PDA

View Full Version : rear wiper motor gone?

neil298
Sunday 21st July 2013, 18:47
Since I bought my 53 plate T5 V70 the rear wiper has barely worked,it was OK off the screen but as soon as you put it down it struggled.now it just whirrs and will not move,is it worth taking it off and trying to fix it or should I put out a call for a 2nd hand one?

silverhorse
Monday 22nd July 2013, 01:25
Its a simple fix. There is a how to guide on here.
This was the first job I did after purchasing my V70.
It is a common fault and worth doing yourself.

LeeT5
Monday 22nd July 2013, 01:39
I agree, easy fix!

volvokid
Monday 22nd July 2013, 07:31
Never knew there was a simple fix for this. I bought another one. I know al did a how to because the wiring goes pete tong but in this guys case its the motor itself. Wouldn't mind reading the guide for repairing the motor.

LeeT5
Monday 22nd July 2013, 13:35
Never knew there was a simple fix for this. I bought another one. I know al did a how to because the wiring goes pete tong but in this guys case its the motor itself. Wouldn't mind reading the guide for repairing the motor.

it's not the motor that seizes up Martyn, its the aluminium housing that the rear wiper shaft goes through. It corrodes and seizes up. I had my 850 do it and my P1 lazer do it. So far so good on my P2.

if you dont get the problem fixed it eventually burns the motor out.

M-R-P
Monday 22nd July 2013, 13:47
Mine did it but it was water getting into the motor housing and cooking the commutator. The brushes turned to powder and although I put new brushes in and cleaned the commutator surface, the small PCB in for the motor had blown a component to boot.

I stuck a 2002 tailgate on and had no problems at all (it's a different part to the 2003 wiper).

danny-R
Monday 22nd July 2013, 13:48
Is there a link how to do this? Might have a go at mine when I get home.
Cheers

larryj
Tuesday 30th July 2013, 00:39
When I had a problem with mine, the idiot who was paid to work out the problem said the motor needed replacing. I took the motor out, cleaned the commutator, brushes and insides.
It has worked perfectly ever since--took me a couple of hours, though.