PDA

View Full Version : Low reading for MAF

silverhorse
Tuesday 2nd July 2013, 10:57
I know this topic gets done to death, but I have just done a real time reading for my MAF on my 2.4 V70 T5 and it is showing 9.4kg/hour at idle with everything else off ie. aircon, lights, etc.

I am sure that I have read on here that it should be at least 12-20kg/h, but I can't find the post.
Any ideas??
I suspect my MAF is slowly dying, but interestingly there are no related fault codes, not even advisories.

M-R-P
Tuesday 2nd July 2013, 11:24
Give it a clean mate, see if it helps :)

silverhorse
Tuesday 2nd July 2013, 11:42
Give it a clean mate, see if it helps :)

Done that no end of times. I think after 110k miles, it has nearly had enough!

M-R-P
Tuesday 2nd July 2013, 11:44
Done that no end of times. I think after 110k miles, it has nearly had enough!

My MAF is on 202600 miles :D

LeeT5
Tuesday 2nd July 2013, 22:51
I know this topic gets done to death, but I have just done a real time reading for my MAF on my 2.4 V70 T5 and it is showing 9.4kg/hour at idle with everything else off ie. aircon, lights, etc.

I am sure that I have read on here that it should be at least 12-20kg/h, but I can't find the post.
Any ideas??
I suspect my MAF is slowly dying, but interestingly there are no related fault codes, not even advisories.

Well well well!!

If your only getting 9.4kg/hour then that reading, me ol mate, is too low! I guarantee if you were to stick a S/S air filter on that car it would drive like a slag!
Martyn's V70R was reading about 10kg/h (from memory) which was just below lower limits and would run ok with standard air box and filter but when he fitted his AMS system it was almost undriveable.

Mine, compared to Martyn's when we were at MRG was reading 12kg/h at idle. MRG then fitted a new MAF and when he got back to Scotland he fitted his AMS and all was well!

If your gonna clean it, ONLY use Carburetor cleaner. It dissolves grease and oil on contact. Do not touch the sensor or try and wipe it with anything....you'll damage or break it. ONLY use the spray with a straw attachment, that way, you'll get a good clean.

If your readings don't come up after cleaning, buy a new MAF.

M-R-P
Tuesday 2nd July 2013, 22:53
I thought Martyn's problem was also attributed to a dirty throttle body?

LeeT5
Tuesday 2nd July 2013, 22:57
I thought Martyn's problem was also attributed to a dirty throttle body?

It was a contributing factor but not the main cause.

To be honest, as you well know, the ETM is so easy to get too, you'd be a fool not to clean that as well!

M-R-P
Tuesday 2nd July 2013, 22:59
Very true, worth doing now and again, even if there's nothing wrong.

LeeT5
Tuesday 2nd July 2013, 23:04
Very true, worth doing now and again, even if there's nothing wrong.

Yes. I do mine every 20k. Infact, mine is due before the end of this year....along with the bloody PCV :(

silverhorse
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 08:10
Well well well!!

If your only getting 9.4kg/hour then that reading, me ol mate, is too low! I guarantee if you were to stick a S/S air filter on that car it would drive like a slag!

Haha!! Cheers Lee!! I knew you would post on this thread!

I have cleaned it many times so a new MAF it is. I also did my ETM too and that was already nice and shiny.

Incidently, I found on my VIDA that the parameters are 12-20kg/h at idle with all elecs/air con,etc off

M-R-P
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 08:16
Yes. I do mine every 20k. Infact, mine is due before the end of this year....along with the bloody PCV :(
Sounds like an extreme bit of preventative maintenance to me lol. I'll do my PCV if it starts puffing smoke and even then, I'll start with the banjo bolt on the bottom of the inlet mani before I go pulling it all apart again.

Haha!! Cheers Lee!! I knew you would post on this thread!

I have cleaned it many times so a new MAF it is. I also did my ETM too and that was already nice and shiny.

Incidently, I found on my VIDA that the parameters are 12-20kg/h at idle with all elecs/air con,etc off

Looks like I'm one of the lucky few with a bomb-proof MAF then lol :D

silverhorse
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 08:28
I'll start with the banjo bolt on the bottom of the inlet mani

Done that. NIGHTMARE!!
​And when I got the bl00dy thing off, it was already lovely and clean!!

M-R-P
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 09:02
Yep - utter dratsab getting that thing off but luckily, it was the only blockage in the system. Unluckily, I'd already taken the rest of the system off before I found that out :(