PDA

View Full Version : front mount intercooler

t5steve
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 22:15
is there a formula to work out how big a fmic should be or is it a case of as big as you can get.................

theflyingbrick
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 22:40
the standard ones are good for 300bhp mate.................what you up to?

t5steve
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 22:45
you know me .............always on the lookout for something different................just have a couple laying around and it seems rude not to have one hanging out of my bumper

theflyingbrick
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 22:48
you know me .............always on the lookout for something different................just have a couple laying around and it seems rude not to have one hanging out of my bumper

go for it mate....how many have you got? how big are they? and how much lol

t5steve
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 22:52
to be honest they ain't very big hence the question.................watch this space

claymore
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 22:56
go for it mate....how many have you got? how big are they? and how much lol

I've got my old Noble one going spare if you want something to play with

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 23:39
Like all these things its a balancing act. Ideally you want maximum cooling without inducing lag.

You need to use the FMIC which works with the output figures you're aiming for and match it with the turbo.

theflyingbrick
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 23:49
I've got my old Noble one going spare if you want something to play with

really? I know its a bit chav but I want an intercooler poking out the front lol or at least a silver one for some show ;)

t5steve
Thursday 4th July 2013, 00:26
Like all these things its a balancing act. Ideally you want maximum cooling without inducing lag.

You need to use the FMIC which works with the output figures you're aiming for and match it with the turbo.

so is there some sort of formula to work out the size thats needed

M-R-P
Thursday 4th July 2013, 00:31
big turbo, bige pipes, big intercooler, big injectors, big wallet

job done :)

Kingsford G
Thursday 4th July 2013, 00:52
Watching with interest Steve,go for it.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 4th July 2013, 00:55
so is there some sort of formula to work out the size thats needed

I've been doing extensive research on the optimum size of IC pipework for a given application.

I am almost ready to publish what I've worked out. The intercoolers role in that is to reduce the charge temp - but it needs to be free flowing enough to be efficient = getting the air through without being too turbulent, yet not so large that it induces lag.

I think there's a lot to be said about improving the airflow vs going bigger. 3 inch core however will do more than most applications. The Volvo OEM is a good intercooler but if you want to go North of 300 then it will probably need to be uprated.

Fine tuning the relationship between compressor outlet, intercooler pipes, throttle body size & intercooler size (& fittings) needs careful consideration.

Depends what you intend to run. It all starts with the turbo & the compressor flow map.

zoidberg
Thursday 4th July 2013, 13:22
Or you could just buy the book 'Supercharged' by Corky Bell and go direct to page 105 and read the next twenty or so pages, gives you all the info and calculations you will need.