PDA

View Full Version : Tyre wear and wheel alignment

Gold 'N' Brown
Sunday 14th July 2013, 14:58
Does this sound like the front wheel alignment on my V70 is toeing out too much?

Steering slow/reluctant to self centre after turning a corner.
Woeful traction in the wet. Even look at the throttle at slow speed in the wet and the traction control will take a fit.
Just checked the rear tyres, which had been on the front when I bought the car, and have only been on the back for a couple of thousand miles, and the outer edge is worn almost smooth. The middle 3/4 is down to the wear marks and the outer 1/8 is excessively worn whereas the inner 1/8 still has some grooves.

Obviously I will be taking it for a 4 wheel alignment when I Get it back on the road, but just curious to know if my suspicion is right.

stribo
Sunday 14th July 2013, 17:50
It's hard to say, woeful traction could be down to shot suspension. If the outer edges of the tyre are worn then that could point to too much toe in. As you say 4 wheel alignment is your first port of call, and go from there.

JamesT5
Sunday 14th July 2013, 17:59
ATS do a good value 4 wheel alignment, I take mine there and any issues with afterwards they always rectify for free.

graemewelch
Sunday 14th July 2013, 21:09
check for worn bushes first and replace befor getting alinement dont

JamesT5
Monday 15th July 2013, 16:50
check for worn bushes first and replace befor getting alinement dont

ATS check the alignment for free and only charge if it a) needs doing and b) the customer agrees. I'd say get the alignment checked first as it won't cost anything, especially if you use a reputable place like ATS.

graemewelch
Monday 15th July 2013, 17:08
sorry james but i disagree. always replace worn parts then make adjustments. chances are your wishbones will be worn. id be very concerned if they didnt getvit right first time.

Gold 'N' Brown
Monday 15th July 2013, 19:12
Visual inspection of the bushes didn't raise any eyebrows for me, and in the 6 months I was driving it daily it didn't exhibit any other behaviour that would make me think any of the bushes were worn. But if they are, one would hope it'll come to light in the MOT in the next few weeks.

As for ATS, I have a healthy skepticism towards places like that when it comes to 4 wheel alignment. In theory, they should be quite competent, but I often feel that it's a case of unleashing a poorly trained and low paid grease monkey on tens of thousands of £s of laser alignment equipment, and assuming that they will always be right. Having the best equipment in the world won't help you if you don't know how to use it. I had an argument with one such operator a few years back because he thought it was quite acceptable to adjust front toe by only adjusting the track rod end on one side (lazy §§§§§§§) and then correcting the steering angle by removing and refitting the steering wheel. He hadn't heard of ackermann. Said it made no difference. Maybe not in Betty Smith's old Micra that she uses to nip to the shops, but I'm not having that pish with my 205 GTI thank you very much.

graemewelch
Monday 15th July 2013, 20:37
Visual inspection of the bushes didn't raise any eyebrows for me, and in the 6 months I was driving it daily it didn't exhibit any other behaviour that would make me think any of the bushes were worn. But if they are, one would hope it'll come to light in the MOT in the next few weeks.

As for ATS, I have a healthy skepticism towards places like that when it comes to 4 wheel alignment. In theory, they should be quite competent, but I often feel that it's a case of unleashing a poorly trained and low paid grease monkey on tens of thousands of £s of laser alignment equipment, and assuming that they will always be right. Having the best equipment in the world won't help you if you don't know how to use it. I had an argument with one such operator a few years back because he thought it was quite acceptable to adjust front toe by only adjusting the track rod end on one side (lazy §§§§§§§) and then correcting the steering angle by removing and refitting the steering wheel. He hadn't heard of ackermann. Said it made no difference. Maybe not in Betty Smith's old Micra that she uses to nip to the shops, but I'm not having that pish with my 205 GTI thank you very much.

you have took the words right out of my mouth. setting up.suspension is a skilled job and not sumit a semi skilled tyre fitter can turn his hand to.

Gold 'N' Brown
Monday 15th July 2013, 23:07
Just looking back through pre-ownership receipts and found it had both front lower arms and balljoints replaced 3000 miles before I bought it. Coincidence much? No bills for any alignment checks.

EDIT: After going through all of the reciepts it's had the lower arms and balljoints replaced a few times in the last 50k, but not a single receipt showing that an alignment has ever been done in that time. Guess the last owner preferred to pay out for replacement tyres more regularly than stump up to get it set up correctly. Some people eh?

silverhorse
Thursday 18th July 2013, 18:04
As for ATS, I have a healthy skepticism towards places like that when it comes to 4 wheel alignment. In theory, they should be quite competent, but I often feel that it's a case of unleashing a poorly trained and low paid grease monkey on tens of thousands of £s of laser alignment equipment, and assuming that they will always be right.

you have took the words right out of my mouth. setting up.suspension is a skilled job and not sumit a semi skilled tyre fitter can turn his hand to.

So, with these thoughts in mind, where can I take my car for alignment? I have just done lots of suspension work and it needs setting up. I was going to go to ATS, but after these comments (which make sense 100%), I am not so sure.
I am not after a setup that is going to give me an extra 8 tenths around the Snetterton 300, just what it was like when it left the factory.

LeeT5
Monday 22nd July 2013, 11:58
Just looking back through pre-ownership receipts and found it had both front lower arms and balljoints replaced 3000 miles before I bought it. Coincidence much? No bills for any alignment checks.

EDIT: After going through all of the reciepts it's had the lower arms and balljoints replaced a few times in the last 50k, but not a single receipt showing that an alignment has ever been done in that time. Guess the last owner preferred to pay out for replacement tyres more regularly than stump up to get it set up correctly. Some people eh?

Unfortunately, that's the attitude of most ppl. Cars are taken for granted. They just get in and drive them, that's all they worry about.

Fact of the matter is this. Wheel alignment is paramount to the vehicles drive ability and has an immediate and profound affect, if it is not correct, on the vehicles ability to both drive and steer in a correct manner under complete control without any adverse reaction. Therefore, it is my view that it must be checked/adjusted at least once a year or every 12k. Failing to do so, will cause premature wear on tyres and in some cases suspension components caused by undue stress. Not only that, but there is the safety element to consider too. Having correct wheel alignment will make a vehicle safer and easier to drive.

Gold 'N' Brown
Monday 22nd July 2013, 12:53
Through some googling I managed to find out about a local guy who is highly recommended. Has a little workshop on the estate just a mile or so from where I work, and his praises are sung highly across many car forums. Apparently he can be a bit of a misery......so we should get on just fine.

LeeT5
Monday 22nd July 2013, 13:23
Through some googling I managed to find out about a local guy who is highly recommended. Has a little workshop on the estate just a mile or so from where I work, and his praises are sung highly across many car forums. Apparently he can be a bit of a misery......so we should get on just fine.

If he has anything less than a Hunter machine, don't bother.

Gold 'N' Brown
Monday 22nd July 2013, 13:52
I'll ask if he's using a Hunter, but to be honest it's not likely to sway my decision. Reputation and knowledge count for more IMO (see my earlier post about having expensive tools and not knowing how to use them), and this guy has 27 years experience and has been recommended for having done work on an NSX-R, Porsche and Lotus amongst others. Worth remembering that people were setting up car geometry correctly for decades before fancy laser alignment came along. All it does is make the job quicker (which means more money in the pocket for the tradesman, after he's paid off the cost of the tools).