PDA

View Full Version : pcv valve

graemewelch
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 17:04
what is it. what dose it do and what if you disconnect it. do you get a mill light.

M-R-P
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 17:08
If you mean the bit that connects the PCV pipes to the inlet - it's a heater unit (possibly to melt any frozen condensation when you start the car on a cold day?)
Mine lives in the bottom of my tool box as my new inlet pipe didn't have the port for it. I've had no warnings or lights so I'm happy it's not important :)

It may be different on the 2.4 ME8 engines tho.

p fandango
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 17:16
mines disconnected on the 850 as well, bin the heater element & run the pipe to a catch tank so you don't have to mess with it on the intake pipe

M-R-P
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 17:28
I just had a 12mm port on the intake to use, PCV pipe went straight on :)

graemewelch
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 18:19
so theres no reason why i cant remove the heater and put the hose directly onto the intake further up the pipe.

M-R-P
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 18:28
That's how mine's done. Dunno how yours will react but what's the worst that can happen?

graemewelch
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 18:40
That's how mine's done. Dunno how yours will react but what's the worst that can happen?

im still in two minds. wobbly dave used a groomet in his so thats a option i can look at so it stays the same as it did when left factory. slightly anal i know but it helps me sleep at night

Harvey
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 18:41
so theres no reason why i cant remove the heater and put the hose directly onto the intake further up the pipe.

The only thing that could happen is the engine /crankcase would be under a lot more vacuum from a 12mm hole re air flow to the stock 3-4 mm hole in the heater unit. Which would make all the engine seals work that bit harder.

Also volvo say the heater was fitted re icing problem I guess you could get a big bit of ice going into the turbo and it could do some damage I guess.

graemewelch
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 18:47
The only thing that could happen is the engine /crankcase would be under a lot more vacuum from a 12mm hole re air flow to the stock 3-4 mm hole in the heater unit. Which would make all the engine seals work that bit harder.

Also volvo say the heater was fitted re icing problem I guess you could get a big bit of ice going into the turbo and it could do some damage I guess.

im going to be anal and keep it as it should be. ill fit a round grommet and file it down so its round. just hope its a mods thats worth the effort