PDA

View Full Version : Braking issue with my R, and I'm 160 miles from Home.

foammanmark
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 20:53
The R seems to have vague braking, and I think she's pulling to the left when applying the brakes. When stationery, the pedal firms up after a couple of presses, but then gives with a notchy feel.

Fluid level and pads all look OK, but something isn't right, and I'm 160 miles from Home, so really need to carry on driving, if I can.

What do you think could be wrong please?

Jamest5r
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 20:56
The R seems to have vague braking, and I think she's pulling to the left when applying the brakes. When stationery, the pedal firms up after a couple of presses, but then gives with a notchy feel.

Fluid level and pads all look OK, but something isn't right, and I'm 160 miles from Home, so really need to carry on driving, if I can.

What do you think could be wrong please?

Sit in the slow lane with the truck's we never use our brakes :), you will be home in 3hrs and look at it in the morning :)

claymore
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 20:57
Vac pipe ok?

T5frankie
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 20:57
i think the only thing vague is your description lol, you "think its pulling to the left?" lol

foammanmark
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 21:07
i think the only thing vague is your description lol, you "think its pulling to the left?" lol

OK, she's definitely pulling to the left, but only under braking. A lot more travel on the pedal before I feel any braking as well. Remember I had a nightmare getting her through the mot due uneven braking at the front. New brake hose and metal pipe got her through.

stephenevans99
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 21:10
If you're unsure then pull over and call the AA or RAC.....better safe then sorry.

foammanmark
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 21:21
Sit in the slow lane with the truck's we never use our brakes :), you will be home in 3hrs and look at it in the morning :)

That's exacty what I've done for most of today tbh. Great for the mpg. I nipped by GRN as well but it was getting late, so I didn't want to trouble them with ths.

merc85
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 21:27
Sounds like a Binding/siezed Caliper, Either that or the Brake hose to the Caliper has collapsed inside, and not letting the fluid return.

Biff
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 21:58
When your braking are any of your wheels getting hot? As merc85 said if they are binding or sticking on they may boil the fluid in the caliper & would cause the fluid to lose its density through air being out in the fluid. If one wheel is getting hot or a couple I'd say they were your culprits.
The joys of Volvo ownership! Lol

foammanmark
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 21:07
When your braking are any of your wheels getting hot? As merc85 said if they are binding or sticking on they may boil the fluid in the caliper & would cause the fluid to lose its density through air being out in the fluid. If one wheel is getting hot or a couple I'd say they were your culprits.
The joys of Volvo ownership! Lol

The wheels are showing no abnormal heat at all, but I've had the car checked today, and the fault is inconclusive. I'm starting with a new nearside front brake hose, as the offside was replaced in Feb'13, and they advised me that I should have the nearside done soon as well.

One guy at a Volvo place suspected the master cylinder today, but it's a case of elimination now. The abs and tracs lights came on once, but haven't been on since. Keep you posted.

foammanmark
Thursday 27th June 2013, 17:30
So I'm Home after over 500 miles with the braking issue, which is a relief tbh. Not moving her now until Tuesday morning when she goes into my local garage who sorted the MOT braking issue. Fingers crossed it's just the brakehose.............

Tomcat
Thursday 27th June 2013, 22:38
From what you've described I think it could only be the master cylinder, there's nothing else that would make or let you feel a 'grinding' sensation. Also if that's failed then that would probably give you then uneven pressures to the brakes that you where having.

graemewelch
Friday 28th June 2013, 08:35
i dont think its the master cylinder. id change the hoses and get some new calipers. possible upgrade them for sumit bigger

foammanmark
Monday 1st July 2013, 21:30
i dont think its the master cylinder. id change the hoses and get some new calipers. possible upgrade them for sumit bigger

I think that after the offside brake hose issue earlier in the year, that the nearside hose will be the starting point tomorrow when she goes in. Would it just be coincidence for them to both go within 3-4 months of each other though? I presume the garage will test for uneven brake force to begin with, but I'll post up tomorrow hopefully after she's sorted.

foammanmark
Tuesday 2nd July 2013, 17:43
The car has been in, and the brake testing machine gave the offside front as the issue. New caliper and brake hose, and it's better, but may not quite be perfectly right still. Tomorrow's journey will tell me one way or other whether or not the issue is sorted.

Now to get through the MOT in Feb, I had to have a fresh caliper(good used one) and hose, exactly as I've had done again today, on the same side. If this hasn't sorted it then I think I have a costly repair bill coming, with possibly the master cylinder being the issue.