PDA

View Full Version : finally fitted my induction cone, not impressed

no1tosh
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 19:43
i managed to nab an old intercooler pipe from an xc60 we've had in work, so straight home and fitted my pipercross.
i took it out and all i can here is a plasticy sigh when i let off the throttle. No induction noise, no wastegate chatter, just what sounds like the turbo pushing air back through to the cone when i let off and he rest of the time like i still have the airbox on!!!! :mad:

T5frankie
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 19:48
have you fitted the blanking plate on the turbo?

no1tosh
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 19:52
ya mate, there's a forge one fitted because of the dump valve.

T5frankie
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 19:55
how much boost you running?

no1tosh
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 19:59
0.75 bar on a bleed valve, baileys dump valve and forge blanking plate.

stribo
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 20:01
Have you taken the insulation off under the bonnet?

no1tosh
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 20:15
not yet, although it did cross my mind

merc85
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 20:27
ditch the bailey DV, there pony, wouldnt surprise me if its faulty

no1tosh
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 20:30
problem is, the car came with it and i have no recirclation valve to refit. or is there another way?

merc85
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 20:32
yeah run without it, i have been for two years never had a problem

claymore
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 20:33
Just run without a recirc valve

no1tosh
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 20:33
can i just ask if you have no dump valve and no recirclation then where does the spare boost go?? and what effect does it have???

cheers

claymore
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 20:34
the effect is what you are looking for. :)

no1tosh
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 20:40
cool ok, so no lack of performance then?

so i just pull the vac pipe off, block or leave open?

so does anyone have the plastic pipe from the top of the intercooler to the throttle body. the last owner has cut it in half to install the dump valve

claymore
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 20:44
No, you can't just pull the vac pipe off, because it's a boost pipe as well, it keeps the dump valve closed under boost.

Biff
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 20:45
Block it off with a bolt or similar jubilee clipped. Mine chatters with standard air box & no DV.

M-R-P
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 21:14
I've seen the dv removed and the head of a hammer jubilee clipped in its place lol.

MIKESC70T5
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 21:19
I've seen the dv removed and the head of a hammer jubilee clipped in its place lol.

Was it Frankies car :hidesbehi

T5frankie
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 21:25
Was it Frankies car :hidesbehi

so now my cars are bodge jobs as well? :rolleyes:

no1tosh
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 21:25
just blocked off the dv happyness, sod dump valves ive just turned every head in darwen hahahaha. That is so much more perverse than a dv.

i just need to get that plastic pipe now and get that thing out from under there:smile:

thanks again guys

Biff
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 21:43
That's the way son! Big fat cone goin under my bonnet soon. Lol

merc85
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 21:57
just blocked off the dv happyness, sod dump valves ive just turned every head in darwen hahahaha. That is so much more perverse than a dv.

i just need to get that plastic pipe now and get that thing out from under there:smile:

thanks again guys

Well done mate enjoy :)

M-R-P
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 22:16
Get a video up dude ;)

Biff
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 22:23
Get a video up dude ;)

Can I upload a video to photo bucket & link it like a photo Martin?

M-R-P
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 22:35
Best if you upload it to youtube mate, you'll only be able to link it to the pb page that it's on and the buffering is crap on pb.

Or email it to me and I'll put it on my youtube channel :)

Biff
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 22:41
Think that would be best. I wanna do a before & after with the induction kit. Lol
Cheers mate!

M-R-P
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 22:49
Think that would be best. I wanna do a before & after with the induction kit. Lol
Cheers mate!

Don't forget to ditch the soundproofing from the bonnet ;)

I did a mod to my recirc valve the other day, it cost me 2p and makes the induction bark before the woosh :)

Biff
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 23:10
That's long gone mate! Went the day I drilled my air box.
Stick a video up of it with an explanation of the mod. The bark might send my spaniel crazy!

M-R-P
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 23:13
Imagine the first bit of the chatter you get with a blanking plate and no dv/recirc just a single bark then the woosh of 16 psi going through a 3" custom maf to air pipe.

I'll try getting a vid next time I drive it.

Biff
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 23:16
Imagine the first bit of the chatter you get with a blanking plate and no dv/recirc just a single bark then the woosh of 16 psi going through a 3" custom maf to air pipe.

