PDA

View Full Version : Steering Rack.......Pls help

thewatsonsmouts
Wednesday 17th July 2013, 13:57
What the easiest way of aligning the rack with the steering wheel? When tracked up I have about a 20mm difference in rods. Is it by dropping subframe again, and knuckle linkage off centralising steering wheel and aligning rack by measurement on the end of the inner rods? There is a machined flat on the steering rack spline pinion which I guess is for the bolt on the steering knuckle think I only have 1 or 2 splines of adjustment

merc85
Wednesday 17th July 2013, 14:12
I always put the steering lock on before i drop the rack/subframe with the steering wheel central

kyboy
Saturday 20th July 2013, 22:48
How much of a job is it changing racks? As I've got to do mine,any advice??

Volvo_Mad
Wednesday 24th July 2013, 21:20
might be better to get a garage to fit in with a tracking machine to make sure its all done right.

merc85
Wednesday 24th July 2013, 22:08
How much of a job is it changing racks? As I've got to do mine,any advice??

may aswell drop the whole lot, engine and box either that or suspend the engine from a engine hoist or bar then drop the subframe.

thewatsonsmouts
Wednesday 24th July 2013, 22:49
Undo the two front subframe bolts 20mm and take the rear ones out lowering the subfame down, obviously undoing the spline steering linkage. the two powersteering cooling pipes will also have to be undun along with the unions on the rack undo ya track ends and take them off then undo the rack itself from the subframe. I had to take the antiroll bar off out the way too to remove the heat shield plate this is a black plate one bolt on block and the other on the subframe/rack. I pulled mine out from the drivers side with a bit of higgery pokery isn't wasn't a bad job. got it all sorted now and she works a treat thanks guys for you advice