PDA

View Full Version : Engine System Service Required

chris_bobuk
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 12:01
Hi,

I have a V50 D5 and this has appeared on the dash this morning, Engine System Service Required with a fault code 019 when the trip reset is held in.
I've tried reading up and it's either the DPF Eloy tank or the oil level high on the engine but I'm not sure which? Before I drain some oil out does anyone know for sure what it is? The oil is about at max so I'm swaying towards that, obviously the garage didn't look at the oil level sticker when filling it.

Chris

M-R-P
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 12:19
Probably not the oil, you'll probably need to be well over the max line to trigger a fault. DPF is often a problem if the car doesn't do much motorway driving from what I've seen and the additive tank needs to be topped up at every service.

chris_bobuk
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 12:36
I've just spoke to a main dealer and Indy and both asked me where the oil level was and suspected that. I thought the Eloy tank on them didn't have a level indication it just had a counter in the ecu that gets reset every time its been filled? It was just serviced and they said the tank was reset etc.

M-R-P
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 13:08
I'd go with the dealer's advice then mate, siphon some oil out through the dipstick (less messy than the sump plug)

chris_bobuk
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 13:14
Good job you mentioned the dipstick as I was going to do the sump plug! I'm sure we have a pump to use on the dipstick that's for the boat ill have to have a look see if I can find it.
Problem is I work away and have to leave it as it is for 2 weeks now until I get back

M-R-P
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 13:27
No thrashing it then lol.

chris_bobuk
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 13:48
What's thrashing?..........lol

nobananas
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 22:42
Do the D5's have an additive tank ?. I thought it was only the 1.6 and 2.0 Pug/Citroen engined ones. I know they usually last about 80k before needing refilling.

chris_bobuk
Thursday 27th June 2013, 06:33
As far as I know some do and later ones don't. I have the tank in front of the rear axle where it should be.

lance
Thursday 27th June 2013, 09:21
I've heard the later d5 units don't like much more than 1/2 a dipstick of oil, shortly it would not have cost Volvo much to change the dip stick!

chris_bobuk
Thursday 27th June 2013, 10:19
I would buy a corrected dip stick if they offered me it, saves any confusion about where the oil should be. Its looking like I'll be taking some oil out to see if it clears the alarm

jimv50
Saturday 26th October 2013, 19:13
Any further developments on this problem as I have exactly the same problem on my 2006 V50 2.0D.
I believe I do not have a Elyos (pig fat) tank fitted for this car as the eigth character on the VIN is a 4 which I have read means there is a dpf fitted but a 'dry' type.
Oil has been changed recently, three times actually after garage overtightened sump plug and had to replace the sump, and oil level looks full enough.
Loving the car still, and would not buy the hatchback replacement Volvo have put out.

chris_bobuk
Sunday 27th October 2013, 12:27
Yes, the oil level was too high, if its on max then that will be the problem. You need to drain it down to min to get the message to clear then I topped mine back up to half way and all has been fine for a few thousand miles now

jimv50
Sunday 27th October 2013, 18:11
Thanks, I'll get around to it when the 'Great Storm' has passed us all by.

johnibbertson
Tuesday 16th February 2021, 21:06
how can the car computer know the level of oil on dipstick doesnot make sense?

David P
Wednesday 17th February 2021, 15:57
how can the car computer know the level of oil on dipstick doesnot make sense?

It's either magic, or it has an oil level sensor? ;)

johnibbertson
Thursday 25th February 2021, 22:03
well its certainly nothing to do with code 019