I'll try getting a vid next time I drive it.

Your just showing off now! Did the 2p sit inside the blacking plate spacing the spring more?

M-R-P
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 23:16
Your just showing off now! Did the 2p sit inside the blacking plate spacing the spring more?

Actually - yes.

Biff
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 23:18
Actually - yes.

What a guess. I was actually sat here thinking what you could of done... Lol
Good minds think alike?!

M-R-P
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 23:22
I wouldn't recommend it, getting a recirc valve back on is a right PITA!

Biff
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 23:26
It was a pita when I did mine, basically had to strip the right side of the engine, top mount & all the frame that sits on the side of the engine. I'll just put a big filter on. Lol

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 23:28
If tuning was just about the noise it makes then I'd be fine.

M-R-P
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 23:30
It was a pita when I did mine, basically had to strip the right side of the engine, top mount & all the frame that sits on the side of the engine. I'll just put a big filter on. Lol
I didn't take anything off, just rolled the car up some bricks and dragged my ass under neath to undo 2 bolts, then got the 3rd from the top. Being lanky helps ;)

If tuning was just about the noise it makes then I'd be fine.
Still need a video of your recirc setup Dave ;) I wanna hear it dump to see if it's the sort of noise I want before I go chopping things up :D

MIKESC70T5
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 00:09
so now my cars are bodge jobs as well? :rolleyes:

if you say so, I just thought they were Max Power Wannabees. Did you use to try and get your automobiles featured in said retired magazine?

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 00:16
Come to Trax and experience it first hand ;)

Below spring pressure on the TIAL - there is a lot of chatter & now that I have removed the sound deadening the suction from the turbo is audible as is the chatter.

At WOT the noise is overtaken by the exhaust but in between changes - I don't hear very much.

M-R-P
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 00:18
if you say so, I just thought they were Max Power Wannabees. Did you use to try and get your automobiles featured in said retired magazine?

I have Max Power pedal covers on my P2 :D

M-R-P
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 00:19
Come to Trax and experience it first hand ;)

Below spring pressure on the TIAL - there is a lot of chatter & now that I have removed the sound deadening the suction from the turbo is audible as is the chatter.

At WOT the noise is overtaken by the exhaust but in between changes - I don't hear very much.

I won't be at Trax mate but I'll be watching the videos ;)

Plodmonkey
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 00:22

You need to be shot if that is true

MIKESC70T5
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 08:02

Put them on the Starlet mate lol.

M-R-P
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 08:07
Nope - they look good in my footwell with the Volvo logo projected on them ;)

stribo
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 10:14

Are you in competition with your neighbour to see who can be the biggest chav?

By the way lanky is tall and thin, and you only fulfil one of the criteria. :P

M-R-P
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 10:25
Dunno what you mean lol, I'm a prime specimen of butchness :D

You've seen my pedals, they look pretty good. Bolt - on too, none of this strapon crap, I had to drill them ;)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 11:19
You've got a way to go yet Martin, init...

http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/images/myOldVolvo740/FRONT%20Inside.JPG

stribo
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 11:36

That could well be the look he's going for, but in pink rather than red.;)

oblark
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 11:42
Dunno what you mean lol, I'm a prime specimen of butchness :D

You've seen my pedals, they look pretty good. Bolt - on too, none of this strapon crap, I had to drill them ;)

Have you drilled holes in your wifes car ? does she know ? :)

M-R-P
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 11:45

Ummm...

I prefer Betsy's interior mate ;)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 11:50
I thought you'd be up for a spot of footwell neon?

M-R-P
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 12:03
projectors are the way forward mate ;)

no1tosh
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 18:49
haha look what talking about a dump valve has started. got some more pipe from work, i found a secret stash in the paint room. so i can get that bladdy dv out.

it runs so much better without it, feels so much responsive.

so whats this coin trick then? do you put a 2p inbetween the blanking plate and the spring?

weagie
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 20:35
I am now confused about this dump valve/ induction cone thing. I have a k&n induction kit and it sounds like the car is breathing out when i lift off. Kinda like Darth Vader lol. I like it but I'm guessing its not meant to sound this way? I've yet to fit my forge bov but to be honest i don't know were its meant to go and i don't have a blanking plate. Do i need a blank or just raid the piggy bank for a 2p? Besides, were is the recirc valve? I don't know what it looks like. NA engines are far easier lol

