PDA

View Full Version : T5 Burning Oil

TeeFive
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 14:09
Hi -

our 850 T5 estate had a new Turbo fitted about 6 months ago. The Turbo was supplied by Turbo Dynamics and fitted by a local mechanic. All was well for a while, but black smoke has started appearing from the exhaust again.

It seems to happen particularly just after a burst of rapid acceleration (not during it). The car doesn't seem to lack power/acceleration - just has lots of smoke coming out of the exhaust at certain times.

I noticed that a small, clear plastic, breather pipe had come-off at one end where it pushes onto a thin, black plastic pipe (about 4mm diameter) close to the turbo. I reconnected this pipe, but it does not seem to have fixed the problem.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Nick

Wobbly Dave
Monday 24th October 2005, 00:21
:welcome:

What turbo have you got fitted?

Would be helpful if you have a picy?

fireclown
Monday 24th October 2005, 00:24
hi is it black or blue smoke

TeeFive
Monday 24th October 2005, 11:15
Hi -

its a Mitsubishi turbo. I was told by Turbo Dynamics who supplied it that this is identical the one used by Volvo themselves.

As to the smoke colour, its hard to say, but I would say black but I'll take a closer look to make 100% sure. Will also try to get a photo.

Cheers,
Nick

Wobbly Dave
Monday 24th October 2005, 11:21
Is the work still under warranty?

TeeFive
Monday 24th October 2005, 13:09
Hi -

some pictures of the turbo and breather pipes:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/optimisa/

The plastic breather which had come adrift (now re-attached) shows up brown in the first pic. It had come off on the left hand side. On its right-hand side it does a U-turn (hard to see) back onto another breather.

Not really sure about whether the work is under a warranty. The mechanic who did the job has been back to have a look at it but can't diagnose the problem. He's a good guy but genuinely doesn't know exactly what is wrong.

Nick

Wobbly Dave
Monday 24th October 2005, 14:44
I suspect you might have a blocked breather.

FYI, If that pipe comes undone then you will usually get diagnostic codes relating to long term fuel trim.

Usually the pipe is a hard thin plastic one of narrow diameter encased in foam like pipe insulation. it is usually attached to the junction with a rubber elbow.
The other end of the pipe attaches to a junction on the nearside end of inlet manifold - close to the tstat housing. This has a rubber elbow and is quite commonly known for splitting and causing overfueling issues.
You could undo the manifold end and make sure that the tube is not blocked. I would personal get some vac hose and run a new length under the fuel rail and join it to the junction near the turbo. Use spring jubilee clips or small cable ties to ensure it doesnt come off - at least then you can be sure that you have a clean breather and it saves a lot of fannying around.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 24th October 2005, 14:46
I would also check and clean the plug that controls the valve in that junction?

TeeFive
Monday 24th October 2005, 18:39
Thanks for the advice - much appreciated!

From what you say, it sounds like a section of the hard, black, plastic tubing had already been replaced at some point in the past - it looks like the foam covering has been cut back and a 4" section replaced where it joins the union on the rubber pipe near the turbo.

It does sound like its worth replacing the whole breather pipe. It looks like a bugger to get to the connection furthest from the Turbo end, though. Any idea where I can get the vacuum tubing from?

Thanks again for the help.

Great forum, BTW!! :)

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 25th October 2005, 00:44
any motor factors shop should be able to supply. You can buy trendy stuff with Volvo down the side from the dealership - but it'll cost a bit. Have you found the elbow end on the manifold? If not I will take some piccys!

This forum is pretty cool. I was hoping that some of the other miscreants would bob in and say hello? I have moved this thread - maybe you'd like to say ello?

glock19
Tuesday 25th October 2005, 12:48
Hello ..... :D

TeeFive
Tuesday 25th October 2005, 20:38
Thanks for the help and hellos!

Today, on an 80mile trip - no sign of any smoke at all on the outward journey.

Then, on the return leg clouds of blue-ish (according to the wife) smoke a few seconds after some heavy acceleration (not during). Pulled over a short while later to check the breather had not come loose again - but it hadn't.

Tried to repeat the James Bond-style smoke screen by accelerating H-A-R-D
several times, but it steadfastedly refused to do it again - no sign of any smoke at all!!

I still plan to replace the breather as suggested as this seems the most likely culprit.

Cheers.

TeeFive
Sunday 4th December 2005, 15:12
Hi -

just thought I'd add a quick update to say that the oil burning problem has been resolved. It seems that the breathers were the problem after all. The work was done by a very good local mechanic.

He contacted Volvo to get the new breather pipes and was told that they were no longer required! There may have been some other mods required as well but I don't know the details. But, bascially, the breathers have been removed altogether. No doubt Volvo can advise if you're in a similar situation.

Anyway, its quite a relief that the car is back to normal - and that there seems to be nothing wrong with the turbo.

Cheers,

Wobbly Dave
Monday 5th December 2005, 00:41
Glad to hear you got it sorted.