PDA

View Full Version : Auto Box.

C70T5auto
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 15:00
This could be a dull question... but..... having never owned an auto before, and not likeing the idea of all braking being done via the brakes (no downshifting of manual box to aid in braking.) Can you downshift the autobox to aid in braking, or in going down hill using the engine braking effect so that the brakes are not being ridden all the way down.

Any advice on this would be appricated.

fraz13
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 15:08
The basic answer is yes mate

The Auto box is safe so it wont allow second gear to be selected at 140mph for instance

Just watch being in "E" position and selecting L tho, you might get a wee fright when the car tries to propel you through the windscreen

C70T5auto
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 15:11
Thanks for that... our autobox doesn't have the 'E' position though

fraz13
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 15:14
Hmmm.... is it not switchable to S=Sport E=economic or W=winter??

Thats strange, well you shouldnt have that problem then lol

C70T5auto
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 15:18
No... we have a 'W' button at the rear of the selector. But thats it.

KARL
Thursday 27th October 2005, 16:26
I understand your box learns the way you drive ie = hard alot makes in turn into S mode

Normal driving turns it into the E= mode.

Also try and aviod using L to much , it dont like it. My V70 R AWD will only go

into L when in E mode below 35 mph , not at all in S mode !

Hope this helps in some way.

Cheers

jim.covers
Thursday 27th October 2005, 16:37
I understand your box learns the way you drive ie = hard alot makes in turn into S mode

Normal driving turns it into the E= mode.

Also try and aviod using L to much , it dont like it. My V70 R AWD will only go

into L when in E mode below 35 mph , not at all in S mode !

Hope this helps in some way.

Cheers

Tis true, these auto boxes learn the way u drive.

I use 3 quite often when on the twisty bits, steep hills etc etc, you can downshift np at all.

Straker
Thursday 27th October 2005, 16:49
Just as a matter of interest you should be doing the majority of the braking with the brakes. Using engine braking wears engines and transmissions out unnecessarily.

brake pads easy to replace, gearbox = hard.

just some advice....

jim.covers
Thursday 27th October 2005, 16:54
Deffo Straker, i use mine in say 3 when i'm out for a bit of fun on the moors, not so much for brakin but to keep the revs up a little round the twisty bits, i would only use it for slowing on steep hills cos in D it will happily go faster and ur forever pushing the brake pedal.

Straker
Thursday 27th October 2005, 17:06
Yep that's basically what I do as well, use the box when I want to go faster not slower though agree it's a pain going down hill as you are forever on the brakes. Still love those autos in traffic :)