Rudeyboy18
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 20:39
I am now confused about this dump valve/ induction cone thing. I have a k&n induction kit and it sounds like the car is breathing out when i lift off. Kinda like Darth Vader lol. I like it but I'm guessing its not meant to sound this way? I've yet to fit my forge bov but to be honest i don't know were its meant to go and i don't have a blanking plate. Do i need a blank or just raid the piggy bank for a 2p? Besides, were is the recirc valve? I don't know what it looks like. NA engines are far easier lol

http://youtu.be/56ZKczCvvj4

Just blank the recirculating vlave off that's actually on the turbo its self. Don't fit a dump valve and remove the lining on the underside of bonnet and it will sound similar to this

weagie
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 20:51
http://youtu.be/56ZKczCvvj4

Just blank the recirculating vlave off that's actually on the turbo its self. Don't fit a dump valve and remove the lining on the underside of bonnet and it will sound similar to this

hehe that's the muts nuts :)

no1tosh
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 21:55
i just took my missus out, she hares it lol, but ive just took off the sound deadning. awsome!!!!!

get a forge turbo blanking plate, get it fitted and smile all the way home:cool:

i still want to know where behind the blanking plate i put this 2p, i want BARK hehe

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 22:45
Just for Martin... I went for a spin (at lunch time)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKGPmLbJeEY

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 23:24
[video=youtube_share;56ZKczCvvj4]

Lambda light is on - oops.

M-R-P
Thursday 27th June 2013, 00:44
That's lovely Dave. A nice mix of chirps and whistles. Were you trying to do a low 14s off that roundabout? :D

Biff
Thursday 27th June 2013, 01:49
You want a forge blanking plate dude, it replaces the original re-circ on the turbo. Martin put the 2p inside the blanking plate behind the spring to space it out giving the spring more pressure resulting in a "bark" as Martin put it. Cost ya about £30 for the plate & its fairly straight forward to fit if you have patience to take things off to get to it. Best mod I've done so far. Lol

M-R-P
Thursday 27th June 2013, 10:42
i just took my missus out, she hares it lol, but ive just took off the sound deadning. awsome!!!!!

get a forge turbo blanking plate, get it fitted and smile all the way home:cool:

i still want to know where behind the blanking plate i put this 2p, i want BARK hehe

You might be getting a blanking plate mixed up with the recirc valve mate. A blanking plate replaces the recirc valve to allow you to fit a DV. The recirc is bolted to the side of the turbo with 3 10mm bolts and is a pig to get off. Remove it, pull the rubber disk off (spring will come with it) stick 2p in the bit where the spring sits and put it all back on.

I'm struggling to get the bark every time, it seems to only do it at 3/4 boost under certain circumstances. I think I needed another 2p lol.

The other option is to fit a one way valve in the pipe that operates the recirc valve, then you get this noise...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zul7U5AFr9c

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 27th June 2013, 12:00
That's lovely Dave. A nice mix of chirps and whistles. Were you trying to do a low 14s off that roundabout? :D

I only did it to demonstrate the noise - you did say you wanted to know. So have I started a trend then?

M-R-P
Thursday 27th June 2013, 12:07
It's a good sound - suits the car and not too intrusive in the cabin. I think it's easy to overdo these things and end up with a barrage of intrusive/annoying noises. I might get round to doing something similar one day ;)

Thanks for the vid Dave :)

stribo
Thursday 27th June 2013, 12:38
Have I stumbled onto the Subaru Impreza forum by mistake? Really? Are we now going to see who's car sounds the most like a chav's? Tell you what lets see whose got the biggest tailpipe too. :rollseyes:

M-R-P
Thursday 27th June 2013, 12:52
Have I stumbled onto the Subaru Impreza forum by mistake? Really? Are we now going to see who's car sounds the most like a chav's? Tell you what lets see whose got the biggest tailpipe too. :rollseyes:

And who's just bought a noisy Zorst for their R...?

tichai
Thursday 27th June 2013, 13:11

Easy one, that Mazda at the softies meet last Sunday :D

M-R-P
Thursday 27th June 2013, 13:13
Easy one, that Mazda at the softies meet last Sunday :D

Should've got a pic of those fake tailpipes with the pea-shooters inside lol.

stribo
Thursday 27th June 2013, 13:25
And who's just bought a noisy Zorst for their R...?

