PDA

View Full Version : Ex Plod V70 Brakes

expolicev70t5
Friday 26th July 2013, 09:19
Hi, I don't know if any one can help, I have an Ex Police V70 T5 which is an 05 reg, it has the brake calipers from the XC90, I recently had the pads changed by the local garage as the old ones were past there best having covered almost 50k miles, I got the car back from the garage and all seemed fine for about 100 miles then the flat spring on the outside of the caliper poped out and jamed in the wheel scrapping all the back of the alloy, I put the spring back in then a day later it shed the spring again this time into a field. I went to a breakers and got a replacement spring and noted that on the XC90 the brake pads have a metal tab on the back that the caliper spring sits into, having looked at the pads the garage have installed on my V70 there is no tab on the back of the pads that have been installed for the spring to seat into. I am now left wondering if the garage have put the wrong pads in??
Problem being I didnt take note of the old ones prior to it going to the garage to see if the the sping had been seated into a clip.
I have attached a photo of the flat spring with large flat tab, if you look you can see the small tab against the caliper that on the XC90 sits into the retaining clip.
Can anyone shed any light on this matter for me as I put new spring in this morning and by time I got to work 20 miles away the spring again was half hanging out.
Thanks in advance.

M-R-P
Friday 26th July 2013, 09:34
I remember answering this on T5D5 - they're either the wrong pads or they're the wrong way round. Best take it back to the garage that did the work and get them to redo it mate. They've left your car with a possible safety issue.

graemewelch
Friday 26th July 2013, 09:48
def wrong way around.

M-R-P
Friday 26th July 2013, 09:53
Get them to fit new springs FOC as they're responsible for the damage to your old ones.

expolicev70t5
Friday 26th July 2013, 10:10
Have been back in touch with garage and car now booked in for sorting, bit concerned about price though pads installed were £57 garage said others they had price for were £147 (Gulp)

silverhorse
Friday 26th July 2013, 10:12
I have done exactly the same thing mate. Luckily for me, I heard the metallic ping of the retainer coming loose as I went down my drive at 5mph so no harm done.
You have got the wrong pads in there mate. The ones you need have an extra little clip seat that those retainers clip around and secure everything in place.

Easy mistake to make, as even the factors that I got the pads from was quoting the correct part number even though they were wrong. Get them from parts for volvo online, Jamie will sort you out. I should have gone there first!

silverhorse
Friday 26th July 2013, 10:15
Have been back in touch with garage and car now booked in for sorting, bit concerned about price though pads installed were £57 garage said others they had price for were £147 (Gulp)

Be careful. £147!!!???:nono:
Even genuine Volvo ones are cheaper.

M-R-P
Friday 26th July 2013, 10:16
Take the wheel off mate. Removing the caliper is as simple as removing 2 bolts and twist to retract the pads enough to lift the caliper off the stub axle. Then check that the inside pad has the clip or not. If not, check the other side has the clips on both pads (this would mean they've put both outer pads on one side and both inner pads on the other). If you find that the pads have been fitted incorrectly, ask for new pads and springs FOC as they've been fitted incorrectly by the garage and they can go whistle for any more money.