PDA

View Full Version : air con

weagie
Sunday 7th July 2013, 09:47
I'm thinking about removing the air con system as I don't use it, has any one else done this? I am considering replacing the compressor with a more useful kind in the future so will leave that for the sake of the auxiliary belt.
how much pipe work is there?
Cheers

stribo
Sunday 7th July 2013, 10:35
I believe Frankie's done it, although others probably have too.

graemewelch
Sunday 7th July 2013, 10:38
whats the benifit of removing it. wouldnt be without my ac

weagie
Sunday 7th July 2013, 10:54

I've never seen the point of it, you have to have the windows closed for it to be effective. I always have a window open anyway so i don't really need it.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 7th July 2013, 11:15
You'll need to remove the AC pump & run a shorter auxiliary belt. By rights if there is still AC gas in there then you'll need to have that professionally removed

weagie
Sunday 7th July 2013, 11:44
You'll need to remove the AC pump & run a shorter auxiliary belt. By rights if there is still AC gas in there then you'll need to have that professionally removed

yeah I was going to ask about that. Is it actually a gas or liquid and can it be removed DIY style as long as it is disposed of properly?

Harvey
Sunday 7th July 2013, 12:03
yeah I was going to ask about that. Is it actually a gas or liquid and can it be removed DIY style as long as it is disposed of properly?

No you need a recovery machine?

weagie
Sunday 7th July 2013, 12:07
Cool, will look for my nearest air con person. Cheers

LiamT4
Sunday 7th July 2013, 12:29
I've never seen the point of it, you have to have the windows closed for it to be effective. I always have a window open anyway so i don't really need it.

The point of a/c is that it makes the air cold ;-)
Having the a/c on is not compareble to just having the windows open and why would you want to have your widows open when on the motorway or in traffic?

In this type of weather i don't want to get out of my car, its that good lol

JamesT5
Sunday 7th July 2013, 13:23

You know what, for a change I actually agree with you on something! I'd be lost without my Aircon too, I wouldn't own a car without it and maker sure mine is serviced annually.

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 7th July 2013, 13:32
Quick parallel question... Is the a/c liquid a green colour? If so my V40 has a drip coming out under the engine..

weagie
Sunday 7th July 2013, 13:55
Quick parallel question... Is the a/c liquid a green colour? If so my V40 has a drip coming out under the engine..

nah, you've just killed a gremlin. I have no idea what the stuff looks like.
air con ain't for me to be honest besides sitting in traffic with it on wastes fuel and it saps power as far as I've been led to believe. Each to they're own I guess.

Harvey
Sunday 7th July 2013, 14:32

Some air con engineers will put a UV dye in the system which does look like a green fluid if they have been looking for a hard to find leak?
Is the fluid oily,your sure it's not antifreeze ?.:smile:

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 7th July 2013, 15:27
Nope ... My water is a nice rusty brown colour!!!

It is either A/c or powersteering fluid. I thought my power steering was pink

Biff
Sunday 7th July 2013, 16:00
I've thought about removing mine. A very small power gain I reckon with 1 less pump to run.
Mines goosed, it lets out water from the pipe by my near side wheel.

stribo
Sunday 7th July 2013, 16:19

There is a yellowy/greeny liquid in a/c systems, I think it lubricates the compressor.

t5 pete
Sunday 7th July 2013, 16:25
Yes all the air cons ive seen have a green gas/liquid ive also removedy entire ąc in the engine bay pipe work ,compressor , and rad main reason was to fit bigger intercooler and it didint work due to a leak under dash

nobananas
Sunday 7th July 2013, 16:55
I stripped all the AC out of my R but then the condenser was missing anyway !. I cut the pipework at the bulkhead and stripped out everything from there onwards including the drier and fitted a shorter belt. The oil used in AC systems to lubricate the pump protect the rubber pipework from the gas is usually clear but as has been said it's often tinged flourecent green by a dye visible under UV light. If the system is still gassed and under pressure then you will need to take it to a garage with AC equipment and have a recovery only, shouldn't be much of a charge as they get to keep the gas ( what there is of it !). Incidently there is a big difference to a system having pressure to one having gas. Now the weathers turned hot I've been regassing everyday, over the last week I've probably recovered about 20 grams of gas in total from about 10 cars all which had pressure and were working just not very cold !

weagie
Sunday 7th July 2013, 19:54
I found a leak on the passenger side, is that from the a/c? I thought it was from the heater. Is the rad for it easy to get out?

LiamT4
Sunday 7th July 2013, 20:37
nah, you've just killed a gremlin. I have no idea what the stuff looks like.
air con ain't for me to be honest besides sitting in traffic with it on wastes fuel and it saps power as far as I've been led to believe. Each to they're own I guess.

fair enough, but i'd prefer to be stuck in traffic with the ac on and use a bit more fuel than with the windows down, melting in this heat and breathing in all the diesel sh*te ;-)

It does take a bit of power when in use, but when you have about 300bhp, you don't notice it lol

stephenevans99
Sunday 7th July 2013, 21:34
I compare the importance of air conditioning to the old adage that goes: 'Sex is like Air - it's only Important when you're not getting any'

....please continue :)

nobananas
Sunday 7th July 2013, 22:26
I found a leak on the passenger side, is that from the a/c? I thought it was from the heater. Is the rad for it easy to get out?

You won't notice a leak from the AC, any leak in the system will dump the gas before you realise.

Madbloke100
Monday 30th September 2013, 10:37
Sounds like a plan mine broke years ago