PDA

View Full Version : just brought w reg s40 t4 b4194t2 help needed

23redblock
Saturday 20th July 2013, 17:38
hi guys

my mate just brought a t4 as in title just wanted a few questions answered if any one can help ?

first of there is a slight problem starting at first wen cold it takes about 3-4 seconds to start but once warmed up its fine? it also feels a bit hesitant at around 3 thousand rpm nothing bad but just woundering if there are any common faults that can cause this?

also the car has been mapped at sumpoint i think as there is a dyno printout for it with 223hp at the wheels.

with all that aside all is well will be given it a full service asap.

my next question is how do i get more hp out of it? im looking to get around the 300 ish hp mark whatever the best bang for the buck is with out spending to much money e.g 500-1k

anyhelp will be much appreicated

cheers guys

smithy
Saturday 20th July 2013, 18:32
The main obstacle is the Ecu on these .its hard to find anybody who can custom map them .

23redblock
Sunday 21st July 2013, 12:11
damm guess ill have to keep browsing lol

Haizum74
Sunday 21st July 2013, 19:26
Start up wise it could be a number of things, I had this happen to me a few months back and the mechanic I use checked the battery and was down a tad. After a long ride out its been fine since. It also had £30 of unleaded in, going back to v power and again no issues. With regards to more power, as smithy said, the ECU is a §§§§§§ to map but it has been done although its a tad more expensive than mapping a T5. You could also upgrade the turbo but as the flange is different than the T5's you would need a modded manifold. You could get an upgraded turbo thats in a standard housing as the one on our T4's, just upgraded internals. Exhaust system will get a few more HP. Im still not convinced a change of air intake has any factors in increasing HP apart from a nice swish noise lol.

partsforvolvos.com
Monday 22nd July 2013, 12:04
poor starting like that- check the vacuum pipe comming off the top of the fuel regulator to see if it smells strongly of fuel - it could have gone.

lower pressure might inhibit performance at higher reves as well.

AndysR
Monday 22nd July 2013, 23:12
Result, you've got the best engine for the T4. The T2 engine is quite a lot better than it's siblings and far better for getting power reliably from it, with regards to power your only limit will be your wallet.. ;)

partsforvolvos.com
Tuesday 23rd July 2013, 13:03
if it is not the regulator, it could be the tank pump unit letting pressure back when the car is left.

also, you can take the injectors out of the manifold, turn them around on the rail and put paper underneath overnight- this way, any with damp underneath are leaking. i had this happen to 3 of mine so replaced with a secondhand set, but i did have a distinct fuel smell when the car was sat, and traced to both the regulator and injectors fubar.
i suspected my dump valve knackered the regulator, as i had 2 go - the second a only 6 months old genuine part. -so the DV got binned!

smithy
Tuesday 23rd July 2013, 13:48
I've fitted an 18t on a t4 with angled 3in flange and used Vxr 470 injectors too .that made a big difference and the car is dam fast .but could go with a custom map though .to fit these turbos you have to use a cut down version of the t5 manifold and use some of the t5 water lines too .and a custom drain but the oil feed is t5 too.

partsforvolvos.com
Tuesday 23rd July 2013, 13:51
autotech do a fitting kit inc machined flange to fit the larger turbo onto original manifold - easy to make but their kit also includes the lines.

it is $$$$ though.

smithy
Tuesday 23rd July 2013, 13:56
autotech do a fitting kit inc machined flange to fit the larger turbo onto original manifold - easy to make but their kit also includes the lines.

it is $$$$ though.

My system cost me 20 pounds and got the turbo for a ton .and downpipe was ton too .but it made the car a different beast .