PDA

View Full Version : Another R to do list

dob
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 16:01
If anyone is interested in my little R project I am going to make this thread as a reminder to what I have done and to get a little input from you guys.
I have owned the R for a few months now and I have started to gather together some parts and mods as they have become available when I have had the cash.
so far I have purchased.....

Full stage ZERO service inc pcv breather (and probably timing belt, water pump and tensioners)
5 - 17" Comets in need of refurb for winter tyres
3" stainless decat down pipe (which I think I am going to fit a 3" 200 cell cat)
2 1/2" cat back stainless system
Sponges polly bush inserts (fitted next weekend I hope)
Volvo front strut brace (will fit when its in for a wheel alignment)
New wish bone bushes (fit next weekend I hope)
Polly top and bulkhead mounts (will fit in my lunch brake some day soon)
Headlight and grill upgrade (purchased but still to collect)
possible new front brakes required in the not too distant future for genuine Volvo discs and pads

I will update here when I do the jobs or when I find more to do.
Feel free to let me know what you think.
Cheers Dob

iancho
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 16:32
Sounds like a great project thread! I think we will all watch with interest as it grows... You have some really good Mod's to put on :smile:

dob
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 16:54
Thanks mate.
I am led to believe the car has a RICA 310 chip but not 100% but it is a lot quicker than my 855R was!
Apart from that totally standard.

iancho
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 17:21
What is it Manual or Auto?

See if your clip on your ECU box is broken about the RICA 310... Mine is not Broken but you can see where Volvo have unscrewed it :smile:

dob
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 17:52

See if your clip on your ECU box is broken about the RICA 310... Mine is not Broken but you can see where Volvo have unscrewed it :smile:

Someone has definitely been in the ECU box but is there any way I can tell if its RICA or just someone with a laptop and some software?

nottsgreent5
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 18:27
My old rica ecu had a proper rica sticker on it if thats any help

smithy
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 18:28
Someone has definitely been in the ECU box but is there any way I can tell if its RICA or just someone with a laptop and some software?

These Ecu are flashed mate and the 850 is soldered .

dob
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 19:26
These Ecu are flashed mate and the 850 is soldered .

Would this mean they reprogram the ecu rather than solder a new chip in?

I just nipped out for a wee look I cant see anything obvious on the ecu. no stickers that I can see.

dob
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 19:28

It is a manual front wheel drive with broken ECU box clips

T5frankie
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 19:44
Would this mean they reprogram the ecu rather than solder a new chip in?

I just nipped out for a wee look I cant see anything obvious on the ecu. no stickers that I can see.

all they do is replace the chip, you probably won't be able to tell by looking at it, best thing is to get a boost gauge on it 10psi standard 14-16psi mapped

dob
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 19:50
If anyone is interested in my little R project I am going to make this thread as a reminder to what I have done and to get a little input from you guys.
I have owned the R for a few months now and I have started to gather together some parts and mods as they have become available when I have had the cash.
so far I have purchased.....

Full stage ZERO service inc pcv breather (and probably timing belt, water pump and tensioners)
5 - 17" Comets in need of refurb for winter tyres
3" stainless decat down pipe (which I think I am going to fit a 3" 200 cell cat)
2 1/2" cat back stainless system
Sponges polly bush inserts (fitted next weekend I hope)
Volvo front strut brace (will fit when its in for a wheel alignment)
New wish bone bushes (fit next weekend I hope)
Polly top and bulkhead mounts (will fit in my lunch brake some day soon)
Headlight and grill upgrade (purchased but still to collect)
possible new front brakes required in the not too distant future for genuine Volvo discs and pads

I will update here when I do the jobs or when I find more to do.
Feel free to let me know what you think.
Cheers Dob

Boost gauge and pod

Biff
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 20:03
All these things have been done or are getting done on mine. If your stunner needs them too I don't feel as bad now. Lol
Good luck with the project mate.

Tomcat
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 20:27
Whip the ecu out, if it's one of Hamish's he'll probably have written on it, if it's not it'll have a sticker on it.

dob
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 20:35
Whip the ecu out, if it's one of Hamish's he'll probably have written on it, if it's not it'll have a sticker on it.

I will pull it out sometime and have a look.
Cheers

dob
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 20:37
All these things have been done or are getting done on mine. If your stunner needs them too I don't feel as bad now. Lol
Good luck with the project mate.

There is a fine line between what needs done and what I want to do.
If we are not careful it easily can become a money pit addiction lol

dob
Wednesday 31st July 2013, 09:25

I have the ECU in my hand now.
There is no sticker or nothing written on the outside of the unit.

If I take the cover off will I be able to tell if someone has "modified" it???
Cheers Dob

Biff
Wednesday 31st July 2013, 10:14
There is a fine line between what needs done and what I want to do.
If we are not careful it easily can become a money pit addiction lol

Mine became a money pit the minute it landed in wales mate.
Hoping to have a good useable all rounder at the end of it though. Lol

dob
Wednesday 31st July 2013, 10:29
to be honest apart from the wishbone bushes there is nothing wrong with it now. its a good all rounder now but I will always want to do something more to the old girl lol

dob
Saturday 3rd August 2013, 21:51
Hi today I fitted my poly top mount and bulkhead mount bushes, also fitted my sub frame bush inserts and what a difference it has made to the handling.
I also had a unsuccessful attempt at fitting my 3" down pipe but the bend on it was too large a radius and I could not get it in as it was hitting the bulkhead so I butchered it and fitted the original and a custom decat pipe with stainless cat back 2 1/2" so now all I need is a 3" dp with tight radius bend and I will me happy with the exhaust. No rattles so far but I can hear a puff from a join. Not to worry.
Its not too much louder than stock at low revs but gives a great growl when you give it the beans

Getting the wishbone bushes done on Tuesday and I still need to track down a 21.5mm or bigger anti roll bar and bush kit as my bushes look like they are on there way out.
Cheers Dob