It's not much noisier, and still looks pretty standard.:P

V70 Graham
Thursday 27th June 2013, 13:33

I did, will try and post it later.

M-R-P
Thursday 27th June 2013, 13:44
It's not much noisier, and still looks pretty standard.:P
Bit of a let-down then ;)

I did, will try and post it later.
Good man ;)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 27th June 2013, 13:54

It was Martin wot made me do it LOL.

Even so - Do you like it? (and yes I am digging for compliments)

T5frankie
Thursday 27th June 2013, 14:16

if you went on the impreza froum you would see that they hate chavs as much as anyone else, same as the ford forums

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 27th June 2013, 14:43
if you went on the impreza froum you would see that they hate chavs as much as anyone else, same as the ford forums

Just as well we have you then ;)

T5frankie
Thursday 27th June 2013, 15:11
Just as well we have you then ;)

we all have our part to play here :remybussi

stribo
Thursday 27th June 2013, 15:31

Are you trying to tell me that no-one on the Impreza forum likes loud dump valves and big exhausts? Lol

M-R-P
Thursday 27th June 2013, 15:40
Are you trying to tell me that no-one on the Impreza forum likes loud dump valves and big exhausts? Lol

lol, and nobody on the starlet forums like Burberry and white baseball caps!

T5frankie
Thursday 27th June 2013, 15:41

about the same as on any other forum

Craig1985
Thursday 27th June 2013, 18:40
Those vids sound so so nice, I love the chatter. It noticeable enough without being too annoying and with the different vids a few different sounds depending on how its done.
Love it.

shrekblackR
Thursday 27th June 2013, 18:55
Going over to see MRP in a bit ill get him to vid mine on a run ill show ya how loud things can be lol

M-R-P
Thursday 27th June 2013, 19:03
Ya bloody chav.

I'll get me camera lol.

V70 Graham
Thursday 27th June 2013, 21:54

Piccy, as promised.....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/graham1326/P1010773_zpsf7d24186.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/graham1326/media/P1010773_zpsf7d24186.jpg.html)

M-R-P
Thursday 27th June 2013, 22:29
As promised, a couple of minutes in Shrek's car...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ8hQQJDheM

V70 Graham
Thursday 27th June 2013, 22:32
Are you sure that's not YOU making those noises ?

M-R-P
Thursday 27th June 2013, 22:32
And another quick one :)

claymore
Thursday 27th June 2013, 22:40
Unfortunately, you can't hear my chatter over all the other noise, ohh, and who's that ahead of me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR36A7FDJdE

shrekblackR
Thursday 27th June 2013, 23:22
Wow !! That's sounds amazing man well done

weagie
Friday 28th June 2013, 19:33
Unfortunately, you can't hear my chatter over all the other noise, ohh, and who's that ahead of me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR36A7FDJdE

I want that noise in my life!

Craig1985
Saturday 29th June 2013, 19:01
I do love the way these sound, they all have slightly different sounds behind them. I love the chatter like in Martins one and the change between chirp and chatter in shrekblackR's, turbo chatter is brilliant.
I was wondering though is this what they call compressor stall? I thought that compressor stall was quite a bad thing for turbos although it sounds so good?
Or am I just getting confused between the different things?

claymore
Saturday 29th June 2013, 19:07
It's not compressor stall as such. it's just the blades chopping up the air, plus the Volvo turbos are to small to be harmed by compressor stall.

Craig1985
Saturday 29th June 2013, 19:25
It's not compressor stall as such. it's just the blades chopping up the air, plus the Volvo turbos are to small to be harmed by compressor stall.

That's cool, I just wasn't sure as one of my previous turbos a few years back had it and it did start to have an affect on the turbo but the chatter was amazing. Sounded like a proper external wastegate and so on.
I was just bearing it all in mind as still looking for one at present and then looking at what things I'd do as and when I do get one.
Didnt think people would be recommending doing it if it actually did kill off the turbos on these in that way.