PDA

View Full Version : Found a V70 I like.

Craig1985
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 14:35
Just wondering what opinions are on this if I give a description of the car.

I was supposed to go and look at a V70 on Sunday but due to reasons we had to change that.
Since then I've got more info on the car and am just a little unsure if its actually going to be as good as it looks and sounds. Few bits make me a tad uneasy as dont know much about these models still.
Firstly its a 98 model T5 in white with full leather. Pros so far: lowered slightly, Pro race 1.2's, Bailey dump valve (may or may not keep if I get car) full 3" exhaust aparrantley, supposed to have a remap to 280hp but no paperwork to prove as was done by previous owner to current.
Also has tinted windows on rear. Looks a very nice example.

Not so sure parts: owners only had it since March, no history of belts or water pump being changed, no remap receipt or graphs, 5-6 months tax and test left, wants around £1400 for it and has covered 235000 miles?

Is the car really worth that much with limited history and that mileage or what should I try as an offer.
Not sure if its someone on here it not or if you would know the car as current owner only had it 3 months and now selling ?

Just don't want to shoot myself in the foot because I like the look. Haven't currently got a link I car post up but this is the main details from the seller.
Any advice or help if something sounds dubious to you guys would be most grateful. :)

T5frankie
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 15:05
if you like the car its only worth what you wanna pay for it, i personally wouldnt buy a t5 with that mileage, i sold an 850r with 226k on ebay and it only made 900 quid

Craig1985
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 15:24
That's the sort of info I was looking for though. Not really knowing what they go for, he didnt give the mileage in the add. Only told me after I'd asked 2 times for it and I must admit with no proof of belts and so on and on the mileage its not quite as appealing now.
Was just seeing what things go for. In the Mg front I know what they go for and what they are worth to people that like them but ref te volvos I'm not so sure.

Maybe ending up with an R as found one of those but its a fair old trek so if I do may be buying blind but with 100k less on the clock and being an 850 saloon its very very tempting.

T5frankie
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 15:25
dont discount auto t5's they go very well and are alot of fun

M-R-P
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 15:30
dont discount auto t5's they go very well and are alot of fun

Yep - Shrek's R is mental lol.

Craig1985
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 15:31
I've never really liked autos and the mrs really hates them with a passion. Not saying they aren't good as I know they can also save money if a good box and so on as clutch changes on manuals can be a few £s. Unfortunately though an auto isn't going to be an option for me which kinda narrows my choices down when you don't have loads to spend.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

Craig1985
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 15:32
Yep - Shrek's R is mental lol.

I know, I saw it on Saturday evening. You certainly know its coming when it dumps off.. Lol

T5frankie
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 15:34
how can anyone say they hate them? whats to hate? they are much easier to drive, more relaxing, quicker throttle response, better when stuck in traffic, my missus loves her auto volvo now i've converted her lol

Craig1985
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 15:40
We both feel slightly disconnected on an auto. I don't knock the fact they are more relaxed in town but that's not a major thing for us. I feel very lost in an auto myself as I do drive my parents supercharged merc and Saab turbo and yes are very quick but I like being more involved in driving an choosing what gear I want to be in really.
The mrs just doesn't like them at all, beer driven one and really doesn't want to. She wants a manual and only a manual which is a fair choice I think.
They certainly are nice but even when I've driven my parents cars after 2-3 days I want the manual back as find it more fun generally.

WOODY T5
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 15:54
That car was a mate of mine who was on here ex police a shed when he sold it on look much better tho

Craig1985
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 16:31
That car was a mate of mine who was on here ex police a shed when he sold it on look much better tho

Thought someone would probably know the car, I just don't have as much faith in it to warrant that much mileage without full history for that kind of money.
Car does look very nice in the pics though.

graemewelch
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 16:35
i wouldnt buy a car thats been around the clock twice. dont rush the right car will come along

V70 Graham
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 16:38
Just wondering (out of interest of course) what my car 68K manual, clutch done 12 months ago remap with printout etc would be worth.....

T5frankie
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 16:52
Just wondering (out of interest of course) what my car 68K manual, clutch done 12 months ago remap with printout etc would be worth.....

500 cash?

V70 Graham
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 16:54
500 cash?

:nono:

Craig1985
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 17:03
You knew there'd be a response like that though.
As this thread clearly states, I don't really know but as was said earlier, whatever car it is I would only pay what it was worth to me.
Honestly though what would yours be worth, its certainly one of the nicer ones isn't it?
The R I've found has 140k on it and is creeping up in price at present, what do they usually fetch? 850R, manual saloon completely standard in dark green?
Probably seen it advertised already I would've thought?

V70 Graham
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 17:12
As this thread clearly states, I don't really know but as was said earlier, whatever car it is I would only pay what it was worth to me.
Honestly though what would yours be worth, its certainly one of the nicer ones isn't it?
The R I've found has 140k on it and is creeping up in price at present, what do they usually fetch? 850R, manual saloon completely standard in dark green?

I know I'm bias but it's probably one of the finest manual T5's in the country, take a look here.....

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?44183-A-few-little-jobs-to-finish-off-with&highlight=

As to a value, I'd rather 'ask the audience' (forum)

V70 Graham
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 17:13
.....don't forget 2 'Highly Commended' trophies at the 'Southern' and 'National' BKV's this year !

stribo
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 17:51
£400?

V70 Graham
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 17:54
£400?

:talktohan

T5frankie
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 18:10

about 2 grand mate

Craig1985
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 18:36
It certainly reads well on the spec of your car and does look so very nice too. Certainly one to be proud if mate :)

I would've thought around that price too Frankie, currently just over £900 so am still keeping a close eye on it.
I will however probably have to wait a while of it does go high which is a shame as the white one ticked the boxes until found that info out today. Shame really but as lots of you have said one will come along at some point.

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 19:13
He has to ask his wife as well!!

Decent photos and good write up... And we know it has never been raced!! You would want someone to really want it, so I would start at £1500-2000 without batting a eyelid. Yes guys would comment on over priced cars, but you only need that one person to hand over the money. I read mags for concours car purchasing and the ball park figure would be £5000 no matter what model.

Anyway on topic, if you have reservations... Walk away now..

T5frankie
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 19:35
It certainly reads well on the spec of your car and does look so very nice too. Certainly one to be proud if mate :)

I would've thought around that price too Frankie, currently just over £900 so am still keeping a close eye on it.
I will however probably have to wait a while of it does go high which is a shame as the white one ticked the boxes until found that info out today. Shame really but as lots of you have said one will come along at some point.

manuals are very rare mate, worth paying the extra for imo and will hold its value

T5frankie
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 19:36
similar but auto, bargain for the money

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-VOLVO-S60-T5-SE-AUTO-PURPLE-Auto-Black-Leather-12-Months-MOT-S-History-/400508679967?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item5d402d771f

LiamT4
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 20:00
similar but auto, bargain for the money

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-VOLVO-S60-T5-SE-AUTO-PURPLE-Auto-Black-Leather-12-Months-MOT-S-History-/400508679967?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item5d402d771f

bargain if its a 2.4, although seeing a tow bar on a car thats done 150k is something to think about.