PDA

View Full Version : Manual Transmission Dipstick Mystery

JamesT5
Friday 5th July 2013, 18:59
Do you think I can find the dipstick for the Gearbox on the car? No!

I've been reading every reference I can online to find it but all the references seem to point to the Autobox dipstick with ATF written on it, but nothing for the manual boxes.

There must be a dipstick and top-up point on it somewhere but even looking on the spare gearbox that's actually off the car, I still can't locate it. How are we supposed to check the level and fill with transmission fluid if there's no dipstick on there?

My aim is to check the fluid and see if I can find somewhere to stick some Molyslip (or whatever it is) in the box to quieten it down for a while until I can get it changed.

V70 Graham
Friday 5th July 2013, 19:05
The dipstick on most P2's is located on the o/s front seat, just behind the steering wheel.....

JamesT5
Friday 5th July 2013, 19:08
The dipstick on most P2's is located on the o/s front seat, just behind the steering wheel.....

:hilarious :B_thumb: :D

Dangerous Dave
Friday 5th July 2013, 19:14
The manual gearbox doesn't have a dipstick. The level is checked by removing a plug on the back of the final drive and filling it until oil comes out.

JamesT5
Friday 5th July 2013, 19:26
The manual gearbox doesn't have a dipstick. The level is checked by removing a plug on the back of the final drive and filling it until oil comes out.

Thanks Dave, that'll save me spending the rest of the evening scratching my head and looking like a dipstick (pun intended). :)

But why would Volvo put a dipstick on the Auto box and not the Manual box? Makes no sense to me.....

Harvey
Friday 5th July 2013, 19:36
Thanks Dave, that'll save me spending the rest of the evening scratching my head and looking like a dipstick (pun intended). :)

But why would Volvo put a dipstick on the Auto box and not the Manual box? Makes no sense to me.....

The reason is simple on a auto box you need to check it when it's when the fluid is hot & engine running.

Also when you do your oil level the car does need to be quite level not jacked up to high.

graemewelch
Friday 5th July 2013, 19:37
cause manual boxes work differently to auto boxes and hold a hell of a lot more fluid.

JUDGENINJA
Friday 5th July 2013, 19:56
... Ah why did you tell him??? I could imagine how much fun we could have had...
It's under the battery tray!!
No it's down the back of the turbo!!!
Etc...(yes I have a sad life.)

Glad your sorted..

stribo
Friday 5th July 2013, 20:01
... Ah why did you tell him??? I could imagine how much fun we could have had...
It's under the battery tray!!
No it's down the back of the turbo!!!
Etc...(yes I have a sad life.)

Glad your sorted..

That's just mean, but very funny. ;)

Santa
Friday 5th July 2013, 20:02
This is the same with most car manufacturers I believe where the Manual box won't have a dip stick.

graemewelch
Friday 5th July 2013, 20:46
if the box is trashed molyslip isnt going to make any difference.

JamesT5
Saturday 6th July 2013, 19:46
I'll be posting a video in the next couple of days (if all goes to plan), showing just how noisy the box now is because it now makes the grinding sound rolling along in neutral and if the clutch pedal is down whilst moving, as well as when I'm driving along in gear. This tells me it's actually stemming from the output bearing.

I'm busting a gut to get a compatible DMF and then the garage labour to fit it all. If I'm honest, when you hear it I think it would scare some of you silly!

:smirk:

:jaw: