PDA

View Full Version : new shocks and springs ?

mrboost
Friday 12th July 2013, 12:50
My 2003 V70 D5 is looking like my front shock has started to leak, I've looked into new shocks and Eibach springs but the cost is a bit higher than I expected My rear shocks were replaced by Volvo 2 years ago and only done 10K. So do I just buy front shocks or would I be better getting R shocks and springs. Does the V70R have upgraded shocks and springs as standard ? I'm not after coilover performance just no leaky shock and a bit more stability under load in the corners.

Any advice welcome

Martin

M-R-P
Friday 12th July 2013, 12:56
The R uses much different shocks to what you have (unless you have 4-C) and won't be compatible. They cost about £300 EACH too :yikes:

I'm using Boge Automatic shocks on the front of mine and they're fantastic. £190 a pair from GSF.

mrboost
Monday 15th July 2013, 14:14
cheers for the heads up, will have a look on gsf :-)

LeeT5
Wednesday 17th July 2013, 01:51
The R uses much different shocks to what you have (unless you have 4-C) and won't be compatible. They cost about £300 EACH too :yikes:

I'm using Boge Automatic shocks on the front of mine and they're fantastic. £190 a pair from GSF.

For clarification, the P2R shocks and springs are not compatible with anything other than an P2R, due to the entire suspension setup being completely different, So forget it!
Also, they cost less than £200 ea if you buy direct from Monroe, which is the only company that manufacture the R shock.
A P2R spring will lower the car 20mm more than a non R model, therefore, any P2 car will always be 20mm higher than an R model (not accounting for spring sag).

If you want my opinion then i would replace your front shocks ONLY with new gas struts, be they BOGE or SACHS. Also i would replace all 4 of your springs with new oe ones. Regardless of mileage, on an 03 model they will be sagging and therefore 'sloppy'.
New springs will freshen up the ride and the new front shocks will reign in that wallowing front end and the whole car will feel more planted and firmer.
Trust me. I did it on my old T5 estate and the difference was night and day!

M-R-P
Wednesday 17th July 2013, 01:54
For clarification, the P2R shocks and springs are not compatible with anything other than an P2R, due to the entire suspension setup being completely different, So forget it!
Also, they cost less than £200 ea if you buy direct from Monroe, which is the only company that manufacture the R shock.
A P2R spring will lower the car 20mm more than a non R model, therefore, any P2 car will always be 20mm higher than an R model (not accounting for spring sag).
Ello Lee :)

Ebay lowering springs are cheaper than R springs by quite a bit so just forget the R thing lol :)

LeeT5
Wednesday 17th July 2013, 01:58
Ello Lee :)

Ebay lowering springs are cheaper than R springs by quite a bit so just forget the R thing lol :)

geezer! I completely agree. However, It depends if he wants that new car feel with the ride inc oe comfort or does he want it to look lower but sacrifice the ride for a more harsh and jittery one? Either way, R springs or shocks are out of the question.