom end why on earth didn't you do the head while it was off lol talk about going the long way around things

mhill53
Sunday 4th August 2013, 09:27
I should have rebuilt the head while it was off but all seemed well so I just concentrated on the bottom end.
I will get the head off next week and change the valve seals.

Cheers guys.