PDA

View Full Version : Black 850 TDi in Cumbria

MattB
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 11:53
Hello All,

I have been looking at a black 850 TDi on eBay (link below).

850 TDi link (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4584428081&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT)

Although the car looks like a good example of the particular model, I have my doubts for the following reasons:

The car was advertised last week by the same guy. The auction ended with the only one bidder to place a bid winning. The guy left the seller good feedback, but 24hrs later the car is up for auction again. (with out wishing to offend - possibly a dummy account used to push up the bids for the item, ensuring it goes for a reasonable price?)
The advert does not offer much information at all.
The guys feedback isn't that good.
The car is in Cumbria, which is a long walk to take a look and test drive etc.

I have emailed the 'winning bidder' to ask if he can offer any information on the car and why its now being auctioned again.

With all the above in mind, its probably best to steer clear, failing that - ask a lot of questions. However at the end of the day, if it is a good deal - Cumbria is 6+ hours from sunny Bournemouth!

Is the seller a member of the forum by any chance?
If so, I do not wish to offend them with my suspicions, just simply being cautious and looking at the whole picture!

Also, does anyone know what these cars are like to drive compared to others?

Not sure what to do here people - I would gladly appreciate your oppinions!
I will of course get the vehicle history report as a matter of course, but wanted to know what the forum thought first.

Thanks in advance...

weasel
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 16:19
is the non buyer that dropped out contactable through the feedback info? perhaps there's a legit reason for them not buying? explain the distance you'll have to travel just for a look and you might get lucky.

Andrew
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 16:30
The sellers feedback is 0 - 50% positive 50% negative - Click on the 0 and read some of the comments... I'd stay well clear looks like a bit of a cowboy.

Andrew
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 16:32
The sellers feedback is 0 - 50% positive 50% negative - Click on the 0 and read some of the comments... I'd stay well clear looks like a bit of a cowboy.

The other thing is if you look at his past auctions they have all been cars. I suspect this guy is dealing out of his house. Buy a car shove sawdust in the engine and sell on :D

Obviously not a true owner you won't know what the background is.

MattB
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 18:08
Thanks for your responses so far guys.
I emailed the 'winning bidder' last night and so far no reply.

My thoughts are similar to yours Andrew, I think I'll give it a wide birth. The search for a decent TDi continues...

weasel
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 20:38
it'll cost to get from bournemouth to cumbria and back..... if you really wanted it you could get an independent inspection/background check: aa, rac, etc? it's a nice little test of the trader oops seller too. does look a bit dodgy though.

deerworrier
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 21:48
i stick to 1 rule on ebay...if i am atall unsure leave it, no matter how good a deal. the fact is that next week there will be another one from a spot on seller, the lack of info and mobile contact for further details smacks of home dealer.

MattB
Monday 24th October 2005, 19:43
is the non buyer that dropped out contactable through the feedback info? perhaps there's a legit reason for them not buying? explain the distance you'll have to travel just for a look and you might get lucky.

I've just had this email from the 'winning bidder'....

Hello Matt,

Went to buy this car and met with the seller was quite willing to sell me the car for the price won at auction. However he told me he had other people interested in the car and I had got it at a price he usually would not have accepted but that he had been away on holiday and not monitered ebay. In short I purchased the Car for £1500 and sold it back to him for £1600 = £100 Profit, an absolute dream transaction money for nothing. (By the way the car was in Good Cond. and I would by again especially at £1500!! Hope this helps.

Genuine?
'Over a barrel' with the fear of negative feedback from the seller???
Hmmmm....

Andrew
Monday 24th October 2005, 19:56
*cough cough* bull££££ *cough*

Just check the feedback - it speaks volumes....

MattB
Monday 24th October 2005, 20:06
*cough cough* bull££££ *cough*

Just check the feedback - it speaks volumes....

My thoughts entirely - never mind, back to the drawing board.....

deerworrier
Monday 24th October 2005, 22:26
i stick to 1 rule on ebay...if i am atall unsure leave it, no matter how good a deal. the fact is that next week there will be another one from a spot on seller, the lack of info and mobile contact for further details smacks of home dealer.

i've said it once, very wide berth :nono:

weasel
Tuesday 25th October 2005, 01:26
if the buyer was so happy first time around, how come he/she hasn't just brought it back again then?