PDA

View Full Version : V70R 2.3T5 FWD Camshaft Replacement?

Wadderz
Monday 1st July 2013, 15:37
Anyone here had any experience with changing, the timing belt, and changing the camshafts on a 2.3 T5 / B5234T3 engine?

Ive taken the rocker cover off to reveal the camshafts, this was done to replace the oil seals for the spark plug wells. I am finding it difficult to refit them and cant quite work out how im going to work out how to mount the camshaft wheels back onto the camshafts in the right position?

if anyone has any ideas id be very pleased if you could let me know how your meant to refit the camshafts back in the right position and how you are meant to refit the timing wheels to the camshafts in the right position.

Thanks, Wadderz.

merc85
Monday 1st July 2013, 16:18
Hopefully you would have marked the Front cam spockets to there relievant camshafts and there noted there position ,ie marked inlet and exhaust.

Also the rear of the camshafts have cutouts/slots in the rear, these must be horizontal when refitting in the head.

Wadderz
Monday 1st July 2013, 16:58
Thanks very much for your reply!
Yes i removed the cams and made sure the intake and exhaust cams are in the right sides, but im finding it difficult to put the cams back in with the dizzy end horizontal due to the cam lobes hitting the lifters as they are all in the same position, if i bolt the rocker cover down over the camshafts it does push the cams down properly but i cant rotate them to make the dizzy side perfectly horizontal, do i need a special tool for this? and also i need to do the timing from scratch again, this means that i will have to find out the Crankshaft position, and set it to a certain position in relation to the Camshaft position ?

Thanks again, p.s. your 850 is beautiful :D

graemewelch
Monday 1st July 2013, 17:17
wear abouts are you. sounds like your going to need help. these are questions i would of ask befor dismantling the engine

Wobbly Dave
Monday 1st July 2013, 17:19
There are a multitude of great YouTube videos on the subject. You can buy quite cheaply the re-fit tools off ebay here (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Volvo-Cam-Camshaft-and-Crankshaft-Alignment-Timing-Locking-Tools-Kit-Set-/261154813063) or you can make your own. Yes you do need the locking tool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjf4Fpzt-Zw

merc85
Monday 1st July 2013, 19:44
Thanks very much for your reply!
Yes i removed the cams and made sure the intake and exhaust cams are in the right sides, but im finding it difficult to put the cams back in with the dizzy end horizontal due to the cam lobes hitting the lifters as they are all in the same position, if i bolt the rocker cover down over the camshafts it does push the cams down properly but i cant rotate them to make the dizzy side perfectly horizontal, do i need a special tool for this? and also i need to do the timing from scratch again, this means that i will have to find out the Crankshaft position, and set it to a certain position in relation to the Camshaft position ?

Thanks again, p.s. your 850 is beautiful :D

Sounds like the bottom end has moved, so yes you will have to time it up. there is a mark on the bottom crank pulley which has to sit in the middle of the V on the crank pulley teeth when its at TDC.

This is getting beyond me as i was only shown once how to do this lol. But there are some very experienced peeps on here who can help. smithy for one. Give him a pm he should be able to advise you.

Thanks for your kind words btw. ;)

Wadderz
Monday 1st July 2013, 22:59
thanks very much for everyones kind replies and for everyone not slating on me! im only 19 years old so havent really had that much experience with 5 cylinder DOHC turbocharged engines :P, but i assumed i would need a locking tool to keep the distributor end of the cams (ends with the slots) perfectly horizontal when putting them back in, then refit the cam wheels on the end, just stuck with how to fit them back on in the right position so ican line the timing marks up, do i fit them with the two little notches in the wheels pointing at each corner of the cambelt cover? also thankyou for the advice on timing which should also be a bit easier to do than fitting the cams, i had to replace two large O rings around the spark plug wells is the main reason for taking the rocker cover off.

thankyou for all your advice, if anyone could give me a very very simple step to step guide on how to refit the timing wheels in the right position (i am going to time the engine back up from scratch) i would be extremely grateful!

Thankyou friendly forum users :D

Wadderz
Monday 1st July 2013, 23:20
Also in reply to wobbly dave, i found this video from the link you sent me which is slightly more direct to the problem i am experiencing! thanks for the links :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68434cPXxmU

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 2nd July 2013, 00:28
I watched the other parts to this series & I wasn't sure which one you'd need the most. I am pleased you used the related links to find what you needed.

Wadderz
Tuesday 2nd July 2013, 09:33
yes i needed that, but there are a few things that i have missed, could anyone have a go at answering these 3 questions for me?

1. If i put the cams in and the slots on the back are horizontal, what position is this set at?
2. once the cams are in, and the slots are completely horizontal, what position do i put the timing wheels on? (which way do i face the notches on the timing wheel?)
3. also, how do i mount the Cam position sensor and the distributor cap back in the right position?

Thanks again everyone.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 2nd July 2013, 11:08
Do you have a haynes manual (haynes 3573 is the one you need)? You should get one regardless.
They show you how to make your own slot tools - though given the availability - beg/borrow or buy them??

The slots are horizontal but offset relative to the cam axis. They can only go 1 way up.
The timing marks are on the cam sprockets and on the cambelt covers (see video number 4)
I believe not that I have had a distributor for many years that it can be only orientated in one way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_CojfnK6J8

The cam position sensor is held in position with 2 screws on the exhaust cam (obviously because the dizzy is on the other).

http://www.tracystruesoaps.com/tutorials/850hg/cam_position_sensor.jpg

woz
Saturday 6th July 2013, 12:03
Not from the V70, but the basics will be similar ( I have a 850 Haynes manual 3260) but hope this helps21861218622186321864